HealthBoards

HealthBoards (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Open to All Other Health Topics (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/open-all-other-health-topics/)
-   -   question about nutrition fact label on popcorn (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/open-all-other-health-topics/376945-question-about-nutrition-fact-label-popcorn.html)

jeps1lon 03-24-2006 11:41 PM

question about nutrition fact label on popcorn

I'm not sure if this entirely appropriate for this forum, and I sure hope I don't get banned, but here it is.

Have you guys ever noticed how in the nutrition labels of popcorn, they have both the nutrition facts for "Unpopped" and "Popped" popcorn (it's amazing how the amount of fat and other nutritional items are dramatically reduced by popping).

I'm not sure I understand why they do this?

Everyone in their right mind eats the popcorn "Popped". Right?

Can someone help me figure this out?

Misty800 03-25-2006 02:59 PM

Re: question about nutrition fact label on popcorn

More kernels of unpopped corn will fit into a measuring cup than the light fluffy popped kernels. In other words, the popped popcorn will contain fewer corn kernels than the cup with all unpopped kernels.

jeps1lon 03-25-2006 05:21 PM

[QUOTE=Misty800]More kernels of unpopped corn will fit into a measuring cup than the light fluffy popped kernels. In other words, the popped popcorn will contain fewer corn kernels than the cup with all unpopped kernels.[/QUOTE]

I'm not sure I understand what you are telling me? It doesn't make much sense to me.

What i'm saying is, why would they put the nutrition facts for unpopped corn if no one eats the unpopped corn, we all pop it.

Misty800 03-25-2006 06:09 PM

O.K. I will try again. Some people need to watch their diet, such as diabetics. In this case, diabetics need to know how many carbs or fat is in an amount of unpopped kernels of popcorn. Then they can pop the amount they are able to consume and remain within their diet limitations. This might end up being 2 cups of popped corn or 1 1/2 cups or whatever. A 1/4 cup of unpopped kernels will vary in measurement produced by popping due to kernels not popping fully or some more than others. Nutrition of unpopped corn is the more accurate way of determining fat and carbs per serving.

In case of the popped kernels of corn, the fluffy kernels are not of uniform size and is more difficult to determine the exact amount of carbs or fat in a measurement.

This means nothing to those who do not need to count carbs, fats, etc. we eat whatever we want and enjoy.

jeps1lon 03-25-2006 11:43 PM

[QUOTE=Misty800]O.K. I will try again. Some people need to watch their diet, such as diabetics. In this case, diabetics need to know how many carbs or fat is in an amount of unpopped kernels of popcorn. Then they can pop the amount they are able to consume and remain within their diet limitations. This might end up being 2 cups of popped corn or 1 1/2 cups or whatever. A 1/4 cup of unpopped kernels will vary in measurement produced by popping due to kernels not popping fully or some more than others. Nutrition of unpopped corn is the more accurate way of determining fat and carbs per serving.

In case of the popped kernels of corn, the fluffy kernels are not of uniform size and is more difficult to determine the exact amount of carbs or fat in a measurement.

This means nothing to those who do not need to count carbs, fats, etc. we eat whatever we want and enjoy.[/QUOTE]

I don't mean to insult you or anger you, but I don't think you understand what I am asking, and perhaps, because i'm not asking correctly.

Why would you measure how much fat or carbs etc. is in a cup, or whatever you choose to measure with, of a certain amount of UNPOPPED kernels? You don't eat the unpopped kernels (maybe you do, accidentally), you eat the popped kernels, which is the actual popcorn, and according the box, the company has already provided the nutritional values for you. You say it is difficult to measure the value of the fluffy popcorn, and sure, that makes sense, but the FDA (or the organization that regulates the food produced in america), would not allow a company to release inaccurate information; of course however, most nutritional labels are estimated, but still accurate.

My question still remains, i'm not asking why nutritional labels exist in general, i'm asking why they provide the nutritional facts for unpopped popcorn.

Anyone else out there want to give this a try?

GLSheridan 03-26-2006 07:25 AM

[QUOTE=jeps1lon]I don't mean to insult you or anger you, but I don't think you understand what I am asking, and perhaps, because i'm not asking correctly.

Why would you measure how much fat or carbs etc. is in a cup, or whatever you choose to measure with, of a certain amount of UNPOPPED kernels? You don't eat the unpopped kernels (maybe you do, accidentally), you eat the popped kernels, which is the actual popcorn, and according the box, the company has already provided the nutritional values for you. You say it is difficult to measure the value of the fluffy popcorn, and sure, that makes sense, but the FDA (or the organization that regulates the food produced in america), would not allow a company to release inaccurate information; of course however, most nutritional labels are estimated, but still accurate.

My question still remains, i'm not asking why nutritional labels exist in general, i'm asking why they provide the nutritional facts for unpopped popcorn.

Anyone else out there want to give this a try?[/QUOTE]

What the other poster is saying is that many people may want to measure the popcorn unpopped, as the measurement would be more exact or specific. Popped popcorn is irregularly shaped, and doesn't really fit into a cup uniformly, while unpopped kernals do. So, people have the option to measure the unpopped kernals and apply the nutrition information from the "unpopped information), or measure after popping. In both situations, only the popped corn is eaten, but it allows for different ways to measure the nutritional information.

As far as the difference in the nutrition labels, it's because there are less popped kernels in a cup than unpopped kernals. If you take a cup of popped kernels, you're just getting a handful of popcorn. However, if you measure a cup of unpopped kernels and then pop it, that initial cup is going to turn into many cups of popped kernels. The unpopped kernals contain more fat, calories, etc, because when popped, there is much more popcorn.

Make sense?