It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Open to All Other Health Topics Message Board

• Numbness in pinkie and ring fingers???

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-27-2004, 12:58 PM   #1
    kierrasmommy
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

kierrasmommy HB User
    Question Numbness in pinkie and ring fingers???

Hi,
    I'm right handed and I have noticed my right pinkie and ring fingers tend to be kinda numb as if they are half asleep, sometimes it extends up my arm, I don't do alot of writing or computer work and I don't think it's from the way I sleep because it continues throughout the day, I am a side sleeper who tends to toss and turn alot. I have had no injuries either. I do have cystic breasts that I have had biopsied and have never had cancer, since having my daughter 2 years ago the cysts have become less dense. I am in good health and am not overweight, my half sister and half brother have thyroid conditions, my dad has diabetes. I've heard a little about MS but aren't sure what the symptoms could be for that. Any suggestions as to what it could be?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-27-2004, 01:52 PM   #2
    lynnchat
    (female)

lynnchat HB User
    Re: Numbness in pinkie and ring fingers???

I am suffering from the same thing. With all that I have read up on on the internet, it sounds like what we have is cubital tunnel syndrome. It has something to do with the ulnar nerve in the elbow.

Lynn

Old 09-27-2004, 01:59 PM   #3
    kierrasmommy
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

kierrasmommy HB User

How long have you had this? Have you seen any suggestions to get rid of it? Thanks so much I will look it up and see what I can figure out...

Old 09-27-2004, 04:11 PM   #4
    lynnchat
    (female)

lynnchat HB User

Mine has done it for the last 2-3 months. I have not had time to go to the doctor yet.

Lynn

Old 09-27-2004, 04:28 PM   #5
    tkeep13
    (male)

tkeep13 HB User

It certainly sounds like a pinched ulnar nerve, I had some problems with this a while back. My nerve was compressed in the back of my elbow, from the way I would sit at my desk and where I would rest my arm for long periods of time. You might want to take note of any activities that put prolonged pressure to the back of your elbow or anything that would cause you to have your elbow bent for long periods of time. Just bending your arm puts pressure on the nerve. Once I knew what the problem was, I corrected the bad habits and the tingle and numbness went away in a couple weeks. It could be as simple as that.

Old 09-27-2004, 04:39 PM   #6
    Lady50
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Lady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB User

I have the same problem only it is also red on my hand all the way to my wrists. Only started having this problem since I have had untreated hypothyroidism.

I did some research on it and with hypo you get fluid retention which presses on the nerves and causes numbness.

Of course you are probably not hypo. I am just telling you about mine. I can't figure out the redness unless it is fluid retention.

Old 09-27-2004, 06:25 PM   #7
    kierrasmommy
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

kierrasmommy HB User

This is actually the second time I remember this has happened, the first time was a few years ago and I went to the Dr and he said it was pressure on my elbows...which made sense because I would rest my elbow on the desk and rest my head on my hand...but this time I haven't been doing that...I have been at this job for a year and this just started recently again...but I guess tkeep13 kinda made sense...since I found this board I have been typing a bit more than usual... (I'm addicted to this board)...since I'm so bored at work! I'll have to pay attention to this a bit more.
    Lady50, my half-sister has hypo as well. I know it took them a long time to diagnose her so wonder if that could be a cause for me. My hands are kinda blotchy especially my finger tips, but tend to be cold alot.

Old 09-28-2004, 02:17 AM   #8
    Lady50
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Lady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB User

If your half sister has hypo then you probably know what the symptoms are.
    Gaining weight, constipation,headaches, sinus problems,depression,lack of motivation,dry skin,carpul tunnelsyndrome(in some people).

I think there is more but I will stop at that. One day I was at the doctors office and I showed him my hand(what a dumby) and asked him what the redness is. He said" LOOKS LIKE SOME SORT OF VASCULAR CHANGE" . He pursued it no further. He acted like he wanted me to hurry and leave because he has other patients. Of course he is not my doctor anymore.

Betty

Old 09-28-2004, 03:51 AM   #9
    feelbad
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

It could be problems with the ulnar nerve or the C-8 nerve up in the c-spine.Do you have any problems in the neck area or upper shoulders?Just a possibility.

Old 09-28-2004, 08:07 AM   #10
    kierrasmommy
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

kierrasmommy HB User

I'll ask the Dr to do a thyroid screening for me, I can't remember why, but it took a long time for them to diagnose my sister, I'll ask her next time she calls but did you have a hard time confirming it? I mean, with Hypo, the levels are all over the place so is it possible to look normal one test but be high or low on another...should I get a repeat? Should I go when I feel especially low energy?
    I do have some shoulder tensness...I have never had any injuries, but I have alot of knots in my shoulders, I assume because I have a fair bit of weight in the chest area...I'm not so big that I would consider a breast reduction (34D) but I feel like the weight causes some tension in my shoulders, I see a massage therapist every few months and she works pretty hard on them but they don't generally bother me unless I've been on my feet alot and more toward the end of the day if at all. My right hand is more noticable, but the left hand has a bit of it as well. I'd figure because I'm right handed that the muscles would be stronger in that side and have less symptoms but nadda. And it doesn't seem to matter what time of day, first thing in the morning, evening, middle of the night pee breaks, it's always there. I'm going to look up some more on these suggestions... thankyou all so much,
    I did notice on our last road trip something that I look back at now and think kinda odd...we went on a 7 hour journey to my inlaws, but I noticed that I couldn't use my arm rests because my arms would get even more tingly or even fall asleep...I have never had that happen before, and this would happen within minutes so it wasn't from extended use. Even when I was reclined and just resting my arms it would do that....WEIRD!?

Old 09-28-2004, 05:05 PM   #11
    Lady50
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

I am usually on the thyroid boards but I like to roam around and see what is going on.

I am hypo now but not real bad. When I was more hypo, I did have achy shoulders(still have a little bit).Put on the pounds with not much eating. So tired all of the time. I could not hold down a job right now if it involved strenuous exercize.

I can't keep my arms up too much because they start aching. I have a little numbness in my feet and hands. Have sinus congestion all the time. Right now I have a cold and just got over a sinus infection.

Gosh almighty I sound like a darn hypocondriac Actually I am depressed but I can't take antidepressants because it makes my condition worse.

Well it is because of a negligent doctor I have(don't have him anymore thank goodness). I had Graves disease and took Radioactive iodine to kill it. I became hypo in July and he refused to put me on meds to help my condition.
    What can you do though. It is not a very good case to take him to court. I would probably have to be about half dead before I could do that

When you get your thyroid tested make sure an ask for tsh, freet3, freet4 and antibodies. Most doctors just go by the tsh and it really doesn't tell how the thyroid is doing.

Well I better quit yacking my head off.

If you need more information just go to the thyroid boards if you think you might have a thyroid problem.

Bye Betty

Old 09-28-2004, 08:34 PM   #12
    kierrasmommy
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

kierrasmommy HB User

Thanks Betty, I will come visit over there...I seem to have alot of the symptoms other than the sinus problems...My sister has graves disease too and had her thyroid removed but it grew back so they did the radiation too. She is on Synthroid (?) but still has alot of symtoms...not sure if it's because she just always will or because I think she doesn't take her meds at the same time every day if she even takes them...I see the bottles of pills, but never see her take them. I'm going to check into it more though...thanks again

Old 09-29-2004, 03:29 AM   #13
    nanably

nanably HB User

I have carpal tunnel syndrome and both hands and have had one operated on. My doctor told me a good way to determine if it "might" be carpal tunnel is to ask yourself if your hands are "asleep" when you wake up in the morning. Of course, the only way to know for sure is to see your doctor. Mine ordered nerve conduction tests to make sure that was what I have.

Old 09-29-2004, 04:47 AM   #14
    Lady50
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Kierrasmommy,
    My goodness I didn't know that the thyroid could grow back.Wow, I learn something new everyday. I mean I believe you. Well I am in a hurry gotta get my gal up for school.

Betty

Old 09-29-2004, 08:25 AM   #15
    kierrasmommy
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

kierrasmommy HB User

I'll have to ask her but I think(I was only about 12 when she had this done) when they operated they left 10% of her thyroid hoping it would function enough to not have her on meds....but it grew back full force and her condition was even worse off then before. I thought of something lastnight I was going to ask you, my sister and brother both have really bad sinus's, and DR's have recommended getting nasal surgery to scrape down the bone lining the nose in turn opening up the passages to help lessen the sinus problems....if this is thyroid related would that be worthwhile?

Closed Thread