It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Open to All Other Health Topics Message Board

Is eating too many baby carrots bad for you?

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-11-2005, 07:34 AM   #1
senseicheryl
(female)

senseicheryl HB User
Is eating too many baby carrots bad for you?

Good morning. I am new to your website and I just have one question. Is eating too many raw, baby carrots bad for you? When I say "Too many" I basically mean one small, one pound bag a day. Thank you.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-11-2005, 07:39 AM   #2
Pink00

Pink00 HB User
Re: Is eating too many baby carrots bad for you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by senseicheryl
Good morning. I am new to your website and I just have one question. Is eating too many raw, baby carrots bad for you? When I say "Too many" I basically mean one small, one pound bag a day. Thank you.
I know that if you eat huge amounts of carrots quite often, that it can turn your skin a little orange. I don't think it's really bad for you, though. And I'm not sure how much is enough to turn your skin orange. I had a cousin that loved carrots, and his skin turned a little orange. He was a child, and I don't know if this makes a difference or not.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Worry often gives a small thing a big shadow.

Old 04-11-2005, 09:32 AM   #3
Sonflower1116
(female)

Sonflower1116 HB User

Not really. Except for the above mentioned orange skin color, carrots are a healthy food. I used to juice them and drink 8-16oz of carrot juice every day. And, yes, I had orange skin. When I decided to lose some excess weight I decided that the whole carrot, with fiber, was better, not to mention that they're high on the glycemic list and should be limited for weight loss. Why not balance out the carrot snack with some celery, jicama, or bok choy (after a Clorox bath, of course)?

Clorox bath=1tsp plain Clorox mixed into 1 gallon water. Soak veggie for 30 min, then rinse and soak in plain water for 10 min. Removes pesticides and toxins.

So, enjoy your carrots, ignore the funny looks and/or comments from friends wondering what's going on. (No, I don't have jaundice!!! )

Last edited by Sonflower1116; 04-11-2005 at 09:35 AM.

Old 04-14-2005, 07:23 PM   #4
KileyGirl
(female)

KileyGirl HB User

Hi- I'm more worried about the Clorox bath-method than the carrots, goodness! JMO, but if you want to rid produce of parasites and toxins, food grade hydrogen pyroxide (FOOD GRADE ONLY) is safer. Clorox tends to leave a residue.
I think too much of any one item in the diet isn't always your best bet, but there are so many worse food choices. You're probably not doing harm.
However, carrots are pretty high in natural sugars and if you are inactive or have diabetes, it might contain more carbs. than are healthy. Or, if you're undergoing cancer treament and aren't supposed to have anti-oxidants or high doses of vit. A, I'd ask the Dr. before consuming such large amounts.

Again, just my opinion.
Kiley

Old 04-15-2005, 06:51 AM   #5
frustrated35
Inactive
(female)

frustrated35 HB User

My trainer says carrots are loaded with sugar and eat in moderation. If you are working out it could interfere with your progress and if you aren't working out you might gain some weight. The other thing is are you eating your carrots with ranch or anything or just plain?

Old 04-15-2005, 12:16 PM   #6
quincy
Senior Veteran
(female)

quincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB User

Do not use Chlorox....to wash foods There are proper biodegradable safe food washes available.

I would be concerned about the vitamin A overload as well if ingested as such over a long period of time.

A balanced diet regimen would really be best methinks.

quincy

Last edited by quincy; 04-15-2005 at 12:22 PM.

Old 04-15-2005, 01:27 PM   #7
Sonflower1116
(female)

Sonflower1116 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by KileyGirl
Hi- I'm more worried about the Clorox bath-method than the carrots, goodness! JMO, but if you want to rid produce of parasites and toxins, food grade hydrogen pyroxide (FOOD GRADE ONLY) is safer. Clorox tends to leave a residue.
I think too much of any one item in the diet isn't always your best bet, but there are so many worse food choices. You're probably not doing harm.
However, carrots are pretty high in natural sugars and if you are inactive or have diabetes, it might contain more carbs. than are healthy. Or, if you're undergoing cancer treament and aren't supposed to have anti-oxidants or high doses of vit. A, I'd ask the Dr. before consuming such large amounts.

Again, just my opinion.
Kiley
I first read about the Clorox bath in the Fat Flush Plan by Ann Louise Gittleman. I can assure you that it is absolutely safe, I have been using it for a long, long time. It was first introduced in her book,"Beyond Pritikin" in 1988, and is based on a report by Dr. Hazel Parcells, Ph,D., D.C., N.D., Dr. Parcells used it and lived to be 106. The oxygenating value of the Clorox bath actually plumps up shriveled fruit. It has been around for decades and even military families stationed overseas in Southeast Asia, Turkey and China used it through the recommendation of our own State Department. Please note that Clorox is not the same thing as Chlorine, a chemical disinfectant which is added to purify drinking water. The active ingredient in plain Clorox, sodium hypochlorite, breaks down into salt and water. Numerous people on the Fat Flush Plan use the Clorox bath religiously on everything they buy before eating, including myself. You only use 1 teaspoon of plain Clorox per 1 gallon of purified water.

Last edited by Sonflower1116; 04-15-2005 at 01:43 PM.

Old 04-17-2005, 03:48 AM   #8
Kendall9321
Inactive
(female)

Kendall9321 HB User

It's the funniest thing. I had just meant to click on another topic board and by accident I hit this one. That prompted me to scoll down to see what topics were listed and I saw this one.

I can't beleive you eat 1 lb. of carrots a day, ME TOO!!!!! I have them late at night, when I am doing work on the computer and I get the urge to munch. I am staring at my skin right now and so far I haven't turned orange.

I do like to dip my carrots more often than not, but I use Fat Free Ranch or Italian dressing, or mustard, (I know that sounds really weird, but I love mustard and if I am in the mood for it, I use it as dip for my carrots). I even have a mustard barbeque sauce with some kick to it that I sometimes use. Hey, mustard is like zero calories or sugar or anything but mustard.

My skin hasn't turned yellow yet either from the mustard. If the carrots and mustard ever affect the color of my skin, I guess I will glow in the dark.

I do incorporate celery alot too, with the carrots, but no mustard on celery. Hey, I could be munching on potato chips, or cookies, or ice cream, I figure, sugar or not, I can't go wrong with carrots. I have been eating a pound almost every night for quite a while now and I haven't gained a single pound.

I think I am going to continue to eat my carrots and now worry about it.

Kendall :-)

Closed Thread