It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Open to All Other Health Topics Message Board

pain in stomach just below ribs

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-07-2005, 09:15 PM   #1
cedarbluff
(male)

cedarbluff HB User
pain in stomach just below ribs

it occurs more after i eat my belly in the front right where my ribs start well after i eat it hurts not like stabbing pain more like pulled muscles or ripped muscles. i asked my doctor and he believe it or not was not much help... all he said is it could be spasms. well i would understand if it were every now and then but it happens often, the discomfort is not deep in the belly it is on the surface in the muscle. if i lightly push on it it feels like a sprain or rip i quess thats how i would explain it

Last edited by cedarbluff; 06-07-2005 at 09:17 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-07-2005, 09:21 PM   #2
kehorner
Senior Veteran
(female)

kehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB User
Re: pain in stomach just below ribs

It could be your gallbladder. That is the typical spot for pain from gallbladder problems, as well as pain in the right shoulderblade area. The gallbladder stores bile that is produced in the liver. When you eat, the gallbladder contracts to squeeze the bile into the intestines, where it helps you digest fats. If you have gallstones, this causes pain. Ask your doctor about this. The usual diagnostic test is an ultrasound, which will show if you have gallstones. They may also order bloodwork to check your liver and pancreas function, which can be affected by gallstones. Another test which can be done to test the function of the gallbladder is a hida scan, but this is often not needed if the ultrasound is conclusive.

Try eating a low-fat diet, and see if you notice any improvement in your pain. Generally, fatty meals cause more pain than low-fat meals. And talk to your doctor about this. Gallstones can occasionally become lodged in the ducts, which can lead to life-threatening emergencies, so it is important to find out what is going on. Hope you feel better soon.

Closed Thread