It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Open to All Other Health Topics Message Board

• Sore in throat...so scared...please help!!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-08-2005, 01:56 AM   #1
    *Versailles*
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

*Versailles* HB User
    Exclamation Sore in throat...so scared...please help!!

Okay, here's the story. I started having symptoms of a cold about two weeks ago. On Tuesday, I was diagnosed with a Sinus infection and a possible viral infection. I was having the usual sinus symptoms (stuffy nose, watery eyes, congestion, pain in forehead, cheeks, etc.), but I also had this strange cold sore in the left side of my throat. It is right on the skin that is in front of my tonsil. The doctor said to not worry about it and just drink lots of water and have some cough drops.

So I waited it out about 48 hours, and the sinus stuff was getting better, but the sore had swelled up and is much larger, now about the size of a kidney bean. It is excrutiating so I went back to the doctor today. They did a strep test and it came back negative. So she just told me it must be a post-sinus infection sore. She then gave me some lidocaine to gargle to help ease the pain until it heals. She also gave me this other medicine that is made to get rid of ulcers in hopes it will help it heal.

Since I went to the doctor today, the sore has gotten bigger and the area around it just looks wierd. It's a really dark red color. I don't have herpes and have no chance of having herpes, so I'm really at a loss about what to do about this...but it is scaring the crap out of me....please help!!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-08-2005, 02:50 PM   #2
    WhiteLight
    Inactive
    (female)

WhiteLight HB User
    Re: Sore in throat...so scared...please help!!

Is the cold sore white? Do you have any white mucus on or around your tonsils?

Old 10-08-2005, 04:35 PM   #3
    *Versailles*
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

*Versailles* HB User

yes the sore is white and I do have some mucous around my tonsils. I also have been working with horses lately...I do not know whether or not they have any transmittable diseases or not....but I have noticed some sick ones on the farm...

Old 10-09-2005, 02:27 PM   #4
    WhiteLight
    Inactive
    (female)

WhiteLight HB User

Hi Dark,

The white sore sounds like a mouth ulcer. These are very painful and usually take a few days to clear up but some stubborn ones take a few weeks. If the mucous around your tonsils is white then this is a indication of possible tonsilitis. This will clear up with a course of antibiotics. I would go back to your doctor and get some antibiotics. Also go to your local pharmacist & buy some over the counter, mouth ulcer treatment. This should make you feel more comfortable.

As for the horses, I really don't know if you've picked something up off them & this has gave you the throat symptoms you're experiencing. Try not to worry as it's most likely a mouth ulcer & possible tonsilitis. Take care.

Old 10-09-2005, 03:59 PM   #5
    *Versailles*
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

*Versailles* HB User

Hi,

These are my concerns. First, I've been on antibiotics for almost a week now and it continues to get worse. I also HAVE been using medication for ulcers and it offers me no relief. I've now lost my appetite simply because it hurts so bad to have anything in my mouth or throat. My tonsils are not at all swollen, the sore just happens to be in close proximity to them. I am also really concerned that the sore keeps continuing to get more and more agitated and keeps growing. I've been avoiding hot and spicy foods and other irritants to my best ability and things just keep getting worse. I don't know....I'm just really worried about it.

Old 10-09-2005, 04:13 PM   #6
    WhiteLight
    Inactive
    (female)

WhiteLight HB User

Hi again Dark,

I can understand you being very worried about this. Did the doctor rule out tonsilitis? All you can do is gargle with salt-water, take painkillers to relive the discomft and pain & speak to your local pharmacist about another over-the-counter product to help & then, get another appointment with your doctor. If the doctor wont listen, then see another one.

Old 10-11-2005, 04:18 PM   #7
    penneyn
    (female)

penneyn HB User

I had something similar to this back in my teens after having been on a farm for several weeks. In my case, the problem was around my lips and on my gums. I was diagnosed as having trenchmouth. The doctors told me it had to do with the dust the horses threw up as they moved around. I remember that it even hurt me to drink water. Not sure if this is your problem, but it might be worth checking out, since you have been around horses.

Old 10-11-2005, 09:47 PM   #8
    desertflower
    (female)

desertflower HB User

Mouth ulcers can get quite large and the appearance you gave sounds just like one. I have had one before, right where you describe yours being, it was years ago when I was 19 and scared me to death. I was also sick with sinus, sore thoat etc... It will go away on its own, mine took about 10 days to 2 weeks to completely heal. It is no big deal. Gargle with some salt water, might sting some but does help and don't worry. If it is not gone in say 2 weeks call your doc back. I hope you feel better soon.

DF

Old 10-12-2005, 09:32 PM   #9
    *Versailles*
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

*Versailles* HB User
    Unhappy Re: Sore in throat...so scared...please help!!

Hi everyone, thanks for the responses.

It has now been over two weeks since the sore first appeared...and is still yet to have any improvement...even with ulcer medication and pain killers. And to make things worse, I've redeveloped my cough with makes it hurt worse. The doctors ruled out Mono, but they said there are still some more, less common things they can check for. My biggest concern is that it isn't just an ulcer/cold sore/whatever, my neck and jaw are also painful and swollen, and the sore was bleeding the other day...

I just am so scared.....I thought it was starting to get better yesterday, but now it has flared up again.....I'm really concerned.

Closed Thread