It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Open to All Other Health Topics Message Board

• Annoying mouth condition- lesions on tongue and inner checks

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-15-2006, 09:00 AM   #1
    wiseguy_75
    (male)

wiseguy_75 HB User
    Annoying mouth condition- lesions on tongue and inner checks

I've been dealing with this annoying mouth condition now for over 6 months. Some days are bad and some not so bad... but it just won't go away. I have not been able to figure out what causes it or why some days are worse than others. On the days it is worse or better I look back at what I did or ate to try and figure it out but it seems to happen without consistency.

It was worse in the winter, I guess because its more dry... I wake up in the morning and my mouth hurts that its so dry. I also often have an acidic or metal like taste in my mouth. I've been to a couple of doctors and have had several blood tests including HEP B and HIV (all neg) I was on Panteloc (for acid reflux) for a bit as the doc thought it might be the acid coming up into my mouth at night but it didn't change a thing. I try and stay away from alcohol or acidic fruits, etc.. although they don't seem to consistently effect me negatively.

I am seeing an oral pathologist in Aug and hopefully he will be able to help. But in the meantime i'm worried my liver or kidney's are weak or I have diabeties or cholesterol or a diseas or maybe even some sort of cancer or something.

I Just turned 34 a few days ago and I never smoked in my life and I go to the gym at least 4 times a week. I thought I was healthy

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-15-2006, 09:44 AM   #2
    carolinagirl
    (female)

carolinagirl HB User
    Re: Annoying mouth condition- lesions on tongue and inner checks

Hey, I wouldn't worry "so much" about it because technically you've gotten blood tests done and NOTHING is wrong with you. And hopefully nothing will be wrong with you. But I'm researching for you and maybe it could be Dry Mouth Syndrome. Here are the symptoms for that.Xerostomia can effect persons of any age, but it is much more prevalent in the elderly. It causes a wide range of problems including difficulty in swallowing (dysphagia), loss of the ability to taste (dysgeusia), difficulty in speaking, an increased rate of tooth decay, an inability to wear or retain dentures, and an increase in oral infections, especially yeast (thrush, caused by candida albicans). Well, maybe that sounds to severe and not what you have. Also I read that you can ask your detist for a "special gel" that you can place in your mouth and the gel helps maintain your mouths natural balance and stops dry mouths. The name of the gel is called "Oragel." Try it! I'm sorry if I couldn't help you but I hope everything works out for you. Take care of yourself =)

Old 06-19-2006, 05:10 AM   #3
    aswaer
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

aswaer HB Useraswaer HB User

I too have mouth lesions, but I've had them since I was a kid. Small canker sores that are NOT herpes, that develop inside my mouth. I know I spent at least 50% of my life with at least 1 in my mouth, and they hurt!

A few years ago I read that an ingredient in toothpaste (and shampoo), a foaming agent, called "sodium lauryl sulfate", can cause canker sores in some people. I had nothing to lose, so I went to Whole Foods and got a tube of SLS-free toothpaste. Immediately, the canker sores almost completley stopped. I think I"ve had 2 in the last year, instead of dozens.

I am now using JASON (strangely spelled J / A / S / O / N ) toothpastes because they are SLS-free but they do contain Flouride, which I feel is important as I live in a home that does not have public flourinated water.

You can find these JASON products in any health food store, large or small.

Old 06-19-2006, 05:52 AM   #4
    wiseguy_75
    (male)

wiseguy_75 HB User

Thanks ASWANDER! I have nothing to lose by trying it right? Although I am not sure if they have that exact one here in Canada but I will try and find some. I have also read what you mention about the toothepaste and SLS so I have been using this one that people recommended for "dry" mouth, its called biotene and my mouth has been better since I have been using this but none the less I will try and find the JASON brand and give it a try... and at the same time I will try and find some shampoo and maybe even some other products that are SLS free also.

Thanks again!

Closed Thread