It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Open to All Other Health Topics Message Board

• Acid Reflux?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 12-20-2004, 10:25 AM   #1
    sickiemcgee
    (female)

sickiemcgee HB User
    Question Acid Reflux?

Just a few questions for anyone who has acid reflux, what were/are your symptoms? how did you find out you had it? what treatment works for you? did you have any tooth decay/breakage before diagnosis? I think and my doc thinks I have acid reflux but I am really really hesitant to go for the scope (scared) is there any way I can start treatment and see how it goes before having to resort to invasive tests? Thanks for any and all help!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-21-2004, 11:04 AM   #2
    Misty800
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Misty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB User
    Re: Acid Reflux?

Have you tried elevating head of bed about 6". This will help keep acid from coming back up the throat.

Have you tried "Pepcid Complete" overcounter ant-acid med?

Have you eleminated spicy foods?

Have you tried eating a bland diet for a while and see if that helps?

Have you reduced amount of fat in meals?

Have you eliminated soft drinks? These have too much phosphate and can be corrosive.

Have you had blood test to see if you have "Helicobacter-Pylori"? Most ulcers are caused by helicobacter-pylori.

Last edited by Misty800; 12-21-2004 at 11:06 AM.

Old 12-22-2004, 05:57 PM   #3
    ajas
    (female)

ajas HB User

HI
    I found out when I had heartburn all the time,and my throat was kinda burning, then got an ulcer type thing on my tongue, I have had the scope! its really a thin hose up my nose and down, saw all my insides on the Telly!Didnt feel a thing ! So thats easy. go to the alternative meds, or home cures for help.theres a great read in there on acid v's acidity,as for the teeth,Ive taken Valium for years, so the damage was already setting in.But do get onto something soon as reflux can cause quite alot of damage to your stomach lining etc.Not to mention the burning pain !!
    Does this help any ?
    Sue

Old 12-26-2004, 03:09 PM   #4
    jinglebts
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

jinglebts HB Userjinglebts HB User
    Talking Re: Acid Reflux?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by sickiemcgee
    Just a few questions for anyone who has acid reflux, what were/are your symptoms? how did you find out you had it? what treatment works for you? did you have any tooth decay/breakage before diagnosis? I think and my doc thinks I have acid reflux but I am really really hesitant to go for the scope (scared) is there any way I can start treatment and see how it goes before having to resort to invasive tests? Thanks for any and all help!
    ah -- i see you may have read this in "you guys know everything!!" ... never mind -- you can read it again, or not!!

======================================== ===============
    i usually post on the thyroid board, but was just poking around and saw your post ...

i have had acid reflux "disease" in the past (burning in the esophagus) and have had stomach burn for at least a year, to the point where i ended up taking acid reducers, four time a day, finally ...

now here's the thing: in order to digest your food properly, you need more acid, not less, so taking an acid reducer only, in the end, exacerbates the problem ... when you eat, you set up an immediate reaction in which your stomach senses "food!!" and the response is "must - make - more - acid", so you have an increased flow of acid, which causes acid reflux ...

a solution to the problem is either licorice root or DGL (deglycyrrhizinated licorice) tablets ... most importantly, it promotes secretion of the protective mucosal layer and the growth of new mucosal cells ...it also helps inhibit acid secretion, and increases blood flow to gastric mucosa .. which is a technical way of saying that it improves the amount of fluid in the lining of the stomach, which in your and my cases has been damaged ..

i had an ulcer years ago (i was scoped) and was treated with tagamet, which cured my ulcer but left my stomach really sensitive .. i've been taking acid reducers on a permanent basis for about a year now, b/c i of the anti-convulsants that i have to take, until i went to a naturopath (ND) ... she introduced me to DGL tablets (or powder) and i've been able to stop my acid reducers almost completely, from the first day, and also stop my motilium for nausea (reglan would be the closest eqiv. in the states) ...

twenty years ago, when i had the ulcer, i just had stomach pain, on waking and beginning shortly after i ate (half an hour, mebbee?)...

i'v had tooth decay lately b/c of thyroid disease (changes the acidity of one's saliva?? dunno!!) .. but just about everything seems to become more acidic with thyroid dissease (do i recognize your name from that board??)

if you just have heartburn, you might try licorice (sure works for me) ... if your stomach hurts, you should get scoped on the off-chance that you have cancer, or your ulcer, if you have one, may be caused by a bacteria and you can take antibiotics for it ...

in any case, i heartily recommend licorice (which can increase adrenal function, thus increasing your cortisol level and increasing your blood pressure), or deglycyrrhizinated licorice (no increased adrenal function) ...

gastric reflux disease (GERD), which used to be known as gastric reflux, and in "the olden days" was referred to as simply "heartburn" (like, ten years ago, maybe??) has now been completely medicalized so that the manufacturers of acid reducers can market them ... makes me so mad when just a simple remedy will do ...

jb

~~ meep and i discussed this on the thyroid board on response to a post, perhaps last week ... http://www.healthboards.com/boards/showthread.php?t=234720&highlight=dgl

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 12-27-2004, 02:19 PM   #5
    pattyann02
    (female)

pattyann02 HB User

I had acid reflux for 12 years. Had it so bad that they stuck the scope down and found out that I had a very bad Hiatal Hernia. I had surgery done a year ago and hadn't have heartburn since. Does your food come up alot like when you're lying in bed at night? I would stop eating at 7 at night and about 3 in the morning food would come up. I felt like I was gonna choke to death and it was so nasty. And my throat would burn so bad like someone had poured a whole bottle of hot sauce down my throat. Do the scope and see what comes out of it. It could just be bad heartburn. I wish you the best of luck.

Patty

Last edited by pattyann02; 12-27-2004 at 02:21 PM.

Old 12-29-2004, 06:58 PM   #6
    Munozchick
    (female)

Munozchick HB User

kjmnb,mbnmnb

Old 12-31-2004, 01:57 AM   #7
    minmin630
    (female)

minmin630 HB User

sickiemcgee~ I have been diagnosed with severe acid reflux for 4 years. I found out because I had such bad pain in my throat it was like I was on fire. I would eat Ice chips,bread and milk to try to get rid of it but it wouldn't subside. My mom worked for the x-ray department of a local hospital and had her friends do an ultrasound of the gallbladder and nothing showed up so then they did a Upper Endoscopy which is not the scope. The upper Endoscopy is a Barium swallow where you drink the barium and then they take x-rays. I was then determined to have Gerd, they sent me to a gastroenterolgist who gave me Achiphex,prevacid,and prevapack. Well they all didn't work so my dr did do the scope to make sure everything was ok. I was scared as well but I talked to my dr and they sedated me and everything was ok I have no recelection of it. My test turned out ok and showed no damage to the esophagus which was well. I have since been on prevacid 2 30mg pills daily and having been doing fine. If you think you have Gerd/Acid reflux disease then you should have 1 of the test done and get some acid blockers. I would also avoid acidic foods like juice,tomato's and tomato sauces,caffeine and ect... I also learned that keeping your head elevated 4-6 inches help. Well I hope that I was able to answer some questions!

Last edited by minmin630; 01-03-2005 at 12:14 PM.

Old 12-31-2004, 12:48 PM   #8
    jinglebts
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Lightbulb Re: Acid Reflux?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by sickiemcgee
    and while i think of it, you might try taking some maalox-type stuff 20 minutes after you eat ... any sooner/later and it won't work as well ...

minmim reminded me -- i too first had the barium swallow, and that's how i was dx'd with the ulcer ... it was much later that i had the endoscopy (stomach burn? i dunno ) ...

jb

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 12-31-2004, 03:19 PM   #9
    Canyons
    (male)

Canyons HB User

I just wanted to tell you a story about a guy that works for our company. He is suspected to have acid reflux. The only medication that he would take is Tums. One night almost 2 weeks ago, he ate something which I am not sure of but he had a bout of throwing up. I think that he had pain after that and eventually ended up in the hospital. Turns out that his esophogus tore open and spilled the acids and food stuff into his body cavety. He has been in intensive care and sill is as of yesterday. A whole body infection set in and attacked his organs. One day they put him on dialysis. No one knows if he will live or die at this point. So, you need to have that checked!!

Hope this helps and good luck!

Old 01-01-2005, 02:17 PM   #10
    lisa30777
    (female)

lisa30777 HB User

nice scare the ****** outta people why don't ya

Old 01-01-2005, 06:00 PM   #11
    jinglebts
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Talking Re: Acid Reflux?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by lisa30777
    if left untreated, acid reflux is a potentially dangerous syndrome, which carries with it the real danger of one's esophagus being eaten away by stomach acid ...

now, we all know that the usual person does something about this, whether it be acid reducers, licorice, maalox, going to the doctor, having a barium swallow -- or tums ... while this fella's situation may seem extreme (and surely it is), GERD is not something to be toyed with ...

sickiemcgee should know that there is a possibility of this occurring, altho' it's highly unlikely ... so while canyons' story is scary, and very unusual, it can happen ...

jb

Old 01-03-2005, 12:13 PM   #12
    minmin630
    (female)

minmin630 HB User

Quote:

I do find canyons story very rare however it is very important to share these stories with others as it does warn them about what to expect. I have had Gerd/acid reflux disease for 4 years and just last june they thought I had Esophageal Cancer and had to biopsy (luckly I didn't ) so I am sorry if it is scarey but it is important to warn people of the real dangers that are associated with this disease. Sickiemcgee I would have it checked at and if u do need to get the scope I highly suggest being sedated as It works better because u dont remember anything. Well I hope that u are feeling better!

Last edited by minmin630; 01-03-2005 at 12:16 PM.

Old 01-05-2005, 07:56 AM   #13
    lisa30777
    (female)

lisa30777 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by minmin630
    I do find canyons story very rare however it is very important to share these stories with others as it does warn them about what to expect. I have had Gerd/acid reflux disease for 4 years and just last june they thought I had Esophageal Cancer and had to biopsy (luckly I didn't ) so I am sorry if it is scarey but it is important to warn people of the real dangers that are associated with this disease. Sickiemcgee I would have it checked at and if u do need to get the scope I highly suggest being sedated as It works better because u dont remember anything. Well I hope that u are feeling better!

yes i know it does happen and its important to share these things was just having a bad day sorry,i also have gerd/lpr i have had scope (without sedation) not the nicest thing in the world but not that bad either and I AM A BIG BABY when it comes to things like that!

best
    lisa

Old 01-05-2005, 02:58 PM   #14
    minmin630
    (female)

minmin630 HB User

Quote:
    yes i know it does happen and its important to share these things was just having a bad day sorry,i also have gerd/lpr i have had scope (without sedation) not the nicest thing in the world but not that bad either and I AM A BIG BABY when it comes to things like that!

best
    lisa
    Lisa~ you are a much stronger person than me as I needed the sedation. I was trying to be informative and not scarey. I understand where u were coming from so I am glad that u were trying to watch out for him that was nice!

Closed Thread