It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Open to All Other Health Topics Message Board

severe sore throat persistant

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-02-2005, 12:32 AM   #1
gnw8400
(female)

gnw8400 HB User
Red face severe sore throat persistant

My husband has a severe sore throat 8 day and getting worse-- lost 8 lbs so far--can't swallow water or food unless on Very powerful pain meds--Dr doesnt know what it is--white spots all over throat--does anyone know what it is or what my help--

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-02-2005, 02:18 AM   #2
zuzu8
Senior Veteran
(female)

zuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB User
Re: severe sore throat persistant

I'm puzzled that the doctor is puzzled!
Did the doctor culture his throat?
The weight loss is a bit alarming. Were any blood tests run?
Sounds like an infection that needs antibiotics! And pronto.

zuzu xx

Old 05-02-2005, 09:26 AM   #3
gnw8400
(female)

gnw8400 HB User

yes he cultured it--but said it was a virus and could not give antibiotics --gave him Vicadin

Old 05-02-2005, 09:37 AM   #4
Mikelsgirl
(female)

Mikelsgirl HB User

Sounds like mono. I had mono back in November as an adult. I couldn't believe it. I thought only teenagers got that. Anyway, for the longest time I thought I had strep throat and then went to the doctor and got a blood test and it tested positive for the mono virus. My symptoms were swollen tonsils with the white stuff on it and it hurt terribly, wieghtloss because I couldn't eat from the pain, and fatigue like you wouldn't believe. I also had some general pain all over. It took me 10 weeks to get over it completely but thank goodness the sore throat only lasted about 20 days.

Old 05-02-2005, 12:23 PM   #5
PAJK10
(female)

PAJK10 HB User

Hi!
I am new to this message board and I'm not quite sure how to use it, but everyone who has written about a tonsillectomy has really helped me. Thanks.
I am 53 year old female who is having a tonsillectomy on 5/11/05. I am truly somewhat scared but I am dealing with it. The general anesthesia is what scares me the most. Just knowing what you guys have been going through post-op has really been helpful. Any words of advice would be greatly appreciated. I can really use a tonsil-buddy!!!!!!
Thanks

Old 05-03-2005, 09:17 AM   #6
PAJK10
(female)

PAJK10 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAJK10
Hi!
I am new to this message board and I'm not quite sure how to use it, but everyone who has written about a tonsillectomy has really helped me. Thanks.
I am 53 year old female who is having a tonsillectomy on 5/11/05. I am truly somewhat scared but I am dealing with it. The general anesthesia is what scares me the most. Just knowing what you guys have been going through post-op has really been helpful. Any words of advice would be greatly appreciated. I can really use a tonsil-buddy!!!!!!
Thanks

Old 05-03-2005, 11:53 AM   #7
Mom22greatkids
Senior Veteran
(female)

Mom22greatkids HB User

PAJK10, I think you are posting on the wrong thread. Try posting on the thread titled Adult tonsillectomy and Adoinectomy Surgery Part 6. There is tons of support there. Good luck. You will do fine! I had a tonsillectomy in March and had a pretty easy recovery. I too was worried about the anesthesia (first time) but everything went great. Ask them for anti-nausea meds with the anesthesia.

Closed Thread