It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Open to All Other Health Topics Message Board

• Rib pain is back--what is this?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-04-2006, 07:52 AM   #1
    yanksgirl
    (female)

yanksgirl HB User
    Rib pain is back--what is this?

The pain in my ribs (see other post of week ago on rib pain), let up considerably and now, after walking some yesterday and sleeping in our own bed again--a firm mattress-- the pain is bad on my left side. To the point that I had to get up and sit in the recliner to get in a position to ease the pain. It hurts when I blow my nose or cough--thank God the cough is nearly gone but presents itself off and on during the day. I'm seeing the Chiropractor this morning and will probably have another 'electrode' and heat treatment. Just wondering if any of you have had this occur and if so, what did you do? My internist did send out Dorvocette for the pain and it helped me thru two really intense pain filled days of pain on both sides around the ribs. I'm discouraged, since this is my first experience at anything like this. As a senior, I do hope this isn't a sign of 'things to come'. No fracture showed up in the x ray taken either. Thanks.
    Yanksgirl

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-05-2006, 06:08 PM   #2
    HELLASRULES
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

HELLASRULES HB UserHELLASRULES HB User
    Re: Rib pain is back--what is this?

Hi Yanksgirl,
    I just went back to read your other post. I had a similar problem last winter/spring lasting 4 months. My pain started on the right side in the middle of the night. Like that other poster I came close to calling 911 also. I was given xrays, MRI, pain meds, saw my doctor 2-3 times, the ER once, an orthopoedic doctor,and finally told my doctor to do something cause I couldn't stand it any longer. I was counting the days of the pain...and no one could give me a diagnosis. (Like the other poster, I thought it might be costochondroitis.) Anyway, the pain started on the right side and then had the exact same pain, in the same place, on the left side. It hurt to breath, cough, move, just exist. Worst pain I've ever had, and hope to heck it never comes back! My doctor finally sent me to physical therapy, where I was given heat treatments, stretching exersizes and some massage therapy. The pain seemed to get worse before it got better, but after 4 weeks I was getting some relief from the pain, and am now 100% pain-free, although I still stretch from time to time.
    So, I don't really know what the answer is, as I never did get a diagnosis. But I'm 50 and have no idea what caused it either, except it did start when I had a bad cold with cough.
    So the only thing I can suggest is see your doctor again and push him for finding the cause or finding something that will help.
    I know how bad this kind of pain can be and hope you feel better soon.
    I may take the advice of the other poster and go with that memory foam mattress topper...I hear good things about them, and maybe it will help with all the other aches, and prevent the rib pain again.
    Hellas

Old 01-06-2006, 09:36 AM   #3
    yanksgirl
    (female)

yanksgirl HB User

Wow! sounds like it's exactly what I have! Yesterday was a better day, but when I went to bed last night, the pain was intense! I tried lying on the opposite side from the pain and couldn't get easy so rolled onto my back. Moving during the night was painful. Today, I'm alot more uncomfortable than yesterday. As I said, I've seen my Chiropractor about 3 times for all of this and he's x rayed, done the 'fork' test for a fracture, and found none, used ultrasound deep moist heat and electrode therapy. He also gave me some stretching exercises to do. I'm doing those and even though it hurts some, in a strange way it feels good. I sure hope this goes away. I'm taking the dorvocette and 3 Aspirin a day (250 mg.)since I can't take aspirin as a rule because it causes stomach distress. I decided to try a lower dose to help with the inflamation. I still haven't seen my own doctor, just called him a couple of times. If this isn't better over the weekend, I'll go see him.
    I'll let you know how it goes. Again, thanks for the input. Hope you continue to do well. yanksgirl

Old 01-06-2006, 05:09 PM   #4
    HELLASRULES
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Yanksgirl,
    I had a terrible time lying flat in bed also. So for weeks I slept on my loveseat. Not an easy task when you're 5'10"!! But lying on the side that hurt the most seemed to help for some strange reason!
    Hope you feel better soon. If it's what I had, it was sure miserable to live with daily.
    Although I never did get a definite diagnosis, my best guess was either costochondroitis or slipping rib syndrome. The later one seemed to fit with what the physical therapist noted when they were working with me.
    Good luck, and let me know how you're doing. Oh, and I used a heating pad a lot and also those sticky thermal heat pads that you put on your skin, and the heat lasts for about 8 hours. That helped as well as anything.
    Hellas

Old 01-07-2006, 03:18 PM   #5
    Lady InPain
    Inactive
    (female)

Lady InPain HB User

Has any questioned the two of you about your gallbladder? When my gallbladder acted up I had pain in my ribs, couldnt decide if it was my heart or my stomach. I felt like I had horrible gas, but did not. After 2 weeks it was rec. to me to get a gallbladder ultrasound, and it did show "sludge" in there. It was odd where all of the different pain radiated to, but was told that it was normal for the GB to have pain radiating to different areas.
    Hope you all can get to feeling better!

Lady

Old 01-07-2006, 05:38 PM   #6
    HELLASRULES
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Thanks, Lady.
    I did think of that, but never pursued it myself, as I kind of assumed there would be other symptoms like nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, fever??? And I didn't have any of that. If the pain ever comes back I'll definitely have it checked, though.
    Hellas

Old 01-08-2006, 06:58 AM   #7
    yanksgirl
    (female)

yanksgirl HB User

Lady--thanks for your answer and suggestion. However, I had my gallbladder removed in 1998 so that isn't my problem. You're right, the pain from gall bladder and other things can radiate and you don't really know where it's coming from.

Closed Thread