It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Open to All Other Health Topics Message Board

• please help... i smell like onions!!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-31-2006, 02:39 PM   #1
    dpop
    (female)

dpop HB User
    please help... i smell like onions!!

Iīve never had any problems with bodor odor but this past summer i noticed a change in my scent. In the beginning I thought it was coming from my genital area but i realized my arm pits also have the same smell when i sweat. Itīs a really bitter/sour smell, almost exactly like a red onion. My sense of smell has also become really senstive to anything resembling an onion. I can no longer eat anything containing onions and the smell is over powering to me. Since this time Iīve noticed the same change occurring with the smell of my gas and feces. At first I thought it would change back to my normal scent on itīs own but itīs been months and it hasnīt changed. If anyone can give me any insight/advice I would really appreciate it. I have no idea what to do and itīs beginning to interfere with my daily life.

Thank you!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-31-2006, 03:10 PM   #2
    cookiepls
    Inactive
    (female)

cookiepls HB User
    Re: please help... i smell like onions!!

Hi dpop,

Has your diet changed at all since this started? Are you eating anything new r different? There's only one disorder that I know of that could cause the body odor that you're describing (aminoaciduria), but a simple urine test at your doctor's office could rule that out for you. The culprit is usually diet.

Old 01-31-2006, 03:29 PM   #3
    dpop
    (female)

dpop HB User

I havenīt been eating anything out of the norm. Iīm a vegetarian so i eat a lot of soy products... perhaps a bit more than usual lately. But i really have quite a healthy diet. A lot of organic food... lotīs of fruits and veggies. I was trying to do some research on it and one site mentioned that an increase in stress sometimes contributes to a change in body odor. Do you think that could be a possibility as well?

thanks for your time!!

Old 01-31-2006, 03:40 PM   #4
    mjewell
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

mjewell HB Usermjewell HB Usermjewell HB Usermjewell HB User

This may be way off, but after I moved into my new house I noticed my bath towels had that same oniony-b.o. smell to them after only once or twice of using them after my showers. I thought maybe I had B.O. but I realized it was my water that has the oniony smell. I'm not sure what mineral causes that, but i need to get a water softener anyway. Maybe that will help.

Old 01-31-2006, 04:13 PM   #5
    cookiepls
    Inactive
    (female)

cookiepls HB User

Stress can certainly make you sweat more, but it shouldn't change your natural odor of sweat. Hmm, just had another thought. What about detergent? Have you switched brands? I guess, you could try looking at all the environmental factors first to see what you can eliminate as the possible cause. Food, drink, detergents, soaps, recent illness, water, medicines, etc.. If none of those things are the cause, then you might want to see a doctor. I wish I could be of more help.

Last edited by cookiepls; 01-31-2006 at 04:16 PM.

Old 01-31-2006, 04:25 PM   #6
    cookiepls
    Inactive
    (female)

cookiepls HB User

dpop,
    I forgot to ask you. Does anyone else think you smell like onion? Is there someone you could ask who you would trust to tell you? It could be an olfactory problem if no one else smells it.

Old 02-04-2006, 09:57 PM   #7
    dvachon
    (female)

dvachon HB User

Try chlorophyll. Im on it as a detox. Doc recommended it. Also good for your problem.

Closed Thread