It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....



Open to All Other Health Topics Message Board

  • Profuse night sweats

  • Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Thread Tools Search this Thread
    Old 03-25-2004, 03:26 PM   #1
    emma72
    Junior Member
     
    emma72's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Feb 2004
    Posts: 29
    emma72 HB User
    Profuse night sweats

    I am a 32 year old female that is suffering from terrible sweating when I sleep. I have seen my doctor and gone over all medications I am taking and he ran a thyroid test to make sure that was not the problem. He was unable to give me an answer and I am really suffering. I never sleep well as I wake up several times a night soaking wet with sweat. In addition, it also happens if I take a nap during the day. There is absolutely no connection to ambient temperature - I have made my house as cold as possible. So, it seems that my body cannot control my temperature during sleep. HELP!

     
    Sponsors Lightbulb
       
    Old 03-25-2004, 04:16 PM   #2
    Kissa
    Senior Veteran
    (female)
     
    Kissa's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Mar 2004
    Location: O Hi O
    Posts: 2,015
    Kissa HB UserKissa HB UserKissa HB UserKissa HB UserKissa HB User
    Re: Profuse night sweats

    This may not answer your question directly but here are some of the following illnesses/causes that can cause night sweats

    CAUSES OF NIGHT SWEATS

    Menopause or Andropause. Menopause in women is the most common cause of night sweats. However, some men also suffer from night sweats during the male menopause, or andropause.

    HIV, tuberculosis. In fact, any infectious disease or condition that brings on a fever can cause night sweats.

    Diabetes. Diabetes can also cause night sweats.

    Sleep apnea. This is the one that most concerns us. Night sweats can also be a sign of sleep apnea. If you also suffer from severe snoring and excessive daytime sleepiness, it might be time for a study.

    Alcohol, some drugs, spicy foods (prescription). Consumption of any of these can cause night sweats.

    Endometriosis


    Because you said you don't sleep well is it possible that you may have Sleep Apnea? Are you an excessive or loud snorer or was it ever mentioned before? It may be worth asking your Dr. if all else fails to provide an answer.

    Good luck to you I hope you find the cause of your night sweats!

    Kissa

     
    Old 03-25-2004, 05:53 PM   #3
    abbygirl2
    Veteran
     
    abbygirl2's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Jan 2004
    Posts: 466
    abbygirl2 HB User
    Re: Profuse night sweats

    Some heart disorders can also cause night sweats. Just thought I would add that.

    I also have terrible night sweats although I have been able to control it with having a fan blow on me all night. It happens when I nap as well. I have had many many tests and to date they have yet to figure out the cause. I feel the same about my body being unable to control my body temp while sleeping. Do you also get hot flashes or anything like that during the day.
    It really interupts my sleep too-let me know if you figure this out.

     
    Old 03-25-2004, 06:29 PM   #4
    emma72
    Junior Member
     
    emma72's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Feb 2004
    Posts: 29
    emma72 HB User
    Re: Profuse night sweats

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by abbygirl2
    Some heart disorders can also cause night sweats. Just thought I would add that.

    I also have terrible night sweats although I have been able to control it with having a fan blow on me all night. It happens when I nap as well. I have had many many tests and to date they have yet to figure out the cause. I feel the same about my body being unable to control my body temp while sleeping. Do you also get hot flashes or anything like that during the day.
    It really interupts my sleep too-let me know if you figure this out.

    I am so sorry that you suffer from this too! It is really miserable, isn't it? And yes, occasionally I do get hot flashes/sweats during the day - and almost always with no apparent reason. I will definitely let you know if I find out anything. I plan on seeing the doctor again soon.

     
    Old 03-25-2004, 06:34 PM   #5
    emma72
    Junior Member
     
    emma72's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Feb 2004
    Posts: 29
    emma72 HB User
    Re: Profuse night sweats

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kissa
    This may not answer your question directly but here are some of the following illnesses/causes that can cause night sweats

    CAUSES OF NIGHT SWEATS

    Menopause or Andropause. Menopause in women is the most common cause of night sweats. However, some men also suffer from night sweats during the male menopause, or andropause.

    HIV, tuberculosis. In fact, any infectious disease or condition that brings on a fever can cause night sweats.

    Diabetes. Diabetes can also cause night sweats.

    Sleep apnea. This is the one that most concerns us. Night sweats can also be a sign of sleep apnea. If you also suffer from severe snoring and excessive daytime sleepiness, it might be time for a study.

    Alcohol, some drugs, spicy foods (prescription). Consumption of any of these can cause night sweats.

    Endometriosis


    Because you said you don't sleep well is it possible that you may have Sleep Apnea? Are you an excessive or loud snorer or was it ever mentioned before? It may be worth asking your Dr. if all else fails to provide an answer.

    Good luck to you I hope you find the cause of your night sweats!

    Kissa

    Thanks for the info. I do have diabetes but my diabetes doctor seems to think this would not be the case as my blood sugars are normal during the time that these occur. I am not sure about the snoring. I will have to ask my boyfriend - although I think he would have mentioned it by now. No one has ever told me that apnea could be the problem but I think I read somewhere that it is sometimes considered to be a sleep disorder in and of itself (probably because they have so many cases like mine - with no other obvious answer). Endometriosis - I will ask my doctor about that one. That has never been mentioned before either.

    Thanks again - great info and gives me some things to work with!

     
    Old 03-25-2004, 07:35 PM   #6
    Timber
    Senior Veteran
    (female)
     
    Timber's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Jul 2001
    Location: usa
    Posts: 1,534
    Timber HB UserTimber HB User
    Re: Profuse night sweats

    Lymphoma is also a cause of night sweats

     
    Old 03-25-2004, 11:21 PM   #7
    abbygirl2
    Veteran
     
    abbygirl2's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Jan 2004
    Posts: 466
    abbygirl2 HB User
    Re: Profuse night sweats

    I just have to add that although I can control the sweats with having a fan blowing on me-my FEET still sweat. Do you have this problem as well? Or is it just your head/chest etc.?

     
    Old 03-26-2004, 12:14 AM   #8
    zuzu8
    Senior Veteran
    (female)
     
    Join Date: Jan 2003
    Location: California, U.S.A.
    Posts: 3,093
    zuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB User
    Re: Profuse night sweats

    Emma-
    Just want to add something about sleep apnea. There are basically two kinds: "obstructive" and "central".
    In obstructive sleep apnea there is pharyngeal narrowing which results in a complete block to breathing during sleep. This is the kind that causes snoring.

    With central sleep apnea, a neurological phenomenon happens where a person may just not take a breath for an unusually long time, then suddenly inhale rapidly; also, the person may inhale at regular intervals, but exhaling becomes troublesome, again, due to some neurological failure, such as muscles relaxing at that moment, when they should be open.
    Daytime sleepiness is common but usually there is no snoring present (unlike OSA). So, if "central" sleep apnea is the problem, your boyfriend wouldn't be aware of it!

    zuzu xx
    *

     
    Old 03-26-2004, 05:55 AM   #9
    emma72
    Junior Member
     
    emma72's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Feb 2004
    Posts: 29
    emma72 HB User
    Re: Profuse night sweats

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by abbygirl2
    I just have to add that although I can control the sweats with having a fan blowing on me-my FEET still sweat. Do you have this problem as well? Or is it just your head/chest etc.?

    Oh yes - it includes my feet, head, chest (really bad there), thighs and the backs of my knees. I use a ceiling fan but I have not noticed that it makes that big of a difference. Are you using a regular fan or a ceiling one? (not that it should matter I guess, I am just curious)

     
    Old 03-26-2004, 05:57 AM   #10
    emma72
    Junior Member
     
    emma72's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Feb 2004
    Posts: 29
    emma72 HB User
    Re: Profuse night sweats

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by zuzu8
    Emma-
    Just want to add something about sleep apnea. There are basically two kinds: "obstructive" and "central".
    In obstructive sleep apnea there is pharyngeal narrowing which results in a complete block to breathing during sleep. This is the kind that causes snoring.

    With central sleep apnea, a neurological phenomenon happens where a person may just not take a breath for an unusually long time, then suddenly inhale rapidly; also, the person may inhale at regular intervals, but exhaling becomes troublesome, again, due to some neurological failure, such as muscles relaxing at that moment, when they should be open.
    Daytime sleepiness is common but usually there is no snoring present (unlike OSA). So, if "central" sleep apnea is the problem, your boyfriend wouldn't be aware of it!
    *

    Ah ha. Thanks for the info. I do have a lot of daytime sleepiness. Very interesting.

     
    Old 03-26-2004, 08:44 AM   #11
    abbygirl2
    Veteran
     
    abbygirl2's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Jan 2004
    Posts: 466
    abbygirl2 HB User
    Re: Profuse night sweats

    I use a big floor fan. DH hates it.

     
    Old 03-27-2004, 06:30 AM   #12
    Teresiao
    Newbie
     
    Teresiao's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Mar 2004
    Posts: 3
    Teresiao HB User
    Re: Profuse night sweats

    [QUOTE=emma72]I am a 32 year old female that is suffering from terrible sweating when I sleep.

    You have my sincere sympathy. I also had terrible night sweats twice for two major periods in my life. The first time was after major surgery (I lost a kidney due to a gigantic tumor), and the next time seemed to be unexplained for years. Then, one day, when I had a sinus infection, I was referred to an ENT specialist who told me that my entire sinus cavities were solidly packed with infection and that it would take years for it to get that bad. I had the sinus surgery, and my night sweats disappeared.

    There is one other condition that you seem to be too young for, and that is menopause. If you have no infections, go to an endocrinologist and have a complete hormone workup. I have heard of women in their early thirties who went through menopause, and though it is rare, it is not impossible.

    Terry

    Last edited by Teresiao; 03-27-2004 at 06:30 AM.

     
    Old 03-27-2004, 06:53 PM   #13
    emma72
    Junior Member
     
    emma72's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Feb 2004
    Posts: 29
    emma72 HB User
    Re: Profuse night sweats

    [QUOTE=Teresiao]
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by emma72
    I am a 32 year old female that is suffering from terrible sweating when I sleep.

    You have my sincere sympathy. I also had terrible night sweats twice for two major periods in my life. The first time was after major surgery (I lost a kidney due to a gigantic tumor), and the next time seemed to be unexplained for years. Then, one day, when I had a sinus infection, I was referred to an ENT specialist who told me that my entire sinus cavities were solidly packed with infection and that it would take years for it to get that bad. I had the sinus surgery, and my night sweats disappeared.

    There is one other condition that you seem to be too young for, and that is menopause. If you have no infections, go to an endocrinologist and have a complete hormone workup. I have heard of women in their early thirties who went through menopause, and though it is rare, it is not impossible.

    Terry
    Thanks so much for your understanding and sympathy. I am very sorry to hear that you have had such serious medical issues to deal with and I am sure that you have suffered in many ways. I will ask my endocrinologist about a hormone work-up (yes, I have a regular endo doc - I have type 1 diabetes). Frankly, I have been suspicious of hormones all along and would not be surprised if they are not "in range". Also, my mother went through early menopause (late thirties) so you are right, that could be it.

    Thanks again.

     
    Old 03-27-2004, 07:38 PM   #14
    abbygirl2
    Veteran
     
    abbygirl2's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Jan 2004
    Posts: 466
    abbygirl2 HB User
    Re: Profuse night sweats

    I have always thought it was hormone related but my Dr doesn't seem to think so. And she says that I am too young for menopause. I am curious though about the sinus connection(or possible connection). I have suffered on and off with sinus problems for years-and they are really bothering me right now. I will have to mention this to my Dr. Thanks for the info.

     
    Closed Thread

    Related Topics
    Thread Thread Starter Board Replies Last Post
    night sweats, EBV, flu, swollen nodes...had all these same time but can't distinguish wowzers Epstein Barr Virus (EBV) 1 10-21-2009 12:15 PM
    Night sweats anyone? goldyfm Lupus 4 06-07-2009 11:44 AM
    night sweats mmstrong Women's Health 1 06-16-2008 05:30 AM
    Profuse overall sweating??? sondra52 General Health 15 09-06-2007 03:30 PM
    Does anyone ever have profuse sweating? nightangel Menopause 3 06-04-2007 06:26 AM
    Night sweats sspara Cancer: Prostate 5 06-07-2006 10:11 AM
    Night Sweats, Panic Attack bullun Panic Disorders 4 04-02-2006 07:07 AM
    Profuse head sweating anyone? Kayley Menopause 2 12-03-2004 10:20 AM




    Thread Tools Search this Thread
    Search this Thread:

    Advanced Search

    Posting Rules
    You may not post new threads
    You may not post replies
    You may not post attachments
    You may not edit your posts

    BB code is On
    Smilies are On
    [IMG] code is Off
    HTML code is Off
    Trackbacks are Off
    Pingbacks are Off
    Refbacks are Off




    Sign Up Today!

    Ask our community of thousands of members your health questions, and learn from others experiences. Join the conversation!

    I want my free account

    All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:49 AM.





    © 2022 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved.
    Do not copy or redistribute in any form!