It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Open to All Other Health Topics Message Board

thrush on tongue

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-17-2004, 03:26 AM   #1
mrchickenhead
Inactive

mrchickenhead HB User
thrush on tongue

Hi,

I have a problem with thrush on my tongue. I had glandular fever back in june (diagnosed with a blood test) and one of the things it effected was my Asthma. I was put in Becotide for the first time, and within a few weeks had developed a sore mouth, particulay my tongue. I went back to my doctor who gave me a spacer to use, and perscibed me nytsan pastilles. I took these, and did not use my inhailer at the same time and after 4 days it cleared it up. I started using the inhailer again with the spacer, and sure enough within a few days the sore tongue was back. I went back to the Dr, changed the inhailer to a powder one, and was given more nytsan. Again i didnt use the inhailer, and took all the nytsan, but this time it hasnt cleared the thrush up. Its just on my tongue. I was washing my mouth out after using the inhailer, and brushing my teath. I just wondered if anyone else has had this trouble, and shouldnt the nystan have cleared it up?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-17-2004, 02:00 PM   #2
quincy
Senior Veteran
(female)

quincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB User
Re: thrush on tongue

Hi,

I get that on occasion from my corticosteroid inhaler.....especially when I've had to increase it.

I do brush my teeth after everytime I use it. I also brush my tongue,cheeks, top of my mouth, use a tongue scraper and always rinse and gargle well.

BUT....there are times the thrush comes (usually at the very back of the soft palate) and Nystatin is what I need.

Maybe the doc can prescribe the liquid instead? Don't stop using your inhaler tho. Use it, brush and then use the Nystatin.

You might consider starting to take acidophilus capsules on a regular basis, and even open one capsule and put it on your tongue.

Try to limit your refined sugar/carb intake. Eat well and hopefully your body will be able to resist it.

Were you on an antibiotic as well?

Try the acidophilus with bifidus. I take them all the time, and the trush from my inhaler is very minimal.

Best to you,
quincy

Old 10-18-2004, 02:14 AM   #3
mrchickenhead
Inactive

mrchickenhead HB User
Re: thrush on tongue

Hi Quincy,

Thanks for the reply. No i wasnt on antibiotics. It was the first time i have ever used a corrticosteroid inhailer. I usualy get by on ventolin ok. I think probably i need to improve my inhailing technique, i was practicing at the weekend and i seem to deliver a lot of the drug on my tongue as i breath in. I shall certainly try the capsules though and see how i go. I think a liquid would be better too.

Thanks for the advice

Andy

Closed Thread