It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Open to All Other Health Topics Message Board

• PMDD and antidepressants

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-25-2004, 06:53 PM   #1
    cancungal
    (female)

cancungal HB User
    PMDD and antidepressants

I wasn't sure where to post this topic. I have recenlty been diagnosed with PMDD and prescribed Prozac. Have taken it for one week with severe nausea and so now am being switched to Celexa. I am just wondering if anyone has taken Celexa?! Obviously I don't want any side effects, just wondering about it. I am doing Atkins way of eating and also do not want to run into any weight gain from new meds. Thanks!!

cancungal

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-25-2004, 07:23 PM   #2
    quincy
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

quincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB User
    Re: PMDD and antidepressants

Hi.....i took Celexa for a week and basically slept, slept, got up and then slept. I'm on Effexor XR for the past year and a half and doing well on it. Slight nausea was the only negative side effect during the first week.

Acronyms aren't my strong suit.....what does PMDD stand for?

Thanks
    quincy

Old 03-25-2004, 07:35 PM   #3
    cancungal
    (female)

cancungal HB User
    Thumbs up Re: PMDD and antidepressants

PMDD is premenstrual dysphoria disorder-basically PMS. I was afraid of the sleep issues. I cannot have that, I do daycare, could you imagine? Well, I guess I just have to give it a try and hope that it doesn't affect me like that. Thanks!!

Old 03-25-2004, 08:32 PM   #4
    Timber
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Timber HB UserTimber HB User

I've taken Celexa for 4 years now, and I like it very much. I had a few side effects while starting on it (weird dreams, spaciness), but after a week or two they went away - and since then I've had no side effects or unusual symptoms (no weight gain either). Just goes to show that everyone reacts differently to drugs.

Celexa is supposed to have fewer side effects than the other SSRIs, so I say, if you need an antidepressant Celexa's as good as any.

Old 03-25-2004, 09:26 PM   #5
    Kissa
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Kissa HB UserKissa HB UserKissa HB UserKissa HB UserKissa HB User

Everyone is different in how they react to anti depressants so sometimes you need to try various ones before you find the one that is most effective for you. Also sometimes you have to wait out the initial side effects and it gets better. Celexa is alot safer with it's side effects say than Paxil or Wellbutrin. Effexor has caused my husband to have siezures and I was unable to form words or even speak within an hour of taking it yet others are fine.
    Probably one of the better anti-depressants out there with the least side effects is Lexapro, a more pure form of Celexa, however I am not sure if it's something that will help your condition.

Last edited by Kissa; 03-25-2004 at 09:26 PM.

Closed Thread