It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Open to All Other Health Topics Message Board

artificial sweetener addiction?

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-09-2005, 09:44 PM   #1
arian2
(female)

arian2 HB User
artificial sweetener addiction?

Hi...This is my first time here...I hope I can get some help with my problem..

For about 4 years, every few months, I have had both severe vomiting and diarrhea which lasts for 24 hours..It comes on very quickly..I feel good and 15 minutes later I am sick, sick, sick...

I have talked to 2 Doctors and they both said that I just had a virus..But I dont believe that is so..

Two years ago, for the first time, I was admitted to the hospital with atrial fibrillation, which was a new problem for me..It happened again last month for the second time..I have been checked by 3 Doctors and they all say I have NO problem with my heart, "it is fine"..

The last time this happened, I had a very strong feeling that it is because I have used artificial sweeteners in everything that I want sweetened...Also, diet sodas I drink quite often..So I decided to cut out all sweeteners..I did this about a week ago..

Shortly after I stopped the sweeteners, I started having problems in my intestinal tract...First a lot of growling, then I became very sore (it hurt to press the area at all)..

Tonight I decided to have a diet soda and see what would happen..

The discomfort started going away within a few minutes after I drank it..Two hours later, I felt fine, no growling or soreness..

Now I'm thinking that I might have an addiction to sweeteners....?

Has anyone had anything like this happen to them, and if so, what did you do to correct the problem?

Any help you can give me I will appreciate immensely..

Thank you,
Arian

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-11-2005, 09:26 AM   #2
Sonflower1116
(female)

Sonflower1116 HB User
Re: artificial sweetener addiction?

If you're using Aspartame (Equal/Nutrasweet), you need to get it out of your diet, for sure. There's a long list of side effects from consuming Aspartame, including migraines, seizures, abdominal pain, diarrhea, fatigue, irritability, anxiety attacks, memory loss, heart palpitations, rash, dizziness, blurred vision, etc., you get the picture. Do a web search. This could be the culprit to your symptoms.

The safest sweetener to use, especially for diabetics, is SteviaPlus. It is a whole-food (plant) sweetener and will not affect blood-sugar levels. It has a slightly different taste, to some, than the traditional chemical/additive based sweeteners, but is completely safe. Watch for added chemicals in some stevia products.

If going off the artificial sweeteners cold-turkey causes too much discomfort, then I'suggest slowly changing over to the SteviaPlus, using it every other time, until you can wean off the other completely, monitoring any discomforts. BTW, the SteviaPlus has added FOS, which is a healthy fiber.

Last edited by Sonflower1116; 04-11-2005 at 09:42 AM.

Closed Thread