It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Open to All Other Health Topics Message Board

• Bruising easily

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-14-2004, 12:05 PM   #1
    cancungal
    (female)

cancungal HB User
    Bruising easily

Hi guys. I have been bruising very easily lately. Here is my background...I am on the Atkins diet (since Feb) which means I have not been drinking milk-but I never was a big milk drinker, maybe 3 glasses a week. About 3 weeks ago I got hit in the shin with a softball and got a huge dark bruise that lasted until last week. From then on it seemed as if I have been bruising too easily. The bruises I have don't hurt. They are dark purple, all over my arms and legs. Currenlty have 6-7 on each arm. I am not sure what is even causing them (bumps, ets). Now I just found one on the base of my thumb-between my thumb and pointer finger about the size of a quarter, very dark and red. Now I am sure I am fine, but I am wondering if I am lacking something in my diet that anyone knows of. If anyone has any advice, I'd love to get some. People are asking me why my legs are all bruised and its a big embarassing. Thanks so much!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-14-2004, 01:34 PM   #2
    blueyd1
    (female)

blueyd1 HB User
    Re: Bruising easily

Get yourself some nice lemonade or orange juice. It tastes great and it will boost your vitamin C like crazy. In a couple weeks you will notice a difference. But remember, it's a water soluable vitamin, so drinking tons in one day won't make any better of a difference. However, a couple glasses on a daily basis should help you very much. Oh yeah, and if you don't like to drink citrus bevs, just go to your local pharmacy and pick up a bottle of Vitamin C. ~Jewlz~

Old 05-14-2004, 01:55 PM   #3
    zuzu8
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

zuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB User

Cancungal,

The Atkins Diet is known as a Ketogenic diet.... Low-carb diet plans trigger a process called ketosis - which is basically an accumulation of excessive amounts of ketone bodies in body tissues and fluids. The idea behind ketogenic diets (e.g. Atkins et al) is to force the body to lose weight by burning body fat.

Ketosis is not an uncommon condition. Our bodies go into a state of ketosis quite often. So whether ketogenic diets are healthy or unhealthy isn't likely to be due to ketosis per se. But the Atkin's Diet over the long haul can be associated with a lack of vitamins/minerals caused by not enough carbs. Lack of diet nutrition in low carb ketogenic diets is one reason why Atkins Diet recommends so many vitamin supplements.

If you remain on Atkins very long you may be at risk for inadequate vitamin and mineral intake. Are you taking enough vitamin supplements, as recommended by the Atkins folks?

Ketosis is known to increase the likelihood of bruising.

You can research "ketogenic diets" for more info....

zuzu xxx

Old 05-17-2004, 07:20 AM   #4
    cancungal
    (female)

cancungal HB User

THANKS ZUZU! IT MAKES SO MUCH SENSE! GUESS I'LL PUMP UP MY VITAMINS MORE AND SEE IF THAT HELPS!!!

Old 06-06-2004, 09:14 PM   #5
    Dreamer3866

Dreamer3866 HB User

Hi there,

If it's still going on then I suggest you see your Dr as I doubt a diet of any sorts could cause the excessive bruising you describe.
    Your Dr will check your platelet levels, full blood count and maybe do a bleeding coagulation test to see how long a small cut takes to seal over.

Good Luck, Sam

Closed Thread