It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Open to All Other Health Topics Message Board

Sweet smelling urine?

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-02-2005, 02:37 PM   #1
sonicspeed

sonicspeed HB User
Sweet smelling urine?

Hey guys I'm a 22 year old guy. Recently my urine has been smelling sweet and it's worrying me. I know it's a symptom of diabetes mellitus...

BUT, here are a few things I think you should know. I've had the usual smelling urine in the past, but whenever I drink alcohol, the next time I pee, it smells sweet. I think that is kind of normal right? Urine smelling sweet after drinking a couple beers? But the next time I pee (after not drinking), the urine would go back to smelling normal. It's always been like this.

But recently I haven't been drinking and the urine has started to smell sweet again. It doesn't happen every time, but every now and then it has a sugarish smell.

I've read up on the diabetes mellitues thing online and I have the sugar-smelling urine symptom...but not much else. My appetite hasn't changed, no vision changes, no extreme thirst..and all that.

I wonder if drinking alcohol has affected my liver/pancreas/ability to produce sufficient insulin? I just have so many things going through my head...

I'm worried about what I eat now and that maybe any moment something really bad will happen...

I know I should get my blood checked out and I will...but I was just wondering if you guys have any idea of what's going on. And if sometimes urine smelling a little sweet is perfectly normal?

Also one last thing, do you know of any other causes for sweet-smelling urine? Other than diabetes, or alcohol (aka malnutrition, diet of ___, sleep deprivation, etc...)...

Thank you all a lot in advance.

Very concerned

Last edited by sonicspeed; 04-02-2005 at 02:40 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-02-2005, 03:53 PM   #2
washee

washee HB User
Re: Sweet smelling urine?

Go get a blood test and you wont have to wonder. Alcohol is extremely high in sugar content and would contribute to your urine smelling sweet after drinking, but you would more than likely have to have precipitateing factors already. Also symptoms of Diabetes are what can happen, you don't have to have all those to be diabetic.

Old 04-03-2005, 10:13 AM   #3
last1
Inactive
(male)

last1 HB User

Ok, I have a couple of other questions: does the sweet smelling urine occur only after you drink alcohol? Does it occur each and every time you drink alcohol? Beer more than other beverages (scotch, vodka, bourbon, wine)? You haven't mentioned any other issues regarding urine output ie: pain, hesitancy, increased frequency?

Old 04-03-2005, 04:09 PM   #4
sonicspeed

sonicspeed HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by cflas
Ok, I have a couple of other questions: does the sweet smelling urine occur only after you drink alcohol? Does it occur each and every time you drink alcohol? Beer more than other beverages (scotch, vodka, bourbon, wine)? You haven't mentioned any other issues regarding urine output ie: pain, hesitancy, increased frequency?
Like I've said, only after alcohol (and i don't drink hard liquor)..but recently it has happened when I haven't had any beers as well. No pain, hesistancy, or particular increased frequency. Hope this helps.

Old 04-04-2005, 07:37 PM   #5
last1
Inactive
(male)

last1 HB User

Sorry to do this to you...have you been to the doctor yet? You may just need to check in and ask him/her to do a urinalysis and blood work. Whatever it is, unless you get some hard data, we're just guessing. clfas

Closed Thread