It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Open to All Other Health Topics Message Board

• Question about my mole...please help

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-21-2005, 11:15 PM   #1
    shgrdii
    (male)

shgrdii HB User
    Question about my mole...please help

Hi. I have a mole on the left side of my neck below my ear. It was bigger than usual and started to change in color in the past 6 months or so. Earlier this month I went to a doctor and he did a biopsy on my mole. The report came back and said I had a dysplastic nevi with slight atypia and some inflammatory cells. I am scheduled to get the mole excised on april 15th. The doctor told me this was the best report I could get. My two aunts who have had melanoma said the report was good also, and my two of my mom's friends who are doctors, veteranarians, but still doctors said the reports are good. However, I get paranoid about stuff like this. I really don't understand what exactly my pathology report means. When the doctor read me the pathology report I was too freaked out and paniced to really listen and understand what he was saying. But should I be worried about this mole still?? Even though I am getting it removed in less than a month?? What exactly does slight atypia mean?? Is this close to being melanoma?? Can this mole turn into melanoma in less than a months time?? Will I be ok?? My mole is like brown with a little pink and. It is not raised except a tiny bit in one little area where the skin from the biopsy was taken. It has never itched or bled before. I looked up pics of melanoma and my mole looks nothing like it, but I am still paranoid. Can someone please help me on this??

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-22-2005, 12:24 AM   #2
    quincy
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

quincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB User
    Re: Question about my mole...please help

Hi,

Are you sure your aunts had melanoma and not basal cell or squamous cell carcinoma?

Dysplasia means precancerous. Atypical means there are physical changes..not normal. Inflammation means something's happening..could be infection, could be the start of cells changing.

The whole thing is definitely needing to be excised, along with the skin around it to make sure all is removed.

That will be sent to pathology and checked through all the layers as well as the outer edges to make sure there are no abnormal cells there. If there are...more would have to be removed.

Melanoma is not a "had" from what I understand.....for it can crop up later elsewhere in the body when the mole or skin area is removed. I must totally check that out though, but that's how I understand it. That's one we don't want.

My husband had 5 moles removed on his back which were dysplasia. Just as you describe yours.

He also had a basal cell carcinoma patch removed on his face.

I now have precancer skin on my face and have to Efudex soon....not looking forward to the blistering, oozing, crusting..etc.

I hope you've had your whole body mapped and will be checked regularly for any changes in moles, etc.

Keep us informed as to the results.

Try not to worry too much (at times is impossible, tho), do a lot of reading and get really informed as to what to expect. Information is always good, but can definitely lead our minds to think the worst. Just keep in mind....the worry won't change a thing about the end result. You're doing the right thing by having gone to the doc and getting it checked out.

Best to you,
    quincy

Closed Thread