It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Open to All Other Health Topics Message Board

• Excessive gasping and yawning for air

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-08-2005, 11:19 AM   #1
    jobane
    (male)

jobane HB User
    Excessive gasping and yawning for air

Hi. This is the second time in my 28 years of living that this happens. The first time lasted only a couple of days and then went away. This was around 2 years ago. And now I'm almost to a week of excessive yawning and gasping. As if I'm short of breath. Sometimes I think is psychological or a voluntary action. But I'm doing it thoughout my entire day. I've timed it to about once every 2 minutes or so. Most of the times its just an attempt to yawn or gasp. And once I do it, I'll go a few minutes longer without having to gasp again. Does anyone know what may be causing this?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-08-2005, 11:50 AM   #2
    annarayne

annarayne HB User
    Re: Excessive gasping and yawning for air

i have no clue but i had the exact same problem for over a month back around nov/dec. i felt like it was my throat though, the muscles wouldn't do what they were supposed to to let the air in. breathing out i was ok, it was inhaling.. is that the same for you? i still get it now and then but nothing like before so i don't worry about it. have you seen a doctor? the first thing that comes to anyone's mind is anxiety and panick attack although, i don't think that's the case for either of us considering the length in time... i've never heard of a panick attack last a week. or a month in my case... i really felt it was my throat muscles.. although all they ever looked at were my lungs and those were just peachy (of course..).

Old 02-08-2005, 11:58 AM   #3
    jobane
    (male)

jobane HB User

Thanks for responding annarayne. I'm very worried and scared I don't think it's a throat problem. Atleast, it doesn't feel to me like it is. As a matter of fact, it seems like it's just a normal reaction, except I'm doing it so excessively every day. I don't know... I was hoping I didn't have to go see a doctor, since I have no insurance. But I'm beginning to suspect this may need some attention. The funny thing is, everything else feels normal.

Old 02-08-2005, 12:08 PM   #4
    a1nerd

a1nerd HB User

Go see a dr.

Old 02-08-2005, 02:31 PM   #5
    Sunlover
    Senior Veteran

Sunlover HB User

What exactly do you mean by "gasping"? Do you mean sighing or taking deep breaths? If so, that would be called "air hunger" and it's an anxiety or stress response. And the more you do it the more you feel you have to do it. If you actually MEAN gasping, then I have no clue.

Old 02-09-2005, 07:42 AM   #6
    jobane
    (male)

jobane HB User

Hi. I'm following up so that if anyone else ever goes through the same thing, they know what it could mean. I went to the ER yesterday, and had some test done. The doctor told me it's stress-related and everything turned out to be OK. Sunlover, you were right. I used the wrong word to describe sighs and deep breaths. So the problem isn't as serious as I thought. Thanks all for responding.

Old 02-10-2005, 05:46 PM   #7
    lcamp04
    (female)

lcamp04 HB User

Hey Jobane...hope you are feeling better! I have the same exact symptoms that you described, and I too am yawning or sighing every three or four minutes, and this horrible feeling of air hunger seems to last all day. However, I do find relief when I sleep, but I wake back up to it. I'm 23 years old and in good physical health. I did recently move to Florida, so it could very well be stress/anxiety from the move, but this has gone on for over three weeks now. It is affecting the quality of my life, and I'm really scared because I feel like maybe I haven't had enough tests done and there could be something really wrong with me. So, did the doctor at the ER give you any medication or suggestions on how to cope with what you are going through? Please do share, because I have tried everything (herbal tea, xanax, breathing exercises) nothing seems to help. This feeling is horrible and even when I try to immerse myself in other things, the feeling inevitably comes back. It's a viscious cycle. So, please if anyone has experienced this, please reassure me, will this ever stop!!!????

Old 02-10-2005, 05:51 PM   #8
    MellyMel
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

MellyMel HB User

Everyone!!

I would not worry. THis is from anxiety/stress. I had it for for quite some time until my doctor put me on anti/anxiety med's and I have not done that for years now! Wow, does that bring back old bad memories. See if your doctor can give you some med's. Sounds like just anxiety to me. I use to do it ALL THE TIME!!

Melly

Old 02-10-2005, 07:49 PM   #9
    lcamp04
    (female)

lcamp04 HB User

Thanks Melly. It's encouraging to hear that you previously suffered from this and now it's all in the past. I can't even imagine living this way for the rest of my life. It's horrible. But, since you beat this horrible "air hunger" thing, do you have any other words of wisdom? I'm taking Zoloft and Xanax at night....but still have not seen any results. It's hard to describe, but I try so hard not to give in to taking that deep breath, and than my heart starts beating faster and I get even more worried and anxious and than I have to yawn or gasp for air, and the viscious cycle begins all over again. I just want to sleep all day so I don't have to feel this way! Please Help!!!

Old 02-10-2005, 08:10 PM   #10
    Jacklyn

Jacklyn HB User

I have had what you are describing for 2 years! Every so many breaths, I all of a sudden take in a deep breath (like a gasp) It's weird because sometimes I will start to inhale and before I inhale all the way I inhale again! It's like inhaling twice in one breath. It's hard to explain. Sometimes the deep breath is smooth and sometimes it feels like it jerks. It really gets to you after a while. I had my lungs and heart checked and neither one was the problem. The lung doc said that maybe it was my vocal chords not functioning correctly. Someone else suggest a Hiatia Hernia where the lungs would bump into it whenever they expanded. But I am beginning to believe it is stress related. I went through my husband battling cancer for 2 years and then his death.

Old 02-14-2005, 02:56 PM   #11
    CostaRicaLD
    (male)

CostaRicaLD HB User

Sometimes we yawn a lot when we get nervous as a way of calming the body down. Have you been going through any stress?

Old 02-15-2005, 07:52 AM   #12
    jobane
    (male)

jobane HB User

Hello, people. Sorry I haven't responded recently, but I didn't realize so many people would respond to this thread. Anyway, my doctor prescribed me Xanax for a week. but I never got them. It turns out the day after I see the doctor, I got better. I'm not sure if it was all psychological, or if it was because i caught the flu. But I got "distracted" from my breathing disorder, and before I realized it the problem was gone. The doctor thinks it was anxiety. Although, I can't really say there was anything particular causing it in my life. The one thing I confirm is, that the more I yawned and sighed, the more I needed to yawn and sigh. It got very very uncomfortable. And excercising didn't help either.

Old 02-16-2005, 07:54 AM   #13
    lietchi
    Inactive
    (female)

lietchi HB User

It's probably chronic hyperventilation, I've been diagnosed with it. It means that you breathe in the wrong way (usually because of stress) and you're body gets used to it. No medication is needed (unless you have an anxiety disorder), just some breathing exercises (to learn how to breathe correctly again, not too fast or deep) and relaxation exercises. And sometimes it goes away on its own.

Old 02-16-2005, 09:51 AM   #14
    Jacklyn

Jacklyn HB User

So how do you find out what breathing exercises to do?

Old 02-16-2005, 11:17 AM   #15
    MellyMel
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

MellyMel HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by lcamp04
    Thanks Melly. It's encouraging to hear that you previously suffered from this and now it's all in the past. I can't even imagine living this way for the rest of my life. It's horrible. But, since you beat this horrible "air hunger" thing, do you have any other words of wisdom? I'm taking Zoloft and Xanax at night....but still have not seen any results. It's hard to describe, but I try so hard not to give in to taking that deep breath, and than my heart starts beating faster and I get even more worried and anxious and than I have to yawn or gasp for air, and the viscious cycle begins all over again. I just want to sleep all day so I don't have to feel this way! Please Help!!!
    Hello Angel

I am on Propanalol and Effexor and have been doing good. Before these, I was on imipramine & klonopin (which worked great) for years, but I became immune I believe. How long have you been on Zoloft for? If you're not feeling better, it could possibly be that Zoloft is not the right medication for you and maybe your doctor can try another. I tried like maybe 3 before I found what worked for me. I know how you feel. Yesterday, as a matter of fact, I was yawning every 2 minutes I think, but I have had some health problems and was stressing BIG TIME over them and I knew that. I feel much better today!! I hope you get well Angel and best of luck to you. Don't ever give in, it truly gets better, and trust me, when you feel better, you will NOT want to sleep all day !!!!

Melly

Closed Thread