It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Open to All Other Health Topics Message Board

• Whats causing this itch?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-30-2005, 11:02 AM   #1
    mustnotscratch

mustnotscratch HB User
    Whats causing this itch?

For the past few years, I've been getting an intense itching on my body during the winter time. It affects my scalp, chest, and upper back. I can feel slight bumps where it itches, but there isn't any discoloration besides some slight redness when I scratch too much. The itch is almost crippling, and I always have to scratch it. It flares up whenever I start exercising, when I get embarassed (blush), or when I eat spicy foods (almost as soon as the food hits my tongue, I start itching). This itch would always start around November, but it went away around April. But this year, it didn't go away until May, and now all of a sudden its back. I'm really desperate to find out what this is and get rid of it once and for all. I think it sounds like prickly heat, but that doesn't explain why my scalp itches and why I used to get it only during the winter. I don't think its psoriasis either, as I tried some shampoo that targets that and it didn't do any good. Does anyone have an idea on what this might be, or what I can do to stop the itching?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-30-2005, 02:49 PM   #2
    joojoobee1967
    (female)

joojoobee1967 HB Userjoojoobee1967 HB User
    Re: Whats causing this itch?

I don't know if we have the same thing or not. Last December out of nowhere I started itching like crazy. Sometimes there would be little bumps and when I scratch the pattern of where I've scratched becomes red and sometimes raised.

I've been to the dr so many times and they told me it is called Dermatagraphia. My mast cells are over stimulated and the slightest thing makes me itch and then it's just a terrible cycle. I've been living on benadryl and I also take Zantac (1200mg day), this is a histamine 2 blocker. It seems to have helped some but I still have some really bad days. Mine affects me all over from head to foot. I've had people get all concerned and ask what is wrong with me, it's very embarrassing.

You might want to look into it.

Julie

Old 08-30-2005, 07:35 PM   #3
    DX-
    (female)

DX- HB User

mustnot,

All that itching sounds like torture!

You don't mention any visits to your doctor -- you might want to start with a dermatologist and if they are as few and far between in your town as they are in mine, you can't call for an appointment early enough...

While you are waiting for your appointment, use some of the websites mentioned in the sticky of beginner's websites above -- and research itching as a symptom. Begin a cross reference chart that helps you keep track of your research so you can look at some findings further, or cross of those things that don't match your symptoms.

Good luck to you.

Old 09-23-2005, 06:33 AM   #4
    MIKALA38
    (female)

MIKALA38 HB User

did you itching go away {REMOVED}

Last edited by msmod; 09-23-2005 at 06:44 AM. Reason: Please don't provide off board contact information of any kind. Thanks, ms_mod

Old 09-29-2005, 07:16 PM   #5
    bellsudev
    (female)

bellsudev HB User

Just curious, have you thought of allergies? small bumps and red welts and intense itching can be caused by certain foods, molds, dust etc. I would get tested for allergies.

Old 09-29-2005, 07:44 PM   #6
    cooter1204
    (female)

cooter1204 HB User

This may be a shot in the dark. But, I've been going through the exact same thing for 10 months now. I've been to MDs and 2 dermatologists ( and you know the antihistamines, steroids, creams, ointments and numerous appointments). I don't know if you're going through perimenopause or menopause, but I am going through peri and I read somewhere that this intense itching was one of Suzanne Somers' perimenopause symptoms so I got to thinking that maybe that was my problem. My dermatologist kept telling me that it wasn't hormone related or I would just be itching and breaking out that certain time of the month. But when none of the treatments were working for me, I decided to go with the hormone idea. I did the saliva test and found that I was low on progesterone. So, I got some progesterone cream and have been using it for 2 weeks now and everything has cleared up! Don't itch, therefore, don't break out in little itchy bumps. It's really been nice! It might be something to consider. Good luck!

Old 10-29-2005, 09:01 AM   #7
    milli447
    Inactive
    (female)

milli447 HB User

Read up on the Scratch Itch cycle. This works for me.... After you bathe with cooler water and mild soap, put on the best moisturizer you can find. Switch laundry detergents to non allergenic, color and perfume free. When you have itchiness, carry a strong topical anti itch gel and apply thickly to areas, and cover up. Do not scratch what ever you do. It will go away. Kidney disease, lice, and other medical disorders can cause itching, so make sure that you have been checked out.

Old 11-03-2005, 04:53 AM   #8
    kimber lee
    (female)

kimber lee HB User

i would be sitting at my computer and all the sudden i would get this itch that itched so bad i could take a hair brush to it and it would stop for about 15 seconds the come back even worse, on my arm , left arm. no bumps no crawly things and it stayed for about 3 months , drove me nut, but then went away never came back. Only at the computer though. bye

Old 11-03-2005, 08:45 AM   #9
    MandyPandy
    (female)

MandyPandy HB User

sounds like it could be allergies to me. Most people get dryer skin this time of year but it doesn't last this long and is not usually painful. There are many alergens that bother me more this time of year such as mold in the environment. There could be something in the air that you are allergic to that is causing your body to react in this way. Allegies in general are our bodies defense of reacting to somethign that it does not like, in a way it makes our imminue system break down and makes us overly sensitive to other things. Could be that you are having severe allergies and therefore when you eat spicy food etc (which your body normally can handle) it just can't handle it bcs of the sensitivity of your system brought on by the allergies. I would see an allergist and get some testing done and possibly a dermatologist too.

Good luck!
    Amanda

Old 11-05-2005, 06:31 AM   #10
    kristietravis
    Inactive
    (female)

kristietravis HB User

Have you considered eczema?

Old 11-06-2005, 08:29 PM   #11
    lilmissm
    (female)

lilmissm HB User

Itchy skin with a feeling that it cant be scratched is a symptom of pancreas illness. I know because my brother in law was at Mayo in Baltimore for surgery after he turned yellow and was passing out. His Dr. here was treating him for everything from allergies to ect. ect. I did some research on it and told him what I though he should be cked for and was sent to Mayo for surgery as it looked like cancer but it was not. It was diseased. Itching can be deadly symptom....

Closed Thread