It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Open to All Other Health Topics Message Board

• Temperature 96.7 Why?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-30-2004, 04:19 PM   #1
    gle56

Temperature 96.7 Why?

I live in AZ. Last night my wife had to turn off the AC because I was cold. I put on sweat pants and sweat shirt and went to bed. The temperature in the house was 80 degrees. I took my temperature and it was 96.7. This has happened one other time. Any ideas as to why? - gle

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-30-2004, 07:05 PM   #2
    SnowyLynne63
    Inactive

SnowyLynne63 HB User
    Re: Temperature 96.7 Why?

That is a normal temp.for some people.99 makes me feel terrible............mine is normaly 97 8 to 98

Old 05-30-2004, 09:47 PM   #3
    Casalett

Casalett HB User

My temperature is also usually low; usually between 96 and 98, but if that's not normal for you, I'd talk to the doctor about it just to be sure. It's not a dangerous temperature, I'm quite sure, but if it's only happened to you once before and you know that's not your normal temp, I'd say call the doctor. Maybe try taking your temp and recording it 4 or 5 times a day over the next few days and see what your average is if you're not sure. Good Luck!

Old 05-30-2004, 10:18 PM   #4
    gle56

It's not my average tempature, but there were two things that might have caused it. One it is starting to get hot out here and I was totally exhausted from exercising. I will talk to the doctor about it though. Thanks - gle

Old 05-31-2004, 02:41 PM   #5
    Al.

Al. HB User

I useually have a lower temp also.... My doctor told me that when they take your temp oraly it is really only measuring the temp in your mouth and not your inner core.It does give a general indication of temp but can be different than your core temp.

Old 06-13-2004, 07:00 AM   #6
    uchimama

uchimama HB User

My normal temp is 97.3. I also have slightly low blood pressure-100/70. But dr says I'm ok.

Old 06-13-2004, 03:30 PM   #7
    SarahF
    Veteran
    (female)

SarahF HB User

if you also have fatigue, dry skin and hair, muscles aches... get your thyroid checked

Old 06-17-2004, 06:36 AM   #8
    dreamer89
    Inactive
    (female)

dreamer89 HB User

low body temp (even tho many doctors don't recognize it) which I suffered from for years, thinking 97 was normal, I think the problem is that doctors see it so much they start to feel it is okay and not harmful.

what they fail to see is such a low body temp is a sign of lowered metabolism, caused by something that is very commonly done and not considered harmful, undereating. reduced body temp is a sign of the body's conservation mode.

in fact you don't even have to be dieting to triggor it all you have to do is just plain not eat enough during the day, espcially earlier in the day. consistently out of habit or fear of fat or whatever if you underfuel, especially consistently, and if you exercise you need even more fuel, then your body perceives a famine situation, even if mild, famines represent a life threatening situation as far as the body's biology is concerned, it will not waste fuel if enough is not brought in continuously.

it not only has to deal with the shortage on a daily basis (thus lowered metabolism, less muscles mass, more fat/muscle ratio, less human growth hormones and thyroid stimulating hormones in reponse to exercise) but plan for those times where food is restricted even more, dieting, too busy to eat, stress that keeps you from eating enough for a while, so the body has to have stored fuel to make up the difference, and to burn hot while in a mild or severe famine would be deadly.

i was on the famine feast cycle as it is called, even when not dieting!! even when I thought I was eating enough! now the past 2+ years I have increased my caloiric intake sometimes force feeding myself because I wasn't hungry but really I was just didn't know it until i ate, real foods mostly, tho I eat ice cream when the urge strikes, but by eating so well on real foods on a consistent basis those ice cream urges only come occassionally, but what benefits have I achieved by eating more, even tho I gained weight, everyone recovers from famines even mild ones(if you are over fat) with some weight gain, some only gain five pounds I gained 45 pounds on top of already overweight body.

1 appetite normalized, cravings for junk stopped (did not happen overnight)

2 increased mental and physcial energy after I hit my highest weight gradually hit me,

3 increased muscle building with little effort (even when lighter all the exercise I did did not increase muscle/fat ratio.

4 better sleep,

5 not thinking about food all the time, can have a life now

6 higher body temps 98.6 has been the norm now.

7 losing weight, 20+ so far

8 loss of fear of all foods including pleasures

9 body controlled eating determines all what when how much I eat.

10 no more dieting (restrictive eating for any reason, what a relief!!!!!!

So eat more to raise that metabolism, it raises it more than exercise,(if you are recovering from a famine even mild then this raising of metabolsim can take months and months to achieve, I mean you wouldn't burn your car hot if you kept running low on gas and a gas station was a long way off would you? i mean you wouldn't run the air conditioner and reve the cars engine for the heck of it if you knew you could only gas up once a week would you?

so why do we think our bodies can run low on fuel consistently and still run hot without burning out?

RR

Old 06-18-2004, 04:25 PM   #9
    itsallgood

itsallgood HB User

Dreamer: I found your post very educational.

I have FOREVER have had a low temp. If I reach 98.6 (normal) I feel so SICK! Yet the doc's say; oh, you don't have a fever. BUT I DO!!!!!!! My temp is typically 96.0-96.5 I had strep throat in december of 02. I ended up in the emergency room hallucinating. My temp was 104.5. Since I know my temp is normally so LOW, it really was like 105.5 or higher.......

And my blood pressure sometimes is so low, it is alarming. (but I've never had any adverse affects from it) 80/40...... 90/50.........(both times I WAS sick)here lately, it has been better, 100/60.

I am 5foot9, and weigh not much over 120. I do not eat as I should and I know this. I do not have food issues, I can eat and eat, or I can not eat. It just depends on what I am eating. Today for example, I have only had 2 cups of coffee, a large glass of milk, and a bananna. That is all that appealed to me today. A few days ago, I had a HUGE pasta dish, and ate all of it.......

I never eat in the morning.

Never.

So. I found your post to be very valid, and possibly something to look into. I just thought some people LOVE to eat, and others don't. And I really don't like to eat all that much.

I do drink LOADS of water, a long standing habit, at least 2 liters a day.

Old 06-24-2004, 05:12 AM   #10
    farscape66
    Senior Veteran

farscape66 HB User

Temperature does vary based on caloric intake. I have been dieting for 2 years and freezing. Temp in the 96 range. Before diet it was normal. Now it's summer and I'm wearing long sleeve shirts at work dur to the high AC setting.

Closed Thread