It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Open to All Other Health Topics Message Board

• unexplained symptoms/scared

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-22-2006, 08:14 PM   #1
    mullato29
    (female)

mullato29 HB User
    Unhappy is it heart disease

I just want to describe some of these symptoms Im having with the hopes that someone has some idea of what I am talking about. I search online and get no hits with my search words. My trips to the emergency room have turned up nothing as well, but I know something is wrong.

First I have irregular heartbeats. Sometimes I can feel y heart beating funny, it has fluttered, or sometimes it feels like Im being punched in the chest..symotainiously I feel like Somebody hits me in the forhead with a blunt object. I have nagging sharp pains in my shoulder blade area( always the right side). A metallic taste in my mouth. And lately a feeling like blockage in my nose and pressure in my head. Its pretty svcary stuff. My blood test say my cholesterol is low ( 166) tryglicerides and all that are good. Blood sugar is low. However I am overweight right now, my weight has always yo-yo'ed. But i do eat a well balanced diet with the recomended amount of fruits and vegetables. I dont get the excersise I need though.

I am uninsured and dont have a doctor but when the symptoms get really scary i go to the emergency room. Ive been told Im ok. The last time they said " it's your nerves" and prescribed valium. I really dont think so. I told them I was still nursing so they took the prescription back and said take an antihistamine or sleeping pill. I havent done that because I think they're mistaking or dot have the time to thoroughly check an uninsured person.

Does anybody recognize any of these symptoms or have any ideas. Please Help!!!

As women we are always told to be on the lookout for heart disease, but when doctors say nothings wrong..and you know there is..what next.
    What could it be. And might there be other explainations?

Last edited by mullato29; 08-23-2006 at 01:34 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-24-2006, 11:47 AM   #2
    6foot3
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

6foot3 HB User
    Re: unexplained symptoms/scared

Mullato....It just sounds like anxiety or panic attack.Your blood numbers are good but you may want to try magnesium (palpitations) and fish oils (sudden cardiac arrest) as these are good for the heart....

Old 08-25-2006, 07:22 AM   #3
    aswaer
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

aswaer HB Useraswaer HB User
    Re: unexplained symptoms/scared

Sounds like acid reflux to me. Probably falls into the category "laryngopharyngeal reflux". You have the metallic taste in the mouth (which is acid refluxing into the throat), the blockage in the nose and pressure (caused by acid causing erosions in the nasal passages and sinuses - your body produces excess mucous in response to it and clogs it up), and the fluttering in the shoulder (people with acid reflux frequently get strange fluttering/pains in the upper chest, upper arms, shoulders) and the classic feeling like you've been punched in the breastbone (where the stomach meets the esophogous and reflux starts).

The reason why the yahoos at the ER missed it is that you don't have heartburn (which is the painful feeling in the center of the breastbone caused by acid refluxing into the esophogous). But not everyone gets heartburn - and instead, you experience a sore sensation, of being "punched". Well, it's just a variation of heartburn. Your ER docs should be hung for being so stupid. Your symptoms speak for themselves and anyone who calls themselves a doctor should be able to recognize soreness at the lower esophogeal junction as acid reflux disease. Perhaps the upper respiratory/laryngeal symptoms threw them off.

You need to get yourself to a gastroenterologist, though a primary care physician is also capabable of treating acid reflux disease.

You will need 1 or 2 doses a day of a prescription proton pump inhibitor (PPI). I say 1 or 2 doses, because people whose pain is limited to heartburn usually respond to 1 dose, but people with the upper respiratory/larygeal symptoms need 2 doses. So you may need to experiment.

You will be able to take any of the following:
    40 mg capsule Nexium
    40 mg capsule Prilosec'
    40 mg capsule Zegerid
    20 mg capsule Aciphex
    30 mg capsule Prevacid
    40 mg capsule Protonix

You may need to experiment with multiple PPIs in order to find the one that works best for you.

And the place that you should post from now on is the acid reflux message board.

Old 08-26-2006, 09:41 PM   #4
    luvnmycoastie
    (female)

luvnmycoastie HB User
    Re: is it heart disease

I have had this issue for years. My blood numbers are fine and I'm in decent health. All my doctors have told me its anxiety/panic. Which coincedently thats what I have been diagnosed with, and since I have worked on making myself better, I don't have issues with it as much. And as the previous post said it could be reflux. My daughters babysitter had an episode where she had an irregular heartbeat, etc. she went to the dr, he did tests and concluded that it was reflux. sometimes you really have to nag your doctors to get what you think it is done.

Closed Thread