It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Open to All Other Health Topics Message Board

hands/wrists hurt from too much guitar..

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-21-2005, 01:15 AM   #1
annarayne

annarayne HB User
hands/wrists hurt from too much guitar..

i've been playing guitar almost religiously for the past month or so... i do already have reynolds in my hands along with whatever else.. so i'm wondering if anyone out there knows of things i could do to help lessen the pain or strain i put on my wrists and hands? i know the obvious answer would be "don't play" but i love guitar... basically over time my wrists kind of swell, and my hands tend to hurt. i just would like to know of how i could help lessen that if anybody knows. thanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-21-2005, 02:06 AM   #2
(((ECHO)))
(male)

(((ECHO))) HB User
Re: hands/wrists hurt from too much guitar..

Quote:
Originally Posted by annarayne
i've been playing guitar almost religiously for the past month or so... i do already have reynolds in my hands along with whatever else.. so i'm wondering if anyone out there knows of things i could do to help lessen the pain or strain i put on my wrists and hands? i know the obvious answer would be "don't play" but i love guitar... basically over time my wrists kind of swell, and my hands tend to hurt. i just would like to know of how i could help lessen that if anybody knows. thanks
Hi.
It sounds like you are either using too much pressure to play or you are using heavy strings. Try to not bend the wrist to much to play, especially when playing barre chords.
When playing, try to relax all the muscles of your hand and use only the ones you need to use, that will help too. How long have you been playing guitar? It might be normal at first, but try to take breaks when you practice.

Old 04-21-2005, 04:31 AM   #3
annarayne

annarayne HB User

ya the barre chords are a pain in the butt... i don't think i put too much pressure, though maybe i do, it's posisble. i've been playing since over a month ago, i used to play about 6 months ago as well but i only just bought a new guitar last month. so it has been a while of playing. i don't remember it happening before... but i didn't play nearly as much as i do now. maybe i'm just playing too much?

Old 04-21-2005, 07:33 AM   #4
quincy
Senior Veteran
(female)

quincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB User

Hi,

Do a thorough research on Raynaud's disease/syndrome (ray-no's'). It's definitely going to be frustrating, but I think that you will get some helpful information.

As well, look up Repetative Strain Injury. I'm sure you will find some mild exercises that will help.

Abstinence will be of a benefit...maybe you will definitely have to adjust the time you play/practice.

As well, look into massage for your shoulders/arms. You might consider accupuncture.

Do you smoke? Drink alcohol? You might also consider a change there.

Raynaud's doesn't go away. Just to let you know. It's an autoimmune disorder, stress doesn't help it either.

Keep us posted as to how you're doing.
quincy

Old 04-21-2005, 02:25 PM   #5
annarayne

annarayne HB User

i don't smoke and rarely ever drink.. i have to admit my knowledge on raynaulds is very limited, my doctor briefly explained it to me and tha'ts really all i know. i'll go look it up. btw, the word abstinence in reference to guitar, that makes me shreak

Old 04-21-2005, 02:31 PM   #6
JHMB_Guitargirl
(female)

JHMB_Guitargirl HB User

that used to happen to me but it was mainly because I folded my hands down while sleeping so I had to use wrist thingys so I couldn't bend it like that. I'm not saying its the same problem but you never know.

Old 04-21-2005, 03:04 PM   #7
victorsch
(male)

victorsch HB User

I hope it gets better for you soon. Let me know if the splints help.

Dr. V

Old 04-21-2005, 05:49 PM   #8
annarayne

annarayne HB User

ya i have splints... for when i sleep and during the day if my hands get too sore. they help sometimes, but other times my hands are just beyond help i just try to not use them. since it's summer time, it isn't as bad.. except for when the temp nose dives or the pressure rises/drops quickly. i'm not sure why that affects it but it does..i know playing guitar aggrevates it but i can't go without my guitar.. i'm obssessed

Old 04-23-2005, 01:11 AM   #9
quincy
Senior Veteran
(female)

quincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB User

It's Raynaud's, just to clarify. Yes, I agree you should look it up and learn all about it. Sometimes one little bit of info can make a frustration into a victory.

Here's one you might not have considered. Cutting out certain foods from your diet. Some people find they have food sensitivities as well and have much less pains when foods such as refined sugars and flours are removed from their diets.

I'm not saying that's it...but some do find relief.

Another suggestion would be to see a naturopath. Sometimes vitamins, supplements..etc will help as well.

I'm not an advocate of these, but it's an option for you.

The pressure rising and dropping quickly....YIKES, I can relate as well.

About your guitar playing ...do a search on guitar repetative strain injury. See if anything comes up.

Do both your wrists hurt at the same time? What if you changed the position of your guitar...height, strap, etc. What about if you wore a back support brace, the kind that helps keep the back straight?
What if you started very light weights for the wrists?
Do you so proper stretching before and after you play?

Just more questions...I agree that you should play forever. Just care for the hands that make the music!

quincy

Closed Thread