It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Open to All Other Health Topics Message Board

Please Help, Weird Problems that dont make Sense

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-15-2004, 08:27 AM   #1
Fly_Girl01

Fly_Girl01 HB User
Question Please Help, Weird Problems that dont make Sense

Ok, here goes. For the past month or so I have had a variety of symptoms that dont seem to "go together". In this past month, I have experienced extreme dizziness, a headache every morning when I wake up ( I suffer from migraines) but this headache is different, like the top of my head hurts. Sorry for being graphic, but diarrhea about every morning and extreme fatigue that hits me every day about noon or so. I am on winter break from school, and it is nothing for me to take a 3 hour nap every afternoon and still feel tired. Then Im noticing Im going to bed earlier and earlier every night from pure exhaustion, and I really dont do much during the day.
So, I went to my family doctor who sent me for a series of blood tests. The only thing they found was a "viral infection" which would go away on its own. Well I dont agree, and I am in nursing school and have spoken with some of my instructors who said it could be mono, a thyroid problem, or anemia. But none of those things showed up on the tests according to my doctor. I have a pretty good appetite, but yet I have went down 4 pant sizes in less than two months.
Any ideas on what could be going on? I take care of myself, I take a multivitamin and an iron pill (in case it is anemia) every day.

A little history: I did have mono back in February of this year. Do you think maybe it came back? Also, in June I was involved in a motor vehicle accident which left me with 6 compression fractures of my thoracic vertebrae. The doctor said the fractures would heal on their own in 6 weeks. Well, its been 6 months now and I still have alot of pain, especially with the cold snowy weather weve been having. One other thing, my periods have went from lasting about 5 or 6 days to 11 or 12.

I know this all sounds complicated and I know I should get a second opinion, but it is hard to get an appointment with a new doctor during the holidays.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Amy
DDD T9-T10
Retrolisthesis L5-S1

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-15-2004, 09:43 AM   #2
sewdeb
(female)

sewdeb HB User
Cool Re: Please Help, Weird Problems that dont make Sense

Well, you sound like me several years ago. I now know I have Fibromyalgia. I was exhausted all the time even though I seemed to be getting good sleep. My doctor prescribed Flexeril, (Cyclobenzaprine) for me at night to help me sleep. I take it and can be up several hours, but when I go to sleep (easily) I sleep hard and wake up refreshed. It has made a huge difference in my life! All those with Fibro. can trace it back to a serious medical event, like you. See a Rheumatologist. I also get regular Massage Therapy. I was so impressed with what it did for me, I became a MT 2 1/2 yrs. ago. We store lactic acid in the muscles and it has to get out. Try detoxing, exercise as much as possible (this is not always easy, but is so good for us) or it is likely you will get worse. Find some good vitamins to take and drink tons of water.

Old 12-15-2004, 09:46 AM   #3
kitkat77
Senior Veteran
(female)

kitkat77 HB User
Re: Please Help, Weird Problems that dont make Sense

Sounds like your problems don't make sense because there might be more than one problem! Your headaches and all might be still from the car accident, but the other symptoms sure sounds like a thyroid problem to me. I had the exact same symptoms several years ago and thought I was dying from AIDS or some such rotten disease. It turned out that I have hypothyroidism (even though I had lost a ton of weight) but had to be tested every 3 months for a year until it finally showed up on the blood tests. Thyroid testing by blood is not easily detected which is why it has to be repeated until it is diagnosed or until the symptoms go away. The only foolproof way to detect thyroid disease is with a thyroid scan which is rarely offered due to the cost. Incidentally, my aunt in Greece was given the scan first without any blood testing because they knew that test was unreliable. She tested positive. I also had a dog with symptoms of hypothyroidism who was offered the scan by the vet because his blood tests showed up negative and yes he was positive too!

Old 12-15-2004, 10:52 AM   #4
Fly_Girl01

Fly_Girl01 HB User

Thank you for the replies. I have an appointment on January 3 with another doctor to find out what is going on. Both the fibro and the thyroid make sense. I take Skelaxin at night for sleep, but maybe the Flexeril may be better.
I have good insurance through my husband's work, do you think I should just flat out ask for a thyroid scan instead of getting blood taken all the time? I cant go on feeling like this and Im going broke buying new pants all the time because of the rapid weight loss, lol.
I drink lots of water and juices, which is one good thing. What type of medicines do they put you on for hypothyroidism?
Sorry for rambling, Im just sick of feeling like crap all day every day.
Thanks again,
Amy
DDD T9-T10
Retrolisthesis L5-S1

Old 12-16-2004, 05:29 AM   #5
rangergirl
(female)

rangergirl HB User

I personally think that a "low normal" thyriod for some people is actually seriously low. Was your's in the low or below midrange normal? I think I read that people with hypothyroidism are also prone to fibromyalgia.

Old 12-16-2004, 07:07 AM   #6
sleeperwoken
Senior Veteran
(female)

sleeperwoken HB User

Maybe you should get a lyme disease test just to be sure. I wouldn't rule it out. Take a look at some of the threads under lyme disease and see if any of that stuff sounds like what you are dealing with.

Old 12-17-2004, 09:39 AM   #7
kitkat77
Senior Veteran
(female)

kitkat77 HB User

My thyroid was in the range considered "low but acceptable", for just under 3 years. When my symptoms were at their worst I still measured in the acceptable range for nearly a year before tests proved the diagnosis. My doctor was the one who told me the blood tests were not that effective. My mother (who was the first to display symptoms) waited 5 years before it showed up on blood tests and my sister waited 2 years. My aunt who had the scan up front did not have to wait at all. My dog who had very visible symptoms of hypothyroidism also came out negative and the vet suggested a scan because she believed he might die before it was detected by blood. If you have the chance to ask for the scan, do it! Then you would know for sure if you can rule thyroid disease out.
Hypothyroidism is controlled by taking one pill a day (Synthroid or Eltroxin), adjusted to your body's need of the hormone. If you have hyperthyroidism then the pill would be different.
Thyroid disease has other symptoms besides being extremely tired : feeling either too hot or too cold, dry skin, hair loss, memory loss, rapid or slow heartbeat. Do you have any other symptoms?
Incidentally I have always thought I had fybromyalgia but was diagnosed with fibrositis instead!

Old 12-17-2004, 02:07 PM   #8
Fly_Girl01

Fly_Girl01 HB User

Kit,

First off, wow it must really be a hereditary disease then? As far as I know no one in my family has had problems with theirs, but maybe that doesnt mean anything.
Yes, I have other symptoms that I have blamed on stress of going back to school, etc. Ive noticed palpitations on several occasions, one time they lasted about an hour or so and my professor sent me home. Once again, I blamed it on stress b/c we had a big exam that day and I drank alot of caffeine that morning which I rarely do.
Another thing, Im extremely dizzy. A few days ago I was on my way into the kitchen, and I got suddenly dizzy, kinda lost my vision for a second and smashed my forehead into the wall! I wake up with a headache at the top of my head EVERY morning. I also have suffered from migraines for 12 years, but these headaches are different.
The last term of school, I got out at 1230 pm and it was nothing for me to pass out in a dead sleep on the couch and not wake up until 4 or so.
As far as being too hot/cold, its weird. My hands and feet are constantly cold, but the rest of my usually is hot.
Last thing, is the hair. Im natually a brunette, but have been highlighting my hair for the last 5 or so years. Well about two weeks ago I decided to go to the salon to get my natural color back. Sure enough, Im cleaning my hair out of the shower drain every morning. I thought maybe my hair got a little dry from the process, but my beautician said it was fine and well conditioned.
Now, like I said, I sleep my afternoons away, but at bedtime Im wide awake and it takes me a good 2 hours to fall asleep.
Anyway, my appointment with an Endocrinologist got bumped up to Dec 29. Hes concerned Ive lost 35 pounds in 3 months (approximately). One other thing I forgot to mention, is that my hands are shaky alot and I kind of feel jittery all of the time. And all I drink is water or juices so its not a caffeine thing.

Im sorry this was so long, but you seem to know alot about this crappy disease, hopefully you can make some sense of all of what I wrote. Thanks again for your reply.
Amy
DDD T9-T10
Retrolisthesis L5-S1

Last edited by Fly_Girl01; 12-17-2004 at 02:18 PM.

Old 12-17-2004, 05:56 PM   #9
kitkat77
Senior Veteran
(female)

kitkat77 HB User

Gee while I certainly can't say for sure that you have thyroid problems, you sure sound alot like me! I also have the cold feet and hands, hair loss, weight loss, exhaustion, dizziness, the jitters, heart palpitations and headaches. The headaches disturbed me to the point where I had to have a CT scan to rule out a brain tumor (I was starting to experience facial paralysis near the end as well)! As soon as I found out the results were normal the headaches went away! As it turns out I was diagnosed with generalized anxiety disorder on top of the thyroid problem, surprise surprise! I never realized what anxiety can do to you, especially if you think there's something wrong with your health that isn't being diagnosed. Anxiety has the power to CREATE symptoms that mimic other disorders! My doctor explained it best to me this way: When you are under stress the body needs to find a way to get rid of it. In some people it comes out mentally while in others it makes it's way out physically. Definately continue searching for a diagnosis but don't be surprised if anxiety is all it is. Remember -- the more you worry or even think about your symptoms, the worse they become!

Oh and yes thyroid disease can be hereditary but not always!

Old 12-20-2004, 02:09 AM   #10
drginnypig
(female)

drginnypig HB User

Hypothyroidism has many symptoms. unless your thyroid level is checked, docs miss it.

Up untill last year, I was healthy, happy & full of energy. I had a life!
A life that didnt revolve around constant suffering & continious dr. appts.
I have been a "Doctors ginnypig" for 12 months, this month!
I have seen six doctors,two ent's,and am seeing a dermatoligist.
I have spent thousands of dollars, missed alot of work & have had "NO RELIEF".
I have had numorus blood tests and have been on constant antibioctics of every type.
Last week the one of my doctors decitted to put me on hormone replacment therapy for my low thyroid, in hopes that ALL my symptoms will finally go away.
In a few days I'm having a Colonoscopy done by another dr.
The dermatologist has ordered a "Chest Xray". That one has me confused.
SYMPTOMS began as an outter ear infection. Then an inner ear infection. ear canal swelled shut, clear liquid drains from crease of outter ear. Extremly Itchy & painful.
FOLLOWED by raised hives that Itch at the base of my scalp.
FOLLOWED by red itchy raised welts on my face & neck.
FOLLOWED by red itchy blisters on my chest, then spread to my fingers, palms, elbows, outter pubic area to anus and lower buttox.
SORRY,This is gross!but Im constipated all the time & when i finally go, my poo is not it's usual size or color. It's pale & very skinny. Occational blood after bm.
I'm tired all of the time,have gained weight, have bad headaches, get dizzy easily & have trouble remembering even 'simple things'.
This has gone on for one year! My doctors have told me they "Don't know" whats wrong with me. I am hoping that they're latest guess (Low thyroid) is correct.
I have three children and a full time job and It's all i can do to get through the day
AND... The doctors ask me if one of my symptoms is "Depression". Dah!
IS ANYONE ELSE OUT THERE going through this?
I don't wanna be the doctor's ginny pig anymore.
P.s.
Other symptoms include; Hair loss when shampooing & feeling shaky.

Last edited by drginnypig; 12-20-2004 at 02:21 AM. Reason: adding to text

Old 12-20-2004, 02:14 AM   #11
drginnypig
(female)

drginnypig HB User
Unhappy Re: Please Help, Weird Problems that dont make Sense

P.S. Other symptoms include; feeling shaky & hair falling out when i shampoo.

Old 12-20-2004, 05:58 AM   #12
lilsunshine46
Veteran
(female)

lilsunshine46 HB User

Also make sure they check your thyroid antibodies. My other thyroid levels were all supposedely normal or normal enough but my antibodies have been sky high for years which is an autoimmune disease, Hashimots where{correct me if I'm wrong} your antibidies are attacking your thyroid. I have both Hypo and Hyper sypmtoms and believe me I am miserable. Right now I am waiting for a biopsy of a nodule that is growing in my thyroid, hopefully it is benign, which I believe most are.
Bonnie

Old 12-20-2004, 08:26 AM   #13
lpears123
(female)

lpears123 HB User

What was your hemoglobin at when they did your blood test...It sounds like my symptoms when my hgb was at 4...have them retest it ASAP...they said I was really close to dying ...my vital organs were all failing my doc thought I had lymphoma...thank god they didn't tell my that, I was jaundice... my bilirubin was at 2.37 and the norm is 0 to 1.0. When I finally got in to the doc...she sent me right to the hospital and I stayed almost 5 days and a ton of test later ...found out I had autoimmune hemolytic anemia
I would try to get in to your regular doc and see if they will just do a lab appt? to get a cbc done.
Let us know what happens....Good luck,
Lori

Old 12-20-2004, 09:10 PM   #14
BioAdoptMom3
Senior Veteran
(female)

BioAdoptMom3 HB User

It sounds like you could also be hyperthyroid. I had the dizziness, lots of headaches and not weight loss, but overeating and not gaining (among some other symptoms) and mine tested out as hyper. It also sounds like it could be something to do with your hormones.

Good luck!

Nancy

Old 01-16-2005, 04:02 PM   #15
drginnypig
(female)

drginnypig HB User
Question Re: Please Help, Weird Problems that dont make Sense

Thank's Lori,

I have to have my TSH checked again later this month. I will ask for other testing as well. (Red & white blood cell levels,cbc, ect...)
I've believed all along that this is some form of an "autoImmune disorder".
Just because so much has gone wrong in such a short time & directly after a long dose of antibioctics for somthing that began as a simple cold.
I'll keep you all posted

Closed Thread