It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Open to All Other Health Topics Message Board

• Fractured Rib, No Insurance Please Read!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 12-11-2005, 02:36 AM   #1
    cali619
    (male)

cali619 HB User
    Unhappy Fractured Rib, No Insurance Please Read!

Last friday i went to a concert for my twenty first birthday, and like an idiot i drank too much and went into the moshpit for a brief moment. during that time, i was stricken by another body very hard, and the wind was knocked out of me. right away i felt a stabbing pain in my right side, just under the breast. since that night, whenever i lay on my back i feel immediate pain in that spot and it is amplified when i breath while laying down. the only time it won't hurt when laying down is if i lay on my left side. when i run it hurts to breathe....i have NO MEDICAL INSURANCE and have virtually no money for a doctor visit or clinic. if i lay on my back, simply lifting my head an inch sends pain to my ribcage in that spot. it is swollen and hard, not soft like muscular injury might be, and painful to apply pressure. i am quite sure it is fractured, possibly separated? anyway what is the best thing to do for a fractured rib, if that is what it sounds like? someone told me to take a wetsuit and cut out just the chest section, and wear it as a girdle for support under my shirt. this sounds like it would help but on a website it said for rib fractures to "Do not wear a rib belt or binder." should i ? or wrap it in a huge ace bandage? today 400MG ibuprofen did NOTHING for the pain, i shouted out in pain while trying to stretch out my back on the floor, laying down and sitting up made it unbearable pain. please give advice, i cannot go to the doctor for another three months!!! i am in sever pain only when i lay down or become winded, or stretch or push on my side. should i get a girdle or apply ice or heat??? thank you if you reply !!!i will never go into the moshpit again!!!

Last edited by cali619; 12-11-2005 at 02:41 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-11-2005, 04:08 AM   #2
    HELLASRULES
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

HELLASRULES HB UserHELLASRULES HB User
    Re: Fractured Rib, No Insurance Please Read!

Check your area for health clinics in your area. Even though you do not have health insurance, there are medical facilities you can go to for care. THere are many, many people who do not have health insurance. They may even be able to set up a payment plan for you, or charge according to your circumstances. In any case, an exam & xray shouldn't be so expensive that you shouldn't get it checked.
    It may be a fractured rib, or not. But you really should be seen. And although most fractured ribs will heal on their own, at the very least they could get you something for the pain. (And stop the stretching & exersize, as you don't want to make the pain worse & it won't help if it's fractured...rest.)
    Perhaps your parents or friends will help with the expense??

Old 12-11-2005, 04:10 AM   #3
    kehorner
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

kehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB User

You can try ice for pain relief. Ibuprofen or acetominophen (tylenol). I would stay away from aspirin, since it can decrease clotting, which is a bad thing if you have an injury. But ice is generally the way to go in the first few days after an injury, especially if it's a bone injury or really swollen. You can try a bag of frozen vegetables (peas, corn), which I prefer because they conform to your body and don't have pointy hard corners! Fifteen minutes on, fifteen minutes off... Don't OD on pain meds, because that can really mess you up. Basically, if it hurts, don't do it. You need to take it easy, because broken ribs can make sharp edges near your internal organs (not a good thing). If you start having trouble breathing or weird stuff going on, definitely go to the emergency room. Hope you feel better!

Old 12-11-2005, 02:31 PM   #4
    cali619
    (male)

cali619 HB User
    Exclamation Re: Fractured Rib, No Insurance Please Read!

thanx for the advice. my next question is this: i just started a new fulltime job working in a factory running small pieces of lumber thru an automatic saw , i've only worked one day so far and its still on the "trying me out phase" until friday, technically i work for five days then they decide whether to keep me or not. if i get a note and don't work, i'm almost positive they will not hire me with having needing special treatment, or time off, so early. my dad says to tough it out and just take it easy at work, lift a little bit at at time. i need a job, i have basically no money in the bank and have many bills and my car is about to die on me so i NEED a source of income, if i lose this job i will be done for. advice?

Old 12-11-2005, 02:39 PM   #5
    Hangin in There
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Hangin in There HB User

Do you have parents that could help you out?

Old 12-11-2005, 11:40 PM   #6
    cali619
    (male)

cali619 HB User

yeah , but they won't. they're like ''well you shouldn't have spent all your money in vegas...you should have money in savings". what about this, what if i went to a clinic and just got the exam, tell them i can't really afford the xray (since all theyr'e gonna do is wrap me up and give me painpills and tell me to take it easy) and get a prescription for pain meds? i've heard that for a fractured rib all they do is just that.

Closed Thread