It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Open to All Other Health Topics Message Board

• arms going numb and fainting

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-14-2006, 08:45 PM   #1
    violin mom
    (female)

violin mom HB User
    arms going numb and fainting

I have a daughter who is a violinist ad has been experiencing pain in her neck, shoulders and ultimately numbness in her hands and arms. She has been told this is thoracic outlet by 2 medical professionalist, 1 said its in her head and the last says its scoliosis. This has caused alot of stress on her and now she has been passing out and having a hard time breathing are these related? She also has Neurocardiogenic syncopy. this last week she passed out twice and once was taken to the ER. they ran all tests and came back normal. Suggested a heart ultrasound saying she may have a vegas nerve problem. what could this be?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-15-2006, 06:29 AM   #2
    feelbad
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User
    Re: arms going numb and fainting

Did she actually have an MRI or are these docs all just taking guesses here?what you mentioned is a vaso-vagal response.for some reason when her vagal nerve gets stimulated or irritated,the nerve kind of spasms(the vaso part) and people can faint from this.this can also happen like when someone is sitting on the toilet trying to move a BM and pushes to hard?they will actually faint from this same type of reponse.I don't know a whole lot about it but have seen a few people have syncople episodes(fainting)just from this response alone,back when i still had a life as a medic.

if she has not had an actual MRI done on her c spine area she really does need one,if she has,just what did it stste in the report?If you do not have a copy,get one.you need copies of any and all testing done and the clinic notes from every doc she sees,along with any hosp stays.even er visits.reading thru allof this stuff will really help you to see jkjust what any particular doc may actually feel what is going on.I would think,just fromt he positioning of someones head when theyplaythe violin,with it kinda crooked to one side?would cause some prolems down the road for someone who has been doing this for a long time,espescially if this was actually going on during the childhood growing years.her neck and c spine could possibly be the biggest problems here just because while she was keeping this held position for all that time,one side of the muscles and tendons and ligaments,not to mention the actual discs inside the c spine vertebrae,could,and i am saying could,have actually grown a bit shorter on the side that she was actually leaning towards sowhen she actually straightens her head upright,it would not feel real comfortable for her.do you know what I am trying to say?

just what types of docs did she see that were medical "professionals"?there could actually be many different causes for your daughters pain and symptoms.it is kind of a game of rulein rule out by doing various testing.but she really does need to see a good neurosurgeon if she hasn't already.she has to have an actual real Dx before she can actually get the right type of treatment for her condition.There is definite nerve impingement somewhere just from what you have described.the vagal nerve or vagus.governs alot of different body systems and actual functions.have you done any sor of research on that nerve at all to see where and how it actually runs and then comparing your daughters symptoms?this really is the best way to see how a certain nerve may or may not be compromised or even involved in a specific issue.i have had o do this with many spinal nerves and spinal tracts because of the extensive totally bizarre symptoms i was getting after a pretty nasty sp cord injury caused by a surgery done on the inside of my spinal cord.I started playing 'detective" mostly out of desperation as all of these totally freaky things were happeneing and I needed to know why.thats when I really found out the true extent of all that was really damaged in my cord.and my NS then confirmed it all for me.start just googling vagus nerve and see where you end up.and any other possible Dx that you have been given,such as the thorasic outlet syndrome.if I remember right,if you go wayy on down here to the neuopathy or neuromuscular boards way down the listings here on the boards,i do recall a few people with the TOS that you mentioned who have recieved this same Dx.go down to those boards,it is one of those two,and just ask hem some questions.everyone on these boards is always so willing to help another.thats why I stay here.it is a very caring group of people.please keep me posted on just what you find out,K? good luck,**

Closed Thread