It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Open to All Other Health Topics Message Board

Body odor problem

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-07-2005, 06:42 AM   #1
coeric
(male)

coeric HB User
Body odor problem

this is a very strange thing that started happening a few years ago in my mid-twenties, and im wondering if anyone else suffers from it, or would happen to know how to deal with it. when i sleep, my body (specifically upper body and scalp) give off a terrible odor that fills my bedroom and apartment. to describe the smell it is sort of like feces, with a little sweet and sourness to it. it is a bad smell. what makes this strange is that im otherwise healthy and very clean in general. since it started i've been showering twice a day. after im awake and showered, im completely odorless.

when i sleep though, the smell gets so bad at times that it even wakes me up. i have to keep my bedroom window open, and air out my apartment every morning. it's affected my life so that i can't have people over when i sleep nor can i sleep at another person's house. i know this can't be normal. it is very frustrating and has left me dumbfounded.

i had read somewhere that such an odor might be related to schizophrenia. but thank goodness, after some research i dont think it's the case (very grateful for this). also, i tried changing my diet a bit. once for a couple of weeks i was a vegetarian. and though i wasnt 100% faithful to it i dont think it help much, so i stopped. i did mention this to a doctor once when i was at a clinic for a separate reason. she mentioned diet, exercise, and some other gibberish i dont recall but basically, she didn't have a clue as to what it could be. im thinking about going in for a second opinion. does anyone know of this problem?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-07-2005, 10:57 AM   #2
Misty800
Senior Veteran
(female)

Misty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB User
Re: Body odor problem

The number of apocrine glands is different in various races. The fewer apocrine glands the less sweating and odor. Black people have a higher number of apocrine glands, Japanese have fewer and so does the Asian.

Remember, glands work at night the same as they do in the daytime.

Diabetes can cause a smell of acetone (nail-varnish remover).
Liver disorders may smell like ammonia.
Yeast infections can smell like beer.
Digestive can smell, but, is due to gas.
Fever makes people sweat more and cause odor.
Night sweats can be due to T.B.
Malaria and cancers such as leukaemia or lymphoma can cause sweats.
Some anti-psychotic medications, morphine, high doses of hormone thyroxin and overdoses of analgesics such as aspirin, acetaminophen (Tylenol, etc) are known to casuse body odor.
Anxiety will cause sweating during arousal even in tiny amounts.
Heredity may be a cause of sweating more than others.

You would be wise to get a second opinion.

Old 06-07-2005, 11:48 AM   #3
smithn
Senior Veteran
(female)

smithn HB User

Diet really does play a big role in body odor. You are what you eat is a term that is definitely true! If you are not eating a well-balanced diet, this can cause different odors. Diets high in meat cause stronger odors than do vegetarians. I'm not sure how exercise plays a role in your problem here but that came from your doctor so it must be a factor? If the odor is coming from within, then the problem (one would think) lies within, you know? I would get a second opinion from another doctor or even go back to your own doctor and tell her you need some work up to rule out health problems.

Old 06-08-2005, 10:34 PM   #4
coeric
(male)

coeric HB User

marie55, i went down your list and do not believe i have any of those issues.

you both mentioned sweat. its a natural assumption that overly sweating is causing the odor. but i dont sweat all that much when i sleep. right after waking, i could feel around and notice it is mostly dry, with a few places being slightly oily, like the face area. this is normal though isnt it?

in any case, they say that vegetarians smell nice. so i might just go on that diet again, i dont know. its just that i dont want to suffer through that if in the end it does no good. you know? my diet right now is pretty well-balanced. i take in as little artificial stuff as possible. very little soda. very little junk food/fast food. i dont even have a taste for sweets so it is like once a year that i eat chocolate or a candy bar.

i was hoping someone here might have the same problem. and maybe we could find a pattern in lifestyles or diet.

Old 06-09-2005, 11:17 PM   #5
BINKY50
(female)

BINKY50 HB User

HI Coeric,

Is it possible that the smell could be your breath? I know that I've stood near people who had breath so bad that it smelled like feces. Do you have allergies, like hay fever? Some people tend to fall asleep with their mouths closed, but, during the night, their noses get stuffed up and they open their mouths to breath. Allergies can cause really bad breath.

Just a thought....

Old 06-10-2005, 12:00 AM   #6
kitkat77
Senior Veteran
(female)

kitkat77 HB User

I have a similar situation - I've noticed a putrid stench coming from my son's scalp, and my own. It does get worse at night. I am obsessed with this smell and can notice it within minutes after washing and drying it. Today when my son got into the car after running outside all day at a track meet, the smell coming from his head made me gag. Other than that, the smell has never been powerful enough to overtake any rooms. I also can't say that anyone else has ever noticed the smell, but me.

I had this problem in the past and used Selsun Blue, and the smell went away. I did the same to my son and it worked for him too. Now for some reason the smell has returned and that shampoo isn't working. I've tried clarifying shampoos, dishwashing liquid, baby shampoo, hand soap, bar soap, several repeated washings and letting the sop sit on my scalp for long periods of time. Nothing has worked.

Before my son got this I thought I had it because I color my hair. He gets it when he sweats alot but I am always freezing - I almost never sweat. Neither of us has bad body odor either- it's only on the scalp. I'm 38 and my son is 10. We do not share linens or brushes. I use mousse, gel and hairspray, he uses nothing. Everyone in the house eats the same foods (except I only use diet sugar), and yet the only ones with this problem is my son and I.

I can't figure it out either. Maybe it's a fungus?

Old 06-10-2005, 12:28 AM   #7
kitkat77
Senior Veteran
(female)

kitkat77 HB User

I just did a quick check on the net and apparently there IS some sort of fungus that makes an awful stench come from the scalp! Sulfur kills it so we need to buy a shampoo or bar that is made up largely of sulfur!!!!

Old 06-10-2005, 03:43 PM   #8
coeric
(male)

coeric HB User

binky, that might be it. but theres no definate way for me to be sure. i dont ever remember waking and my mouth hanging open. i suppose that i breathe through both my mouth and nose while sleeping. but still ill make an effort to clean my mouth thouroughly before sleeping, just to be sure.

kitkat i think we may suffer from the same thing. but lucky for you yours is obviously at a lesser degree. i can only assume that while sleeping my pours are relaxed and open up, and that is where the odor is coming from. at this point im leaning towards the problem being all stress-related. it was indeed a few years ago that i started having a lot of money problems and other difficulties. i barely make ends meet financially at it is. but how can a person be less stressful? if this is the cause of the problem i dont know if it is something i can control.

Old 06-10-2005, 05:40 PM   #9
nicky_L
(female)

nicky_L HB User

Chlorophill which is sold is almost all healthfood stores is well known in helping with elimination of body odor. You might want to try it. Good luck.

Old 06-10-2005, 09:29 PM   #10
coeric
(male)

coeric HB User

i tried that already. it turns your... poop... to a green color and eliminates the odor. pretty amazing stuff actually. but its not exactly what im looking for

Old 06-11-2005, 11:18 AM   #11
kitkat77
Senior Veteran
(female)

kitkat77 HB User

Well I used the Selsun blue yesterday, let it sit on my head for a few minutes before rinsing, and it did make a difference. Not a huge one, but the odor is nowhere near what it was. I checked the bottle and it is only 1% sulfur - the things I had read about using sulfur to get rid of this problem suggested using at least 2% or more. I'm going out today to buy something better.

Coeric there is the possibility that this may be something that started from your scalp and has just moved downwards, say for example due to rinsing a shampoo in the shower and having it running down your back and upper body. I really think you should give a sulfur shampoo a try. It works on SKIN, not the hair.

I just read something on the hair board that set off a lightbulb in my head. Someone else posted about having very flat, sticky hair and how they were using the Garnier Fructis products, and someone else responded that they too experienced the same thing from that line as well. Well I TOO had used garnier fructis before all this happened! I seriously think there is something wrong with that product.....

Old 06-11-2005, 10:50 PM   #12
coeric
(male)

coeric HB User

ok ill get some selsun blue tomorrow. are there any other products with this stuff in it?

Old 06-12-2005, 06:15 PM   #13
kitkat77
Senior Veteran
(female)

kitkat77 HB User

Well I went shopping today and finally got to see what all is out there. I found nothing other than Selsun Blue to have sulfur in it, but there's a few other things that looked promising. Nizoral, T-Gel, Polytar, and Denorex to name a few. They have tar or salycilic acid instead. I really wanted to try Nizoral (it spoke of the fungus right on the box and even mentioned stress as being the cause!) but I have color treated hair so forget it. I took another Selsun Blue instead......

Also, if you decide on one of the other shampoos that should not be used every day (Selsun Blue is the only one mild enough to be used daily by the looks of it) get a bottle of Johnsons baby shampoo for the days in between. It is alkaline based and not acid like all other the shampoos, and seems to strip the smell off too!

You can use shampoos on your body instead of bar soap too.

Old 06-15-2005, 03:13 PM   #14
coeric
(male)

coeric HB User

kitkat, im crossing my fingers but thus far i think the selsun blue is working! ive tried it for 2 days now and the odor when i wake up is almost eliminated - there is still something faint but you did mention it was not a complete cure. i have a few questions for you though. you said that this doesnt last forever... do you think the smell will come back even if i keep using it? how often should i use it? once/twice a day? also, is it ok to use a conditioner after the selsun blue? i had not used anything else because i didnt want a mirage of chemicals on my scalp. will conditioner be ok?

right now im about to go to work. once i step in this apartment from that is when ill really know if its working. im so used to being greeted by a dead corpse smell whenever i return. thank goodness for modern medicine.

Old 06-15-2005, 03:47 PM   #15
kitkat77
Senior Veteran
(female)

kitkat77 HB User

Glad to hear it's working! I notice the scent faintly still as well but it's only been a couple of days so far. When I had this a while back it seemed to go away after about a week of use, but I wasn't as stressed back then. It is connected to sweat and heat somehow - one last rinse with cold water after washing seems to help too.

Selsun blue can be used daily and I see no reason why you can't use conditioner, just try not to get it on your scalp (this is where the problem originates). I don't think it's necessary to wash your hair twice a day but it can't hurt. Maybe use the Johnsons baby shampoo the second time - it is milder and seems to help with the scent as well.

When the Selsun runs out and if you still have the smell, try Nizoral. Have you had a chance to read the info written on the box? I think it smells better than Selsun blue too.

Today I was walking home from school with my son and asked to sniff his head twice. The smell is there (he was all sweaty) but it wasn't near as bad as I expected. I'm going to do a check later to see if I can find any more info on this problem and see if there is anything else we can do.

Closed Thread