It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Open to All Other Health Topics Message Board

• Hepatic adenoma 3cm

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-02-2005, 12:46 PM   #1
    type4him
    (female)

type4him HB User
    Hepatic adenoma 3cm

Hi,
    Ive been told that I have a probable hepatic adenoma of 3cm. After some testing of upper right pain and a bout with peritonitis, doctors have finally come to this conclusion. I just had a CT scan with contrast and am now scheduled for a MRI with contrast. I was wondering if I could get any feedback on if this is something that will need to be surgically removed. I have read a little on this and I am not on birth control(these adenoma are cause of birth control) and have found on internet cases where sometimes they remove them. Also I still have upper right pain, do you think it is caused by the hepatic adenoma? Will it cause this pain Im having?
    Thanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-02-2005, 05:20 PM   #2
    smithn
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

smithn HB User
    Re: Hepatic adenoma 3cm

Hepatic adenomas are rare, benign tumors of the liver. They cause right upper quadrant abdominal pain which is sometimes mistaken for Gallbladder problems. I think that your surgeon will want to remove it. Although the chance of it turning malignant is very rare, they usually resect them when their size reaches 5cm due to the chance that they may rupture and you could hemorrhage.

Old 09-04-2005, 07:54 AM   #3
    type4him
    (female)

type4him HB User
    Question Re: Hepatic adenoma 3cm

thanks for the info smithn. I am confused because one doctor tells me that it is a common thing with nothing to worry because this is a "small" one, another doctor says this is rare and this 3cm is a medium sized one with some worry because of the previous unexplained peritonitis. I am so frustrated with the one doctor who is telling me that my pain is just gass. I am having a second oppion who has scheduled me for MRI with contrast because of the CT scan showing the adenoma. Three weeks ago I was in ER with URQ pain again so the dr took my gallbladder out because of "several stones, sludge and debris" well the pathology report on gallbladder said "please note there are no calculi located in gallbladder or in the container even after filtration of bile" the dr who took the gallbladder is the same one who says not to worry about the adenoma and Im stilling having pain!!!!!!HELP!!!!

Last edited by type4him; 09-04-2005 at 07:55 AM.

Old 09-04-2005, 11:18 AM   #4
    smithn
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

smithn HB User
    Re: Hepatic adenoma 3cm

I agree with doctor #2. You are smart in having the MRI done! Stick with doctor #2.

Closed Thread