It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Open to All Other Health Topics Message Board

Bakers Cysts!

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-30-2004, 05:48 AM   #1
tgum

tgum HB User
Bakers Cysts!

I have searched the internet for information and although i have found some useful info,i would like to hear from anyone who knows about these cysts.My 12yr old daughter has these cysts at the back of her knees.When i took her to the doctor he said that this type of cyst was more common in older people and those with arthritis.After he examined her he seemed astounded that i was right.She is due for an ultrasound scan in six days.In the meantime,she went to a sleepover and was 'accidently' KICKED,in the back of her knee,causing one of the cysts to 'pop'internally.She is having more trouble with simple movement tasks than ever,and more pain.Can anyone advise? I would be so grateful!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-01-2004, 05:00 AM   #2
feelbad
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User
Re: Bakers Cysts!

If she has not seen an ortho surgeon,you really need to get her in to see one.I have a rather large,and inoperable bakers cyst behind my R knee that is really driving me insane right now.It is inoperable as I also have RSD in that knee and foot.when you have RSD, any type of surgical procedure can cause a huge increase in pain,so we are having to leave that alone for now as the pain is already pretty much over the top at this point in time.Luckily,for your daughter,hers IS operable,and she CAN get it removed without any major complications.I am kind of suprised that she has had an increase in pain with the cyst that popped as I had heard that if it popped, the pain would actually decrease because of the pressure being lessoned,but it could be aggrevated by a nerve or two.Everyone is different.Just having these drained is not an option either as they tend to fill right back up again in a matter of weeks.she really does need to have an MRI done as the Bcysts are usuallycaused by some sort of tear in the meniscus inside the knee somewhere.An MRI would most likely show if there is some damage,although, my MRI showed a tear,but not in the usual place that you would normally see with a bakers formation.but there is always the possibility that there is a small tear that is just not being picked up on the MRI that would be found when the ortho went in.Surgical resection is the preferred method along with repairing the tear that caused it to form in the first place.If the tear is not repaired upon removal, you will most likely have it happen again.what is your daughter taking for pain?I know that the pain I have is quite severe at times but I don't know just what is from the cyst and what is from the RSD.i think your best bet here is to get an MRI and see a good ortho who can remove them.good luck,and keep me posted ,K?

Old 10-01-2004, 05:30 PM   #3
tgum

tgum HB User

Thank you Feelbad.You are the only reply i have had so far and i am realy grateful.I have to ask you,what is RSD?I haven't got a clue(i,m sorry)!As for this pain that my daughter is getting,it is right down the calf of her leg.I know you said that the pain and ache should have gone when the cyst 'popped',but it seems to have travelled down her leg.I know that the liquid had to go somewhere,and she did have swelling to the front of her knee for a few days,but now the back of her leg seems swollen.Does this liquid get re-absorbed in time?The cyst is already showing signs of coming back already. Any advice would be great.Thanx.

Old 10-03-2004, 07:26 AM   #4
feelbad
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

Hi tgum, RSD is a nasty nasty painful condition that effects a limb or several limbs, that causes very severe nerve pain.I don't think they really know for sure just what triggers this but it has to do with a malfunction of the sympathetic nervous system.My SNS was damaged from a surgery done on my spinal cord to remove what is called a cavernoma.It is basically a glob of blood vessels that formd inside the cord that i was told was most likely congenital.The surgery also caused some rather significant damage to three spinal nerves and two spinal tracts.I have neuro deficits,significant in L hand(notice the lovely typing?)and severe spasticity in my legs,along with vasomotor malfunction(swelling in R leg espescially in the R knee)i also have central pain syndrome(feels like a second degree burn that just never heals?)in my L arm up throught the shoulder blades.Also have radiculopathy/meylopathy in the entire C spine area.Basically, I am a mess.You can pop on down to the RSD board down below if you scroll down to it.

As far as your daughter, i do really believe that your best bet here is to get her into a good orthosurgeon as soon as possible.the only way she is going to be able to get rid of this,hopefully for good, is to have them surgically removed and have the tears repaired that are causing the cysts to form in the knees.Most likely, with regard to the fluid in the lower leg caused by the rupture,that will be absorbed eventually by the body.The fact that she is already forming a new cyst tells me that she must have a pretty significant tear in the knee somewhere.she needs to have an MRI done to pinpoint the tears.Talk to your doc about getting a referral to the orthosurgeon.that would be my next step here.Keep me posted,K?Marcia

Old 10-06-2004, 07:03 AM   #5
tgum

tgum HB User

hi marcia.just thought i'd let you know the latest.My daughter has been for an ultrasound scan today and they tell me that she def. has got bakers cysts.The downside is i have to wait another week for them to send the results to our doctor and then go to see him to find out what is next.At least the hospital has confirmed what is wrong,and i feel as though i am getting somewhere(finally)!I will keep you posted as i find out more.Thanx.

Old 10-06-2004, 10:18 PM   #6
chi33

chi33 HB User

Hi tgum,
I had a Bakers cyst on my wrist a little over a year ago. I don't have arthritis but at the time I was have problems with my joints due to Lyme Disease. The doctor told me that in the old days they used to get rid of them by smashing a Bible straight onto the cyst so that it would pop, and the fluid would eventually dissipate and get absorbed back into the system. Mine doesn't sound like it was as bad as your daughters, it was about the size of 1/2 a golfball, maybe less.

Anyway, mine was treated by inserting a big needle and draining it, and then was followed by prolotherapy injections to strengthen/heal the ligaments/connective tissue in my wrist. It took awhile for the cyst to completely disappear, but I haven't had any problems with it since.

I was told the cysts occur b/c there is irritation at the site due to an imbalance or weakness in the ligaments(or something to that effect) in the affected joint(s). You might want to do a Google search on prolotherapy, I really believe it works for many joint problems. Good Luck w/ everything & hope your daughter starts feeling better.

Old 10-08-2004, 08:49 AM   #7
mismax
Inactive
(female)

mismax HB User

Hi there,

I am a 23 year old female and I have a Baker cyst on the back of my left knee. As the others were saying the cyst is usually formed from some type of tear that occured in the knee. The cyst forms when the tear tries to heal and doesn't heal 100% correctly. Sometimes these will pop on there own. The only thing she has to be concerned about is any pain that may occur when it does pop if at all. There really is no need for concern. My case is unusual though because I did have a MRI done on my knee and they found that I have a degeneratize disease that causes my cartiladge and etc., to wear away quicker. My knee looks like someone who is in their late 50's to early 60's. The best bet is to get an MRI done to verify if there is anything else going on with in the knee to cause this. Unless she is extremely active or athletic she seems a bit young to have this unless she suffered a severe knee injury at some point in her life. If you need more information regarding knee injuries or anything feel free to ask.

Amy

Old 10-16-2004, 11:37 AM   #8
tgum

tgum HB User

hi everyone.Thank you for the replies that i've had.My daughter has been reading them with me and has said to say a big THANK-YOU.She has been to see the doctor and basically all he has said is that she can have an op to remove the cysts and only a few stitches will be needed.She will be on the waiting list for approx a year and a half before she will be seen.I cant afford to go private and he said there is nothing he can do in the meantime. Do any of you know anything else i can do besides making her wear a knee support(doctor said it may help).She now has a cyst at the back of each knee and although she can do certain activities in school,she is missing a lot of netball(her favourite)due to her having to jump a lot and landing hard on her feet.I would hate for her to give it up altogether as she loves it. Any advice,much appreciated.Thank-you

Old 10-17-2004, 05:50 AM   #9
feelbad
Senior Veteran
(female)

i cannot believe that your daughter can even WEAR any kind of a brace on her knees,OWIEE!My doc first suggested that at the Dx but oh boy, when i put it on, i thought I was gonna die!it is really really uncomfortable when I attempt to wear any kind of a brace on my knee.it seems that any kind of compression will almost immediately increase my pain level.but if this works for your daughter than i doubt it is causing any harm.Everyone is different.what works for some,dosen't always work for all.

i don't know just how physical your daughter should be right now until she gets these things removed.It may? cause further damage.i really don't know enough about them yet to give you a proper answer to that question.i think the best things to do here would be to consult her doc as to what he recomends for this and most of all, let pain be her guide.if she is doing something that causes an increase in her pain levels or she starts feeling some new sort of pain,i would have her immediatly stop whatever she was doing.i cannot believe it is going to take that long just to get these removed.Where do you live anyway?If I actually could have mine removed, i could have it done by the end of next week.I feel for your daughter.it is hard to have to sit out on all of the fun,espescially when you are her age.keep me posted.Marcia

Old 11-25-2004, 12:28 PM   #10
tgum

tgum HB User

hi marcia,and everyone else who replied.My computer has had a virus and with xmas coming i have only just been able to get her back online. Anyway,as for my daughter,she has been taking it easy(sports-wise),and both of the cysts have gone down considerably in size.We live in the uk,where waiting lists are as long as your arm,so a year and a half is quite reasonable to wait for the op.She has been to see a chiropodist recently who has confirmed that she has got flat feet.Since she was little the doc has always said that she has'weak arch muscles',that will strengthen in time.They have not ,as yet,and i am wondering if anybody can tell me if this may be the cause of her cysts,as the docs say NO.Her feet roll inwards when she walks, and she wears her shoes out at the front all the time. Any words of advice would be welcomed.Thanx.

Old 12-11-2004, 09:32 AM   #11
Sucie49
(female)

Sucie49 HB User

Did your daughter ever get the surgery done on her knee? How is she doing?

Closed Thread