It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Open to All Other Health Topics Message Board

• I've been having these "bug" bites for over a month now!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-13-2006, 11:28 AM   #1
    carolinagirl
    (female)

carolinagirl HB User
    Angry I've been having these "bug" bites for over a month now!

Hi my name is Carolina and I'm from New York. Recently, I just moved into my new apartment. To be exact May 1st. So, it's now been over a month. And 2 weeks into living there, I developed some sort of Red Swelling Round Bite. I'm not sure if it is a bit but I went to go see my doctor and he had told me that it is a bacterial infection. I went under 1 dosage of Anti Biotics and then it started clearing away. Finally after a few days of being on it, I was off it for 2 or 3 days and during those couple of days the "bites" started developing again. I went under another dosage of anti-biotics and same thing happened, but the bites didn't develop as badly as the first week. I saw this bug crawling near my bed that seemed to look like a bed bug but i'm not sure. I did research on "bed bugs" and some are bigger than others and a lot of the pictures I looked at are close up shots so I don't know how big they are. I also saw the other day as my window was opened, what seemed to look like a mosquito. Keep in mind that all my furniture is new. My Bed Frame, My Mattress, all of it. My husband isn't getting any bites. I am just the one getting these bites. The doctor had told me it was Hives but I don't believe him. I even took a blood test and he said my blood is a little infected but just because of the anti biotics that I was on. Other than that my blood is fine and I'm not allergic to anything as well. I honestly thinking it's something maybe around my work; I have a lot of plants and these little fruit flys flying all over so now I wear Socks with sneakers. Since of the nice weather I have been wearing sandles. Since I've been wearing Sneakers nothing has been happening. However, they other day I had developed 2 "bites" on my feet. That couldn't of happened at work but only in my apartment overnight while I was sleeping. So, now i'm thinking it's something in my apartment. I'm a clean person, always keeping everything clean, but this past week i've seen a bug that might be a bed bug. However, I checked under my mattress, inbetween cracks, the floors and no signs of stains or many bed bugs. Just ONE. And keep in mind that my husband hasn't gotten any beg bugs as well. I know he doesn't have to necessarily get any "bites" but just keep that in mind. I don't know what it could be and if you could help me out that would be great. I would greatly appreciate that. It's very annoying and irritating. I mean it's not as bad as before, but it's coming, and going, and coming back which is annoying me so much. I'm supposed to go see a dermatalogist next week for the first time because my doctor I believe doesn't know what he's doing. And I currently don't have insurance and I have been paying tons of money. I believe there is a solution to my problem as to every problem and I will soon figure it out! Thank you for your time and patience.
    Carolina

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-14-2006, 11:18 AM   #2
    kitkat77
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

kitkat77 HB User
    Re: I've been having these "bug" bites for over a month now!

[QUOTE]
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by carolinafabiana
    I went to go see my doctor and he had told me that it is a bacterial infection.
    Didn't he mention what kind?

Quote:
    I went under 1 dosage of Anti Biotics and then it started clearing away. Finally after a few days of being on it, I was off it for 2 or 3 days and during those couple of days the "bites" started developing again. I went under another dosage of anti-biotics and same thing happened, but the bites didn't develop as badly as the first week.
    Obviously they are responsive to antibiotics so highly possible it IS a bacterial skin infection. You cannot take antibiotics now and then -- they MUST be taken every day until the bottle is finished!!! Stopping or coming off antibiotics in the middle of treatment will render them ineffective. This could be your problem.

Quote:
    I am just the one getting these bites. The doctor had told me it was Hives but I don't believe him. I even took a blood test and he said my blood is a little infected but just because of the anti biotics that I was on.
    Well I don't believe they are bug bites either, but I'm not sure about the hives because you didn't mention that they are itchy. Also, how can your blood be a little infected, and due to antibiotics??? Infected with WHAT?

Quote:
    I'm supposed to go see a dermatalogist next week for the first time because my doctor I believe doesn't know what he's doing.
    Wonderful idea!

Last edited by kitkat77; 06-14-2006 at 11:20 AM.

Old 06-14-2006, 12:57 PM   #3
    ticker
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

ticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB User

Hi Carolina. Do you think these could be tick bites? If so, you need to take them seriously because ticks can transmit several serious diseases including Lyme disease (a multi-system bacterial infection), Babesiosis, Ehrlichiosis (HME & HGE), Bartonella, and Mycoplasma. I believe that New York has the highest number of cases of Lyme disease in the US.

If you get a bullseye rash, you defintely have Lyme disease; however, only about 50% of people who have Lyme ever get a rash. It is a good idea to get photos of your rashes, they are important documentation that you may need later.

Maybe you need to fumigate your appartment.

Old 06-14-2006, 01:00 PM   #4
    nowhere-child
    (female)

nowhere-child HB User

Are the bites mostly on your legs and thighs, or generally all over?

Old 06-15-2006, 08:30 AM   #5
    carolinagirl
    (female)

carolinagirl HB User

Okay well ACTUALLY I did find bed bugs in my apartment last night! I just couldn't take it anymore and I started looking along the side of the cracks of the walls, in the corners, etc. I found a few bed bugs here and there. I killed a bed bug last week and blood came out of it. Thats a sign that it bites. My doctor has no clue what he's doing because it isn't a bacterial infection because if it was then he would of found something seariously wrong in my blood and he would of been able to clearly identify exactly was was going on inside my blood. They aren't tick bites. They are definetly bed bugs. Today i'm having one of my exterminators take a look at it. Yes they were responsive to anti-biotics but that doesn't mean that they aren't bites. The doctor specifically told me himself that some are bites and some are hives before the 2nd dosage of the anti biotics. The bites could of been a reaction to the hives. But we will see! Thanks for reading guys!

Old 06-15-2006, 02:02 PM   #6
    MommaBee
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

MommaBee HB User

More than likely you got them from the furniture you just bought. There was an episode of "People's Court" were a woman bought a new mattress from a guy that was selling refurbished mattress' and sold her one with bed bugs in it. She didn't know it was a refurbished mattress and was getting bit really bad. She tore open the mattress to find a nest there. Of course she won her case. Could be in your couch and chairs also. Best to investigate those things too. You will have to destroy them if they are your source.
    Good luck!

Old 06-15-2006, 06:50 PM   #7
    Sunlover
    Senior Veteran

Sunlover HB User

Could they be fleas???

Old 06-16-2006, 09:39 AM   #8
    carolinagirl
    (female)

carolinagirl HB User

I just moved into my apartment and there is NO FURNITURE except for my bed and bed frame and TV. It's definetly coming from inside the walls of the building because thats where I found them. I got my mattress from Macy's which is a good department store and gotten all my mattresses from there. Bed Bugs dont necessarly have to hide in matresses. They can also hide in Walls, Cracks, Corners, Floors, Dark places....etc. Now I am moving out of my apartment because who wants to be in that even if the exterminator clears them up; they still won't go away. Bed Bugs is a serious health issue and nobody should have to suffer. Honestly, I've gotten so many bites on me that I can't even stand entering my apartment anymore. It's nto fleas. I just got the bed bugs investigated yesterday and last night I found out that they are bed bugs. Now i'm assuming the landlord is going to blame the mattress. But, I have done my research and homework even if I go to court, no way she will win this case. If you guys have any other suggestions please let me know. I just started looking for apartments again. Anyone who is moving into a new apartment always be aware of Bugs in general. I asked my landlord before I made this decision if there has been any problems regarding the apartment and she clearly said no. However, there is always that chance! So please take extra care of what you are doing when moving out. Thank you for listening! bye!

Old 06-16-2006, 12:39 PM   #9
    ticker
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

ticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB User

Carolinafabiana this is terrible. I am sorry you have have to move. I hope your current landlord will not give you any problems. Good luck!

Old 06-19-2006, 08:37 AM   #10
    carolinagirl
    (female)

carolinagirl HB User

Thoughfuls-thanks for the information. I honestly did so much research on Bed Bugs as well. Actually, 2 nights ago I was itching my arm and I'm like omg another bed bug and I was awake the whole night trying to find it on my bed and there was one on my husbands arm. Mind you the hall way light was on so I could see clearly. I picked it up and threw it on the floor. I know silly me I should of killed it. Anyway, today I have a huge swell on my arm and it's almost the size of half of my arm. it's gross. I moved out of my apartment into my parents house until I get it all exterminated. I just cleaned all my clothes and moved out. I left everything else in there to be exterminated. This is a serious matter, i've been suffering for about a month now and I just can't live there anymore. My mattress I got from macys and my bed frame from IKEA and I don't think anything is wrong with it. (all my furniture is new) I found a few bed bugs (very tiny & had them investigated) on the corner of each walls of my apartment bedroom. Mind you I just moved in a little over a month ago. The research that you have done is very much true. I took antibiotics and they cleared away but as soon as I was off them, they came back. I had to retake another dosage. Anyway, last night was my first night back at my parents house. So hopefully, I don't get anymore bites. It's just so sad. The landlord had told me that she never heard of such a thing. I actually got a lawyer to do something about this whole problem. I'm looking into other aparments right now because I do work in a realty RE/MAX. And also I want all my security deposit back and my furniture money back. But the bed bugs do seem that they came from the buildings itself. I found 2 alive ones that I killed and had investigated & a few tiny inside the corner cracks of my bedroom. So it is a great possibility that they came from the apartment. Anyway, It's a huge deal to me because I'm only 22 and I saved up all this money to move out of my house and buy all this furniture and utensils and it's sad that it has to be all thrown away. Alrighty thank you for listening bye!

Old 06-21-2006, 05:42 AM   #11
    Worried1977
    Inactive
    (female)

Worried1977 HB User

Ive always heard of bed bugs but never thought they really existed. what do they look like and should i be looking for them?

Ive never had any trouble with bites although my b/f last year kept getting this tiny cluster looking rash on his arm and on his finger but it was so tiny we never thought anything of it. and it seemed to happen out of the blue

Ive gotten the occasional "spider bite" before. not lately though. i cant stand the thought of an insect (ESPECIALLY A SPIDER) crawling on me at night especially when im sleeping not knowing if my mouth is open or closed. Ive heard a person eats so many spiders in their sleep and sometimes i feel like putting tape over my mouth at bedtime. ICK!!

Sounds like to me there was probably some kind of bug in that apartment that the old tenants left behind! hope everything works out for you.

Old 06-21-2006, 08:02 AM   #12
    carolinagirl
    (female)

carolinagirl HB User

Worried- Well I've gotten all these bed bug bites throughout my whole body. Very itchy and swells up depending on how sensitive your skin really is. I think everyone should worry about them to a certain extent. I mean the reason why I was so worried was because I kept getting 2 or 3 bites each day and they weren't pretty looking or anything. My advice would be if you are moving into a new apartment always be careful and ask the neighbors who lived before there and get some information before you actually sign the lease. If you do have bed bugs and you get an exterminator; just move out. Exterminating your apartment will do something for a small period of time and then the bugs will come back eventually. Also, smelling those chemicals all the time is bad for your health. Beg Bugs are the most irritating annoying bugs ever! It's like a bunch of mosquitos biting you at night without you even realizing it. Also, the swells on your body show up a day later. I'm suing my landlord b/c she definetly knew about it and when I asked her before I signed my lease; she had told me no problems ever occured in this apartment. Never listen to your landlord! Silly me. I just bought all new furniture; it has to be thrown away because the beg bugs lay up to 200 eggs a day depending on how many there are. My bed frame, my mattress, dvd player, carpets,etc. Keep in mind that I spend so much money and I want it back. I also spend tons of money on doctor visits since I don't have insurance. I even took a blood test that cost me a fortune. It's ridiculous because not even 2 months i'm there and I had to move out. The area I live in, it seems to be very clean and one of the richest neighborhoods, but it can happen anywhere! Sad but true. I advise for everyone just to take a second look on what there are renting or buying in the future. And you know I got my apartment through a Realty. Not the newspaper. I had to pay commision as well. Tons of money wasted but a learning experience. And it will not end until I get all my money back. Thanks for listening!

Old 06-23-2006, 06:48 AM   #13
    carolinagirl
    (female)

carolinagirl HB User

Hey guys it's me! I moved back into my parents house and NO MORE BED BUG BITES! Sadly to say those were bed bug bites! Advice: Do not move into an apartment unless you know who previously moved out of there before you actually move in! Thanks all for listening! Bye

Old 06-27-2006, 09:24 AM   #14
    carolinagirl
    (female)

carolinagirl HB User

OKAY-SO I HEARD BED BUGS CAN TRANSMIT DISEASES LIKE HIV? NOW I'M JUST REALLY FREAKED OUT. WHAT TO DO?????????

Old 06-29-2006, 07:16 AM   #15
    nowhere-child
    (female)

nowhere-child HB User

Don't freak out about it. HIV is NOT easy to transmit. You are not going to get it from bed bugs.

Closed Thread