It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Open to All Other Health Topics Message Board

• Terrible Tonsil Stones Tonsilloliths

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-25-2005, 01:25 AM   #1
    Heer Eickhorn
    (male)

Heer Eickhorn HB User
    Talking Terrible Tonsil Stones Tonsilloliths

As most of you have realized, tonsilloliths are not very well understood. Theories abound. Most doctors know nothing of their secret lives. The afflicted don’t understand the biology and are left to confront the tonsilloliths with their own devices. Their desperate attempts at eradication of the tonsilloliths are largely futile. My struggle started with a simple and innocent kiss. This is my story.

About 10 years ago, I dated a woman thrice. Her hot breath was fetid when we kissed, smelling much like the breath of a Basset Hound that had just eaten and vomited a dish of spoiled Romano cheese. This malodor quickly dissuaded me from further contact with her. About a month after we stopped dating, the march of the tonsillolith army started. She had infected me! I would sneeze, and see the tonsilloliths fly out of my mouth. At first, I thought they were bits of baked potato, from a prior meal, lodged in my throat. That made sense. But the horrific stench made me think otherwise. No potato I ever ate smelled like that! Not knowing their official designation, I named these aerial abominations “stink critters.” This sneezing/ejection problem continued for years. As time passed, there were more and more critters. They grew in size, number and stench. Now, they also started to appear when I coughed. Were they taking over my body? I was at a loss as to where they were coming from. Then one day, I felt a vague feeling of something squirming in my throat. I looked in with a flashlight and mirror. I could see a whitish object in the back of my throat. I thought, my God, what is this? My brain spun with possibilities – cancer, infection, pox, parasite, creature? So, I got a cue tip, and carefully poked at it, much like one pokes a still strange animal to see if it is alive. With the prodding, the critter recoiled and immediately scuttled back into hiding with a tiny hideous screech, or so I thought. I sniffed the end of the cue tip and nearly passed out. I was stupefied. I felt panic. I felt terror. I felt sick. What the hell was this monstrous thing in my throat that gave off stench worse than a steroid fortified skunk? This thing, that seemed to move as if alive and made frightening sounds? Thus, the strange and bizarre game of oral hide and seek began and continued for months. I knew it was always there, as I could feel it squirm and smell its stench. Shy and evasive, the stink critter always scurried back into hiding at the slightest prod. Then one day, I had an epiphany. What if my prodding was indirect? What if I prodded around it? Would that trick the critter out of its hiding place, like a wily rodent being probed out of its burrow? Outsmart it, I thought. So, I prodded around its home, poking in all kinds of uncomfortable places that made me gag. It was awful and I almost gave up. Then, almost by magic, the elusive critter popped out of its hidden nest. I was stunned. There it was. I had flushed it out into the open. As President Bush would say, I had “smoked it out of its hole.” Quickly, while it was vulnerable, I deftly extracted it and set about studying it. Like a tiny piece of putrefying cauliflower, its stench was unrivaled by anything I had previously smelled. It was slimy and slippery. As I studied it, it seemed to wiggle ever so slightly, the way a dying worm weakly wiggles in the gutter after a rain storm. Even worse, I thought I heard a faint angry squeak. I was absolutely horrified, Terrified, MORTIFIED! I felt like the vile recombinant of a deranged scientist: freak, space alien, leper - all three now me! My heart raced. My head pounded. What the hell was this critter I had captured from my oral cavity? Were there more? Were they breeding? Where exactly were they nesting? How do I get rid of them? All I had were questions, and no answers. So, I spent days on the internet and in the library researching the condition. My edification led me to the tonsil crypts as their possible breeding ground. I had never heard of such a thing before, but set out on an oral reconnaissance mission. I poked and prodded. I peeled back skin flaps. I dug under membranes. I drummed the uvula. I palpitated the palate. The mouth is an exotic place, lush, humid, full of microbial wet mysteries much like a tropical rain forest. I explored my mouth as thoroughly as Captain Cook explored Tahiti. I hunted the stink critters like the army hunts Osama Bin Laden in the caves of Afghanistan. Then, after weeks of looking, I found their nesting sites! There they were in their homes – the deep crypts of the tonsils. Then, without delay and with much malice, I began the tonsillolith slaughter! The Rout! The HOLOCAUST! After I discovered their secret crypts, I expunged scores of them from my mouth. But after a few days, the replacements came. This frustrating cycle went on for years. I finally concluded that the mother must still be hidden somewhere in the deepest, darkest, most secret crypt. There she had to be, giving spawn to great batches of filthy, slimy, horrible stink critters faster than I could remove them. Thus, my mission directive changed. I now set out to destroy the mother. I probed and explored every cave and crypt I could find. I imagined I was a Navy Seal, diving through seas of saliva, mucus, drip and slime on a mission to root out the tonsillolith mother that had been terrorizing my mouth for years. Months passed and no luck. I began to grow tired and disillusioned. I couldn’t find the mother, and she mocked me by spawning at an even faster rate, turning out stinkier and stinkier hordes that quickly set up home in my mouth and had to be dug out. It was just like that TV commercial, digger the toe fungus, having a party under your toenail! Except these critters were much more sinister, burrowing into my throat and exhausting their toxic fumes during their nasty 24/7 party. With that mental image, I steeled my resolve, and continued my hunt. Then, one weary day, I spied her! It was mother, hidden in a previously unknown, unexplored crypt. There she was, MOTHER, the evil crypt keeper, peering out at me, taunting me, angry with me for destroying so many of her babies! She had found the most inaccessible crypt in my tonsil and built her rotten nest. For years, she had silently squatted in her deep, dark secret crypt, birthing swarms of terrible slimy stinking malevolent progeny to propagate her kind and infect humanity. How could I extract her, I thought? She was the root, the mother, the breeder of all my oral misery. I will get her. I must get her! But it will be difficult. So, I sterilized a pair of craftsman needle nose pliers and prepared for the mother of all battles with the tonsillolith mother! But, she had gone into hiding again. Months passed without any sightings of her. Oh, she was crafty! Then, one day, after a great deal of probing and prodding, she peered out at me once again with a look of smug contempt, knowing that the majority of her bulk was safely hidden inside her protective crypt. Above everything else, her attitude is what I hated the most about her. Her glower, her loathing, her hatred, was all more than I could stand. But, the moment I had been waiting for had finally arrived! Years of training and practice now paid off. Now, it was time for shock and awe! Reflexively, I sprang into action. I grabbed the edge of her with the needle nose pliers before she could dive back into the unreachable recesses of her crypt. What happened next is hard to describe, and even harder to relive, but I will do my best. Like a fishing rod with a trophy Marlin hooked, the long pliers dipped and jerked in my hands. I almost lost my grip as it felt like my wrist would break! It was a fearsome and difficult struggle, like trying to grasp a rabid skunk with small tweezers. A horrible, distorted, high pitched growling pierced my left ear, much like the hair raising primal wail a Bengal tiger makes when rousted out of its den. This epic battle continued for what seemed like hours and was almost lost several times. Then finally, the terrific tussle ceased and out she came. I quickly heaved her into the sink, and watched her pulse with rage and resentment. Like a chameleon, her bioluminescent coloring morphed from ghastly shades of ghostly green to sickening yellows. Like an old fashioned, fresh drilled, Texas spindle top oil well, she gushed fountains of slime. She was huge – a tonsillolith monolith. Plump and rotund, she obviously was pregnant with hundreds of babies. The room filled up with the most terrible stench. Putrid fumes rose off of her like steam from an iron, consequently setting off the smoke alarm in my house. Transfixed, there I stood, face to face with the nefarious, furious mother. Concerned with the commotion, neighbors pounded on my doors and windows. This quickly snapped me out of my trance. I composed myself then calmly, and without emotion, turned on the water to the sink. At last, I thought, I had the upper hand, as the vanquished mother tonsillolith began her journey down into the sewer, riding an irreversible tsunami of water. It was over. Mother and all her ilk expunged from my mouth forever. At last I could relax. I felt a wave of calm wash over me like a warm gentle Caribbean ocean wave. For the first time in years, I was at peace. I savored the wonderful euphoric feeling. But the feeling was fleeting, because, then, in the back of my throat, I felt a squirm. I quickly looked into my mouth with a flashlight and my knees buckled at what I saw, for it was only there for an instant, then gone. It was several pregnant daughters, along with their incestuous father, jeering me, Mocking Me, TORMENTING ME, then, quickly vanishing back into their secret crypts.

Last edited by Heer Eickhorn; 09-25-2005 at 02:26 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-26-2005, 07:51 PM   #2
    AMarklar
    (male)

AMarklar HB User
    Re: Terrible Tonsil Stones Tonsilloliths

I just wanted to say that I very much enjoyed your story. I know where you're coming from though I'm not quite at your level of passion on the subject.

Old 09-26-2005, 08:54 PM   #3
    drs
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

drs HB Userdrs HB Userdrs HB Userdrs HB User

Well, that was quite the entertaining story there, you should write a book!

I had to look up what you were talking about and they recommended a gargle with salt water. I just bet the special gargle I make to get rid of thrush (yeast infection from anti-biotics) would help in your case. It a stong antimicrobial type of wash and gets rid of bacteria growths. Are you interested? It sounds like you've had your fill of these buggers!

Here's how to make it. You'll need a bottle of tea tree oil, you can get it at a discount store in the vitamin section, ask at the pharmacy counter, it's about 5bucks a bottle, you'll need a dropper too, it doesn't come with one.

You take a 1/4 cup of warm water and put in 5 drops of tea tree oil, stir well, (it's oil and water and they don't mix up too well) you'll gargle with this for as long as possible (try to do it for 2min. at least), Do Not swallow it! Gargle as far back in your mouth as you can with out swallowing. Also after gargling don't rinse for a while, if you end up with extra saliva, spit it out, don't rinse or swallow. After about 10min. you can rinse you mouth. For you I'ld do this three times a day. It took a while for your mouth to get this way, so give it time to get it cleared up. I'll subscribe to this thread in case you have any questions. Diana

Old 09-27-2005, 09:13 AM   #4
    quincy
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

quincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB User

ditto on the entertainment.

You didn't get them from kissing.

quincy

Old 09-27-2005, 01:01 PM   #5
    Garrett8899
    (male)

Garrett8899 HB User

Great descriptions! I feel your pain, I had my tonsils removed. The stones are gone, but the smell of them isn't. Which means their birthplace is somewhere else, the tonsil is just where they end up. I truly think its the sinuses and and determined to disenfect the area where it begins. Any ideas?

Old 09-27-2005, 11:50 PM   #6
    Charlatan
    (female)

Charlatan HB User

Haha! Enjoyed your post, Heer. I had my tonsils removed 6 months ago and am still getting the stones.. somewhere. I haven't been able to locate them and haven't had them come up into my mouth, but somewhere back there, I've had 3 lurking, in the past few months, cos I recognise their stench. It's a mystery to me.

Old 09-28-2005, 08:54 AM   #7
    drs
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

I've been looking into different options to try for this problem. The best thing that I've come across is getting the waterpic that has the tounge cleaner attachment on it, this way you don't have to have the water pressure up so high to blast the 'stuff' out of there. I'd still use the tea tree mouth wash treaments too. This stuff works great on bacteria growth, and doen't hurt the friendly bacteria's our body needs. I'll keep reading and see if there is anything else that is helpful to try. Diana

Old 09-28-2005, 09:08 AM   #8
    morrisun
    Veteran
    (female)

morrisun HB User

That was hilarious! Great post!!
    PCOS

Old 09-29-2005, 06:41 AM   #9
    drs
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Now I'm finding out that the water pic isn't working as good for some. But this was working good, a manual oral irrigator (a syringe with a plastic tip) from the dentist....soooo much cheaper too, and this is working good. I'd make a tea tree oil solution I mentioned, 1/4 cup of water to 5 drops of the oil, and irrigate, but don't swallow. It's possible that these stones have both a bacteria and a yeast compound, so the tea tree would make sense for both of these problems. If anyone uses this method please write your results here after a week of trying it. Thanks. Diana

Old 09-29-2005, 11:22 AM   #10
    Garrett8899
    (male)

Garrett8899 HB User

what do you think about irrigating with tea tree oil, dash of Hydro Peroxide in and out of the nostrils too. Since its most likely PND related and draining from the sinuses.

Alot of people on the Bad Breath thread are having CT scans of their sinuses and getting surgery to correct it. One persons dr. did the surgery and found an infection where the stench was stemming from.

Old 09-30-2005, 04:36 AM   #11
    drs
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Tea tree oil isn't for the inside of the body, it can be breathed in by steaming it or put around the edge of the nostrils. I have heard of diluting pure aloe and while tilting the head back and laying down, drip enough of the slightly diluted aloe into the nose, and sleeping all night like that, don't drain or blow the nose, it's suppose to help with sinus infection or any problem with that area. Maybe this would work for cleaning out the sinus cavity.

Old 10-03-2005, 01:51 AM   #12
    srchin4answrs
    (female)

srchin4answrs HB User

I had them for years! When I eliminated white bread, pasta and other bad carbs from my diet, the tonsil stones disappeared! (after about 3 months of eating differently). The tonsil stones haven't been back for years except on an occasional episode of having some type of ENT infection. I have been surprisingly healthy since I changed how I eat. Haven't been sick in about 3 years. When I do start to get a cold, I take zinc and vitamin C. I wonder if the tonsil stones are the body's way of attacking what it perceives as foreign for people who may have a sensitivity to wheat? I am allergic to everything- molds, grasses, trees, animals, and I have Oral Allergy Syndrome (allergic to skins of apples, pears, strawberries, etc. which is a result of a cross allergy to birch trees). I also have ADHD and wonder if all of this is related. What kind of doctor might be able to piece together diet, allergies and adhd? Thanks!

Old 10-03-2005, 04:58 AM   #13
    drs
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Sounds kinda of like a yeast free type of diet also. Hmmmm

Old 10-03-2005, 01:32 PM   #14
    ShariP
    (female)

ShariP HB User

You are so funny! Great story, it could almost be my own!

I too suffer from Tonsilloliths and it sucks big time. Hopefully someone will come up with a cure!

Closed Thread