It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Open to All Other Health Topics Message Board

Weird question regarding goosebumps and hair growth

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-23-2005, 10:17 PM   #1
bsktballin33
(female)

bsktballin33 HB User
Weird question regarding goosebumps and hair growth

Ok so this is kind of a weird question..but my sister and I have been arguing with my mom that when you get goosebumps on your legs your hair grows. Is this true because it seems to be and my mom doesn't think so. If it is...good I'm right and I can finally tell her me and my sis aren't the only ones who think this..and if I'm wrong... oh well.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-24-2005, 01:14 AM   #2
quincy
Senior Veteran
(female)

quincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB User
Re: Weird question regarding goosebumps and hair growth

No, it has no effect on how the hair grows.

Goosebumps are caused by the skin contracting and the bumps are the folicle under the skin kind of pushed up. This causes the hairs to stand on end. It may look like the hair is longer..but it isn't the hair growing.

The hair grows from within the base of the follicle which is self contained and has no effect in causing goosebumps either.

Goosebumps are a physiological response that can result from fear excitement extreme emotions cold anger ...etc (you've heard of fight or flight) which could be compared to birds fluffing out their feathers to look larger (during fighting or courting) or when dogs or cats get defensive the hair on their backs stand straight up

In humans, it's the same response.....but in "naked" form

My perspective on it.

quincy

Old 04-24-2005, 09:41 PM   #3
Soibhan
Senior Veteran
(female)

Soibhan HB User
Re: Weird question regarding goosebumps and hair growth

I know exactly what you're talking about and I've always thought the hair grows when you get goosebumps. It may have a scientific explanation, but I know when I've shaved my legs, get out of the shower and get goosebumps, the hair on my legs has somehow managed to grow! My daughter says the same thing.

Closed Thread