It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Open to All Other Health Topics Message Board

• Edema - face and hands

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-05-2005, 12:40 PM   #1
    fauxrich
    (female)

fauxrich HB User
    Edema - face and hands

I'm posting this because I am desperate. I'm 42 years old and I'm experiencing edema in my face, hands, arms, and most recently, my feet. This is daily since May of this year. I am never not swollen (though I take 80mg of Lasix every day); sometimes I'm swollen to a lesser extent than others, but it is never gone to the point of being unnoticeable. I have been to 2 General Practitioners, an Endocrinologist, an Allergist/Immunologist, a Gynecologist, an ENT, and I have an appt with an Oncologist this week. My blood work is normal except for anemia (which I have always had), I have no allergies, my thyroid is normal (last July I was diagnosed with Graves - my levels are normal now - without medication), my chest x-rays were clear, my CT scan only showed several enlarged lymph nodes in my neck that my MRI showed had shrunk. Other symptoms include: hoarseness, the appearance of what my Dr. said was Rosacea on my face, numbness in my fingers - particularly the thumb, and first two fingers on each hand (right one worse), difficulty sleeping because my arms go SO numb (feel like a rotisserie all night!), fatigue, fatigue, fatigue, pain (I think from the "tightness" created by the edema) in my hands and arms, and most recently, disabling lower back pain. I am an ER nurse, so I know that my back pain could be from lifting and pulling on patients; I know that the pain in my hands and arms could be from that, also. However, I am at my wits end with regards to the edema. Nothing I do makes it worse or better. The only disease I can find that lists face and hand swelling as a symptom is hypothyroidism - the hoarseness and the fatigue go along with that - but my thyroid keeps testing normal. I have been tested for rheumatoid arthritis and Lupus - negative, thank goodness! I'm researching Adrenal fatigue at the moment - but can't find edema as a symptom. Anyone with an idea - please chime in!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-05-2005, 02:57 PM   #2
    Misty800
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Misty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB User
    Re: Edema - face and hands

Are you taking any medications that cause edema, such as, predisone or other? Have you changed birth control meds, if on?

Are you on a very, very low sodium diet? No canned foods, no salt added to cooking or at the table, no suasage, bacon, etc? How often do you eat in resturants? Resturant food is always high in sodium.

Are you low in potassium? Need a balance of potassium and sodium.

Are you taking Lasix for a particular reason or just for fluid retention due to the unknown?

Do you drink soft drinks? they are high in sodium.

If you eat hospital food, even the low sodium kind you will be getting an overload of sodium. Been there done that with hospital low sodium food, what a joke!

Keep track of mg of sodium in all foods/drinks you consume and try to keep them no higher than 1000 mg per day and see if it helps.

Do you exercise? If not, give it a whirl and see if that helps.

Last but not least. Are you overweight? If so I will tell you what an internist told me many years ago. Fat is a sponge for water. How nice of him, eh!

Old 09-05-2005, 09:17 PM   #3
    fauxrich
    (female)

fauxrich HB User
    Re: Edema - face and hands

Well - the only med is Lasix (and that's for the edema) though I look like I'm taking Prednisone! Not on any birth control - that ship has sailed, thank goodness! My potassium is always fine in my blood work. Just to be safe, I try to include bananas and orange juice as often as possible in my diet. I don't restrict my salt - but I don't eat much of it either. Never add it to my food, and eat very little pork, if any. I did try eating fresh food only for several weeks - no change - except in my grocery bill! I don't exercise - I know I should, I'm now 25 pounds overweight! - but the thought of it simply wears me out. I bought a pedometer to wear at work and during my 3 12-hour shifts per week I walk an average of 4 miles, so that's something, at least. Problem is, my days off are spent sleeping!

Closed Thread