It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Open to All Other Health Topics Message Board

• cranial bulging / dizziness / headaches

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-30-2004, 03:20 AM   #1
    mrelusive

mrelusive HB User
    cranial bulging / dizziness / headaches

Tried this in the headache forum, haven't gotten anything from it... figured i'd try my luck here.

for the past few years now i have have a few areas on my skull that swell out a good .5"-.75" at times. there are two on the back of my head at the same 'latitude' as my ears, two on the top of my head at the same 'longitude' as my ears, two above / in my eyebrows, and one as kind of a 'point' on the top of my head, a lil bit towards the back. At any given time, they are generally swollen out about a 1/4" or so, but at times one side or a certain area will be more swollen than others. They are always pretty tender.

Often times, I will feel an area start to become more swollen, and then a headache will occur, localized in that area. Sometimes the headache will occur first, though. I can rub on these areas and my sinuses feel like they start to drain some, but never a whole lot. I genarlly have a lot of sinus pressure anyway, and pressing anywhere on my head / face can start this draining thing... so i don't know if the bulges are sinus-related or what. When i get bulging or a localized headache in the back of my head, i tend to get weak and slow.

A couple mornings ago i got out of bed to turn my alarm off and i felt a few little fuzzy kinda 'charges' in the back of head, and with each one i heard a static. piercing kind of noise and a wave of dizziness came over me. Not like my normal dizziness, but a near-blackout kind of thing. The noise was sort of like two marbles hitting together, that kinda thing. I tried walking slowly to my computer chair, and i very nearly collapsed several times. It didn't seem to be based on my movement, because i sat down and was still, and the waves continued to come. I even laid back down in my bed on my back and the waves continued, with gradually increasing intervals of time between them. through out the rest of the day i'd get small, faint charges and waves and lighter spells that were more like my normal dizziness.

It doesn't seem to be a sleep-related thing, although i do not sleep well (i'm going to a sleep clinic soon to be assessed by a fifth doctor...) The bulging and dizziness happen often and at any given point in the day, the near-blackouts only happen every once in a while, but do not seem to be affected by time either...

does this sound like anything in particular to you guys? i'm not up on my medical terminology so if anyone needs clarifciation, just ask...

edit: i also have eye discomfort / pain if i close them and move them in any direction... the muscles feel very tired or under pressure, and when i move them it feels like i am 'stretching' them as i would my arms or legs after a long workout...

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-30-2004, 03:49 AM   #2
    hanelo4
    Inactive
    (female)

hanelo4 HB User
    Re: cranial bulging / dizziness / headaches

Hmmmm, I was first going to say that is sounds a lot like sinuses because I get the pain, headaches and pressure a lot. I also get the dizzyness too. When my sinuses start, I usually get a stiff neck, then a bad headache. Let me ask you this, are you on any medication at the moment? Some medications cause weird symptoms like this. I would also definitely see a doctor right away. If you are feeling like you are going to collapse, there must be something wrong. It may not be bad at all, but I would get it checked out anyway.

The buldges to me at first seemed like a swollen lymph node, but I don't think it would make you feel like you were going to pass out. See a doctor soon hun.

Chantel

Old 03-30-2004, 12:11 PM   #3
    mrelusive

mrelusive HB User

i'm not on any meds.. i have been a couple times over the past few years, but none of em seemd to add or take away from this stuff..

Old 03-30-2004, 01:16 PM   #4
    quincy
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

quincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB User

It sounds as though you should request that an MRI be done to make sure there isn't anything wonky happening. I can imagine the stress you're feeling at this time.

Actually, your symtoms sound a lot like what I have if I were to analyse them to the point of intricate wording. I see a chiropractor after going through the doctors and neurologist, etc. When I get headaches, evrything feels like it's going to explode, and there are certain ones that cause a vein to pop out on my left temple.

I'm not suggesting you GO to a chiropractor....but for me it's been the only results I've ever gotten.

Have you considered to have cranio sacral work done? Sounds as though you may be the perfect patient for that. I've had it done a few times and it's absolutely the most interesting experience.

I would for sure have an MRI, or even a CAT scan to make sure you don't have any blockages happening.

Are you a smoker? Could you have artherosclerosis? Is your cholesterol high? Have you had your thyroid checked? Have you had an X-ray of your sinuses? the above suggestion of sinus infection is definitely a possibility.

When we are in pain, the rest of the body compensates. That could lead to neck/shoulder/upper back/jaw tightening of muscles....which can lead to all sorts of painful manifestations.

I sure hope you find relief soon. It could be serious or not, but there are at least options to rule out the most life threatening stuff.

Please let us know how it goes.
    quincy

Old 03-30-2004, 03:36 PM   #5
    mrelusive

mrelusive HB User

heh, never smoked a damn thing in my life. never had any cranio-sacral stuff done either, although it does sound like it'd be an interesting experience. I am in the US, though... not as big a thing over here.

I did have a CAT scan about a year and a half ago (on christmas eve, actually... had to leave work, get my CAT scan, then go back to work..) they were lookin at my adenoids and septum and stuff though, so i'm not sure what images they got or what they looked at exactly... seemed like they were only looking for bone / tissue structure stuff

not sure exactly what artherosclerosis is... i did have my thyroid checked a while ago and they said it was normal, but my mom has a but of a thyroid problem. they kinda didn't tell her about it for a while because it was borderline and "not serious." they told her it was normal for a while even though it hadn't been. so i'm not sure how much to believe my doc about the thyroid stuff. And i believe my cholesterol is fine.

i appreciate you 'get well' wishes.. this stuff has gone on for too long, ya know? feels good to be able to at least get feedback beyond "yeah that's a problem" on it. thanks again!

Last edited by mrelusive; 03-30-2004 at 03:44 PM.

Closed Thread