It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Open to All Other Health Topics Message Board

• Dislocated finger?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-17-2006, 03:49 PM   #1
    canuck11

canuck11 HB User
    Dislocated finger?

My friend was throwing a ball towards me and when I was about to catch it, the ball hit the tip of my pinky finger. I felt pain and noticed the middle joint appeared to be raised, protruding, bone protruding, lump. I wiggled it and it went back down, slight click. This happened last night. I have pain, bruising, swelling to the finger. I put ice on it, raised my hand, taking Advil. So far my finger is staying in place, nothing popping up. So even though it is back in place should I still see a doctor? What could they do for me even though the bone appears back in place? Would they just buddy tape it or leave it? Thank you for your help.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-18-2006, 07:22 AM   #2
    dutch-ny
    (male)

dutch-ny HB User
    Re: Dislocated finger?

You do not need a doctor you have done it all. You did everything perfect!!!!!!

Old 06-18-2006, 07:38 AM   #3
    feelbad
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User
    Re: Dislocated finger?

you do need to see a doc and yes they might either buddy tape it or splint it individually.but it does need an x ray at the very least.i did this to like all my fingers at some point just playing softball for thirteen years.i really never went to the doc for any of them and basically did what you are,I had a ready stash of popsicle sticks on hand just for this purpose(it really was happening like allthe time.i was very accident prone as a child and teen).but being much older now,and feeling how my fingers actually feel now that the old age thing has set in,I really would encourage a trip to your doc just to make sure evrything is really okay.

just to let you know tho,it is possible to cause some level of tendon and ligament damage when you take a hit to the finger tip like that?i did this a few years ago when I fell and had placed my hand underneath me to help cushion that fall but had my fingers outstretched at the time and came down finger first with my middle finger and this actually blew the ligments out on both sides.this was kind of a nightmare to deal with mostly because the idiot ortho that I was sent to actually told me,without actually touching the finger or really doing anything but slap a cast on my entire hand,that it was "just tendon damage" this caused a whole set of other problems because of thecast being on when I shouldhave been having PT on it.

just be careful of anything you do now as it will come back to haunt you in the form of arthritis much later down the road,believe me,it sucks.good luck hopefully it is nothing major.let me know how things go.**

Closed Thread