It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Open to All Other Health Topics Message Board

• Anybody know what this tongue thing is?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-10-2006, 09:31 AM   #1
    Loque
    (male)

Loque HB User
    Anybody know what this tongue thing is?

This recurring thing has had me stumped for months.

I'm 19 and I've never had it before, and I burnt my tongue on pizza. I got this bald patch on the side of my tongue, which then healed and went away, and I just forgot about it.

Then it came back. In exactly the same place. I went to the docs who said it was an ulcer, the reason it came back was cause it hadn't gone away, so she gave me this slime to put on it called Adcortyl. Didn't really affect the lesion but it went away anyway.

When it came back a third time I was getting worried so I went back and they took a swab and sent it to the lab for testing, came back negative. I'll just describe the symptoms properly.. a bald patch on my tongue, often with a white ring around it (sounds fungal- but obviously it's not), and sometimes a tiny but of bleeding. It's not painful at all, on the contrary it is sort of numb. The centre with no taste buds is smooth and peachy pink.

So I decided my doctor was wrong and that it's not an ulcer, I started doing some research and I'm near convinced now that I have Benign Migratory Glossitis, something which is apparantly easy to diagnose.. so my doc must be stupid. There's no known cause or cure, and like the name suggests, benign and not contageous. I don't think.

So this is the 9th or 10th time I've had it, I'm not convinced its Benign Migratory GLossitis because it doesn't migrate, I get it in exactly the same place each time. If anyone has any idea what this is or how to get rid of it, I'll be very thankful..

Last edited by moderator2; 08-10-2006 at 07:20 PM. Reason: do not post pictures for any reason as per the posting rules and the membership agreement

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-10-2006, 07:44 PM   #2
    Belle2003
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Belle2003 HB User
    Re: Anybody know what this tongue thing is?

Doctors make mistakes just like everyone else. I would suggest you going to an ear, nose and throat doctor. Even your dentist might know what this is. Whatever you do, get a second opinion. You can bring the literature with you about what you suspect it might be.

Old 08-10-2006, 08:14 PM   #3
    srak34
    (female)

srak34 HB User

I agree with Belle

Old 08-12-2006, 12:24 PM   #4
    quincy
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

quincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB User

Hi...look up geographic tongue and see if yours matches. I have it, and it really bothered me for a few years. I do have sensitivities to some things (where it reacts), but mostly...it's been non-bothersome.

One thing...keep your fingers out of your mouth as much as possible. Once your tongue starts to react, it will continue to do so. It needed the trigger...burning from the pizza, and now you have to try and keep the reactions to a minimum.

Oh, just to add that some toothpastes and even gum can perpetuate the reactions....you might have to do some experimenting to find products that will be more benign.

quincy

Closed Thread