It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Open to All Other Health Topics Message Board

• 800mg Ibuprofen

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-07-2005, 06:32 AM   #1
    JS22

JS22 HB User
    Exclamation 800mg Ibuprofen

I have a bad tooth ache and am currently taking 800mg ibuprofen twice a day every other day and has been working fine, I was wondering if taking high dosages of ibuprofen for a long period of time has any side effects, also is there any other drug that you all could recommend that I can take at high mg dosages and has longer safer pain relief or one that has lesser mg and still works? Currently each 800mg ibuprofen provides about 10 hrs of relieve. BTW for those saying go to the dentist, it might be awhile because they charge a pretty penny so I'm holding off on that for about another month

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-07-2005, 07:50 AM   #2
    singer1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

singer1 HB User
    Re: 800mg Ibuprofen

I personally know people who have been on 800 mg of Ibuprofen and they have had internal bleeding from it. I wouldn't reccommend Ibuprofen at all especially long term use. I would ask a pharmacist would would be a good pain med besides that one that doesn't have as bad of side effects. I have heard that Bextra is much easier on the body and it is also a pain med, but I don't have personal experience with it. Be careful with the Ibuprofen!!!!!!!!!

Old 01-07-2005, 10:50 AM   #3
    Misty800
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Misty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB User

Best thing is to see your dentist and correct the problem. Usually when a tooth hurts for a long period of time means the tooth needs a root canal, which is usually the only way to relieve pain. Pressure from infection in the tooth is causing the pain most likely. Relieving pressure is the only way to stop the tooth from hurting.

If the tooth has decay that needs to be taken care of, please do so in order to relieve the pain. Air hitting the nerve due to a deep decay can be very painful.

Both of the above will eleminate the need for drugs for pain.

Old 01-08-2005, 06:26 AM   #4
    feelbad
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

The best things that I have used for the agony of tooth ache while waiting forever to see my dentist is ambesol applied frequently.But actually the best thing ever is to swish your mouth with lots and lots of listerine when the pain gets too bad to handle.The generic works just as well and is usually a couple bucks cheaper.Listerine contains a bunch of stuff that works really well to reduce pain.The biggest being alcohol.Alcohol is actually an anesthetic.It will numb the areas of tissue in your mouth after you get over that initial agony of the first contact.I do this like sometimes once or twice an hour if something is really going on in there.Otherwise, just a few times a day will usually work pretty well.Trial and error is the best way to find how often you will need to do this.I hope this helps.Marcia

Last edited by feelbad; 01-08-2005 at 06:27 AM. Reason: big spelling issues

Closed Thread