It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Open to All Other Health Topics Message Board

• shoulder/shoulder blade dislocation

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-17-2004, 08:08 PM   #1
    rhssm

rhssm HB User
    Question shoulder/shoulder blade dislocation

I'm not sure if my topic would belong in this board or would be better suited for the back problems board, but I'll just post it here. I think my left shoulder may be dislocated. My shoulder has not always had this problem, but within the last half year or so I've noticed a change.

My left shoulder feels dislocated and looks different than my other shoulder - more slumped and jutting forward. My scapula (or shoulder blade) on this same side seems to be a little out of place. It is lowered and pushed flatter, more into my back. I can tell the difference when I'm looking in the mirror, especially when I hold my shoulders back - the "unaffected" side's scapula appears to be positioned correctly: it protudes a little off of my back when I hold my shoulders back. On the other hand, my left scapula appears to push against my back more and doesn't sit on but sort of pushes into my back.
    If I hold my left shoulder back for too long, the nerves on the left side of my back, within the vicinity of this scapula, began to tingle and occasionally my arm will feel like it's losing it's circulation.

I don't know if any of this makes sense the way I've described, but it feels like the dislocation of my shoulder combined with the shifting of my scapula may be what is pushing my left shoulder forward more.

What should I do about this? Are there any kind of exercises I can do to prevent slumping for the time being? Does this sound like something that I could possibly wait to get checked by a doctor for a few years because I seriously do not have the money or the insurance to cover an appointment right now. I'm only 21 and in college. My mother won't help me out - I know this. Anyone have experience with anything like this? A shoulder dislocation? Is it common for the scapula to shift it's position in some cases? Would some type of back brace used to gently hold shoulders back help? There are some kinds of light cloth braces that can be worn under the clothing - available to be bought at different websites, specifically for posture.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-18-2004, 09:11 PM   #2
    Bncinlove
    (female)

Bncinlove HB User
    Re: shoulder/shoulder blade dislocation

I have dislocated my shoulder many times and you WILL know for sure when you dislocate it. It is such excrutiating pain!!! You won't be able to use your arm when it is dislocated. It is something you won't ever forget. I don't know what it is that you are describing, but from my own experience it doesn't sound anything like dislocation. I hope this helps.

Closed Thread