It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Open to All Other Health Topics Message Board

• Tide, chemicals, allergic reactions--what to do!?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-14-2006, 05:02 PM   #1
    Newanda
    (male)

Newanda HB User
    Tide, chemicals, allergic reactions--what to do!?

My mother had eaten at a restaurant about a MONTH ago and had a severe allergic reaction to something in the food. She turned bright red, and her throat felt like it was closing. She went to the hospital and they gave her benadryl and sent her away. The next day, the same thing happened. They gave her benadryl, a steroid--a big mistake--and sent her away. On and off her throat was bothering her until finally--after had not eaten anything for about 5 days--she said, ENOUGH! And checked herself into the hospital and got hooked up to IV's so they could feed her--remember, she had not eaten in a while. They gave her all these drugs, which made her worse. Finally, they did an endoscopy (sp.?) and looked down her throat to find that it was merely inflamed. Meanwhile, from all the medications they gave her, she developed thrush. She went to another doctor who told her the first time she had a chemical reaction to something in the food and all the medication the hospital gave her made her develop thrush and was just adding to her reaction. He said stay away from chemicals, all medications, and rest for a week and youíll be better. She stayed at my grandmothers for a few more days until she felt almost completely better. Excited, she returned home. She had heard Tide sucks--which it does--so she asked that my father would wash all our stuff in Ivory instead of Tide for now on. We did so. The second night she was home, I had just washed my bed sheets and brought them up--they were washed in Ivory. She turned slightly red, and her throat began to bother her some more. Well guess what, at the time, we did not know Tide's enzyme binds to clothing. So now where is she? My grandmothers again. She refuses to return until we get the Tide out of our house completely. As of now, we've poured half a gallon of vinegar in the washing machine. And washed everything in vinegar--one cup--about two times, and then rewashed them in All.

The other day, my grandmother was washing some of my motherís cloths in vinegar--she did this twice--and she said it felt like there was a film on it still; perhaps, Tide?

Have any of you heard of this happening as a result of Tide? Am I doing the right thing by washing the cloths in vinegar? What would you do? Please respond quickly. I want my mother to be healthy again and to be able to return home!

PS. Do you think the Tide caused her to turn red and experience throat discomfort the time she finally came home and I brought my bed sheets by her?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-14-2006, 05:49 PM   #2
    Titchou
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
    Re: Tide, chemicals, allergic reactions--what to do!?

Tide makes a product called Tide Free...no fragrance, etc...I have to use it because regular washing powders cause me to itch. She obviously needs to be evaluated by an allergist. She apparently has food allergies which may or may not be connected to the other reactions. She needs to try and remember exactly what she ate when she had the reaction and then call the restaurant and get a list of ALL the ingredients and take that along to the allergist. Good luck!

Old 01-14-2006, 07:20 PM   #3
    marjoe60

marjoe60 HB User

Sounds like she might have Multiple Chemical Sensitivity which is what I have. Go to a store like Wild Oats or Whole Foods and get a non toxic laundry detergent with no fragrance. People with MCS have trouble just walking down the isle of a supermarket by the scented detergents.

When I was really sick with MCS (also called environmental illness), I became allergic to almost all foods and lived on fruit and yogurt for three months - now I can eat almost anything but no food aditives or color and I am very careful in restaurants. MSG often used in restaurants caused my throat to close.

It starts spreading and you can become sick from so many things like putting gas in your car, the smell of paint, someone wearing perfume and esp stuff like fabric softener. Put in "Multiple Chemical Sensitivity" in google.
    Marilyn

Old 01-14-2006, 08:20 PM   #4
    Newanda
    (male)

Newanda HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Titchou
    Tide makes a product called Tide Free...no fragrance, etc...I have to use it because regular washing powders cause me to itch. She obviously needs to be evaluated by an allergist. She apparently has food allergies which may or may not be connected to the other reactions. She needs to try and remember exactly what she ate when she had the reaction and then call the restaurant and get a list of ALL the ingredients and take that along to the allergist. Good luck!
    She had gone to an allergist and was tested for everything she ate. She was not allergic to any of it! That's why I didn't mention it in the post.

marjoe60, what you said sounds close to what is going on with her. When do you think it'll pass?

Old 01-16-2006, 10:34 AM   #5
    storm12
    (female)

storm12 HB User

I was going to say that "Tide-Free" is one of the only detergents I can use - and the liquid version as opposed to the powder version. It has been this way since I was very young, when my mom discovered that I would break out in a rash with anything other than Tide. This is still true for the most part.

Was she tested for absolutely everything she ate? And the things that she perhaps ate earlier in the day? Delayed reactions are possible.

Closed Thread