It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Open to All Other Health Topics Message Board

• chronic leg pain and no answers

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-30-2006, 09:09 PM   #16
    kpaoliss
    (female)

kpaoliss HB User
    Re: chronic leg pain and no answers

Diane,
    I am not sure if you still read the boards or not but I thought I would give an update just in case I have some potentially good news...I found a great sports medicine doctor (by total accident) and he is doing the compartment pressure tests this week to try to confirm a chronic exertional compartment syndrome. Both him and my physical therapist think this is the problem and if they confirm it then I will be having surgery soon after.

To anyone else who reads this and is frustrated beyond belief because of chronic leg pain and is ready to cut their leg off or give up trying to find out answers.......it has taken me 10 months and 11 doctors later to get to this potential diagnosis and I had received so many wacky ones along the way that I was dubbed "a member of the diagnosis of the month club." My advice is don't give up because there will be that one person who will be able to put the pieces together and figure it out.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-31-2006, 04:28 AM   #17
    drs
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

drs HB Userdrs HB Userdrs HB Userdrs HB User

Good for you to keep searching. Were you told not to run? Better be good and stay off of that leg this time. lol I know it's hard to do when your so active. Find a hobby or stock up on some good books. Glad to hear your case has some answers. Diana

Old 01-31-2006, 05:49 AM   #18
    feelbad
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

just kind of curious here,at anytime,did any of your docs happen to mention RSD or complex regional pain syndrome to you?There are many of the symptoms that i see in what you have described here.just wondering,please let us know just how things go for you.i have never heard of compartment syndrome being chronic like you are having,it is usually something that appears post injury and will show itself within the first few days.it should be interesting to see just what they can come up with.i wish you lots of luck with these new tests.I know how horrible it is to have ongoing"unexplained" pain.yes,it IS all in my head?**

Old 02-09-2006, 03:21 PM   #19
    kpaoliss
    (female)

kpaoliss HB User

Well I went for my compartment syndrome test today. Having a doctor stare at you and pace while you run on a treadmill is definately a little akward. Anyways...the pressure in my anterior compartment was completely normal, but my lateral compartment pressure was 32 (which he said was high) at one minute post exercise but dropped to 10 (normal) at 5 minutes post exercise. My posterior compartment was 8 at 1 minute post exercise but went up to 21 (which he said was high) 5 minutes post exercise. He thinks that the 8 on 1 minute post exercise is an error in the pressure gauge. Basically the results confused him because it wasn't a clear picture, but hey nothing so far has been clear so this wasn't too shocking. His plan is for me to run 3-4 times over the next week and write down answers to questions he gave me regarding the pain and lenght of the pain then go see him again next Thursday. I know this may sound stupid but I am estatic that my homework is to run but this is truely my greatest passion ever. Based on my answers to the questions they are going to decide if the surgery is a go or not. I will keep you updated. Thanks for all the support in this miserable process.

Old 02-10-2006, 02:34 PM   #20
    midniteangel
    Inactive
    (female)

midniteangel HB User

try a vascular doc....

Old 02-11-2006, 05:50 AM   #21
    drs
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Hope everything works out for you!

Old 02-16-2006, 04:42 PM   #22
    kpaoliss
    (female)

kpaoliss HB User

The doctor confirmed the diagnosis of chronic exertional compartment syndrome today and I am scheduled for a four compartment fasciotomy on March 20th. He said not to expect to be running right away but I can deal with that if it means I can start running again by summer with no pain. I am very confident in the doctor first because he was able to diagnose it quickly and seems very genuine being a runner himself. He told me while he had only done the surgery a few other times all of the outcomes have been really good. He discussed the scaring with various techniques but said he likes to make the longer incisions so that he does not risk cutting nerves or arteries. I don't mind the scars but I am curious if other people have had the surgery just how noticable the scars will be and what their recovery was like...I know this differs for everyone but hearing others stories would be good. Thanks for all the moral support during this frustrating diagnosis time.
    ~ that green looking thing will be me soon jumping with joy because I can run pain free (haha).

Old 02-17-2006, 12:07 PM   #23
    drs
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Good for you to finally get a diagnosis. I hope all goes well with what you have yet to go through! Take that arnica montana for good circulation for healing up, it should help. Diana

Closed Thread