It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Open to All Other Health Topics Message Board

Melatonin... dangerous at all??

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-09-2005, 07:11 PM   #1
beachbum505

beachbum505 HB User
Melatonin... dangerous at all??

Hey everyone, so heres my situation... i know it sounds dumb but I'm going to my grandmas house for a week .... but the thing is i cant sleep very well when I'm not at my house so someone said I should try melatonin just so it could help (and its supposebely safe because its a herb)... I want to take it all 5 nights unless i figure out i can fall asleep easily there.. I just wanted to hear someones opinion..... is it dangerous at all? is there any like serious side effects? is it addictive? I'm only 16 so I want to make sure its ok for me... thanks for any advice

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-09-2005, 07:25 PM   #2
veggigoddess
Veteran
(female)

veggigoddess HB User
Re: Melatonin... dangerous at all??

Melatonin is not an herb. Our bodies naturally produce melatonin. Melatonin is not recommended for people under age 30 or so from what I have been told by my doctor though I can find nothing to back this up in searching on-line. I used to take it nightly & I always liked it as it really did help me get to sleep when needed, but since my Dr told me I shouldn't take it at my age I stopped. The only thing I can find on-line about certain peopel who should not take it is pregnant women. Melatonin is supposed to be completely safe and from what I read has virtually no toxic effects on the body. Toxic meaning negative effects.

Last edited by veggigoddess; 04-09-2005 at 07:38 PM.

Old 04-09-2005, 10:38 PM   #3
RubySlippers
(female)

RubySlippers HB User

I sometimes take melatonin. I'm 39 and have been using it occaisionally for about 5 years. It works but I have really strange dreams. I don't think it would be a problem to use it in the way you describe. It's not addictive or anything like that.

You could also try benadryl (the allergy med). It has the same ingredient in it that the over the counter sleep aids have and it's also not addictive. I take it every night as I am allergic to almost everything in the world and have four cats.

Anyway I say it would be okay for you but I'm not a doctor and I don't play one on TV

Angela

Old 04-11-2005, 03:01 AM   #4
Jackie32
(female)

Jackie32 HB User

I take melatonin to sleep better. I am so glad I found it. I actually wake up feeling well rested. There are many different brands and dosages out there. Maybe start with a lower dose to make sure you like it. I know I have seen it in 2mg or 3mg but I don't know if you can find it in 1mg. From the literature I have read the recommend dose is 2mg.

Old 04-14-2005, 01:31 AM   #5
veggigoddess
Veteran
(female)

veggigoddess HB User

Melatonin is supposed to help regulate your sleep cycle and then there's 5HTP which helps promotre your natural seratonin levels which if you're lacking can cause insomnia, depression, anxiety, and tension.

Old 04-17-2005, 12:27 PM   #6
Boofy17
(male)

Boofy17 HB User

I am 21 and I take it every night. My doctor said it was alright, so I take it.

Closed Thread