It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Open to All Other Health Topics Message Board

Have a bump on temple, not cancer but now Giant Cell Arteritis?? Only 25! Help!

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-09-2005, 09:27 PM   #1
SummerElysiaRyan

SummerElysiaRyan HB User
Exclamation Have a bump on temple, not cancer but now Giant Cell Arteritis?? Only 25! Help!

Ok, I'm a 25 year old fit female. I noticed I had a bump on temple, and everyone thought it might be cancer so I freaked out. I've had it for over a year (don't know how long cause I've been ignoring it). I went to a dermatologist two weeks ago who felt it and thought it was a tumor, hopefully benign. He said it was spongy and felt attached. I freaked out and thought I was going to die. Then today I went to another dermatologist who felt the lump and said it was 100% a vein artery not a tumor. Which at first I was soooo relieved and thought I was fine. Then he said it was some very long name that I couldn't remember but my mom said it was the same thing as Giant Cell Arteritis?? My grandmother has Giant Cell Arteritis and my mother thought she had it and had her vein cut out and tested and was determined negative for Giant Cell Arteritis (GCA) but has polymyalgia rheumatica (PMR). They said if I don't get it fixed I will lose my eyesight. I am already pretty much blind (contacts prescription 5.0 & 5.5) and I have noticed lately that I can't see very well with my contacts and thought they were just old or something. The dermatologist wants me to go see a surgical eye doctor to see what he thinks we should do and possibly cut the vein out and test it for the disease. He also put me on 40gm of Prednisone Steriods starting tomorrow, which I'm not happy about because I'm getting married this August and I heard I will gain weight like a mad woman! Keep in mind, I HATE DRUGS and I'm totally freaked out by taking this type of steriod. Can anyone please give me their advice on if they really think I have Giant Cell Arteritis? I've read that this only effects people over 50!!! Again, I'm 25 but have it in my family. Please help my in understanding what I might have and what they know about Prednisone. Thank you very much!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-10-2005, 06:43 PM   #2
smithn
Senior Veteran
(female)

smithn HB User
Re: Have a bump on temple, not cancer but now Giant Cell Arteritis?? Only 25! Help!

You may not have arteritis at all. No offense meant but Dermatologists do not specialize in this area. The only way of knowing if you have arteritis for sure, is to have a temperal artery biopsy. I would advise you to see a general surgeon (not another dermatologist or eye surgeon) in his office for another opinion. Get an appt. scheduled soon - especially since your dermatologist is starting you (perhaps unnecessarily) on Prednisone. I don't agree with the Prednisone RX when a certain diagnosis hasn't even been made yet.

Old 05-10-2005, 07:49 PM   #3
SummerElysiaRyan

SummerElysiaRyan HB User
Re: Have a bump on temple, not cancer but now Giant Cell Arteritis?? Only 25! Help!

Smithn, Thank you very much for your reply. That is exactly what I wanted to hear. =) I was supposed to start the prednisone today but I refused to take it. My mom and grandma were very upset but like you, I didn't understand why I would have to take a drug when I haven't had a diagnosis. I have an appointment tomorrow morning with a orthomologist (Sp??) special eye doctor who is going to look at my eyes and make sure that this vein is not effecting my eyesight. Then I have an appointment on the 17th with the surgeon. Thank you so much for your advise as this is exactly how I feel. =)

Old 05-11-2005, 04:54 AM   #4
smithn
Senior Veteran
(female)

smithn HB User

Also, wait until you get the general surgeon's opinion before you take the Optamologist's opinion into consideration as well. The optomologist can look into your eye and see veins and such but he does not specialize in venous problems (which you may or may not even have). You may very well have a benign lipoma (fatty tissue/tumor) that is compressing onto a vein. I wouldn't take the Prednisone without the surgeon's opinion either. Prednisone isn't something you want to mess with if you don't have to - especially 40mg daily. And remember, IF you end up being put on Prednisone for whatever reason, it should only be for a specific length of time after which you must take reduced doses to taper off of it rather than just stop it altogether. It can be dangerous to your health to stop taking it suddenly. Let us know how your appts. go. If it helps any, out 12 out of the 12 temporal artery biopsies I have been involved with done so far in 2005, have shown no arteritis.

Old 05-19-2005, 09:35 AM   #5
SummerElysiaRyan

SummerElysiaRyan HB User

Well I went to the eye doctor who said my eyes and optical nerve looked fine and then said to get a Sed Rate blood test to see how much inflamation I have in my body to see if it was Giant Cell Arteritis. I had that done then went to a Vascular sergion who looked at my bump and said it was just an artery that shouldn't be sticking out but does and to not worry about it. He said unless my Sed rate was high to just watch it and make sure it dosen't grow or hurt. So then I got the test results back and my sed rate should be lower than 24 and if it was higher that means I could have that disease. Well it turns out it was a 4 and the doctor said to go home because I was fine! WOOHOO! I'm glad I went through this so I don't freak out the next time a doctor says the "C" word until I get a second opionion. It's scary how many prognosis doctors give you till it's right. It makes you wonder. Anyway, thanks for your knowledge and help getting me though this.

Old 05-19-2005, 05:28 PM   #6
smithn
Senior Veteran
(female)

smithn HB User

I'm so happy you are fine!

Closed Thread