HealthBoards

HealthBoards (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Open to All Other Health Topics (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/open-all-other-health-topics/)
-   -   polyps, swollen gland, throat problems...very scared (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/open-all-other-health-topics/235151-polyps-swollen-gland-throat-problems-very-scared.html)

juliem 12-21-2004 06:15 PM

polyps, swollen gland, throat problems...very scared

I have had a persistent cough for several months, always feel like there's a lump in throat... left gland in neck is swollen.. I've coughed up what look like polyps... (last spring and now again - several times in last week)..often get a bad taste in back of throat behind tongue (like dirty socks would smell)...have to urinate often at night (also have insomnia).. have trouble swallowing and breathing when laying down.. and I don't know what kind of doctor to go to (urgent care maybe?)... the polyps really have me scared, as it feels like there are more in my throat somewhere.
limited on funds and insurance running out soon. I don't have a primary care doctor, so an ear, nose,throat doctor refuses to see me without a referral and a first appt wouldn't be for a couple months from now (after insurance gone)
should I go to an urgent care center-- will I get what I need there.. or at least a referral or tests done maybe?
don't kno where to turn and I'm really scared
thanxz :confused:

cmmm47 12-21-2004 08:02 PM

Re: polyps, swollen gland, throat problems...very scared

[QUOTE=juliem]I have had a persistent cough for several months, always feel like there's a lump in throat... left gland in neck is swollen.. I've coughed up what look like polyps... (last spring and now again - several times in last week)..often get a bad taste in back of throat behind tongue (like dirty socks would smell)...have to urinate often at night (also have insomnia).. have trouble swallowing and breathing when laying down.. and I don't know what kind of doctor to go to (urgent care maybe?)... the polyps really have me scared, as it feels like there are more in my throat somewhere.
limited on funds and insurance running out soon.

I dont know if your just getting old (urinate often at night is common among us middle aged men and older men), to what these "polyps" are all about. Do you smoke? Do you get any swelling of the ankles and feet, do you suddenly awaken at night with difficulty breathing? When you say have trouble laying down and breathing does it relieve the breathing trouble by sleeping sitting up on 2 or 3 pillows. If you dont smoke now have you ever used tobacco? How long and what type? I would go to some type of doctor whether its urgent care, family doctor or what ever doctor you can get and hurry to get answers before your insurance runs out. Has anyone told you, you need a special doctor for polyps. You would be surprised, with a good examination, can be found out by the regular doctor.

cmmm47 12-21-2004 08:07 PM

Re: polyps, swollen gland, throat problems...very scared

Im sorry I just noted your nick name. If you are a woman maybe you need a urine exam for bacteria and other organisms.