It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Open to All Other Health Topics Message Board

• 22 and fast heart rate

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-21-2006, 10:50 PM   #1
    briannajo
    (female)

briannajo HB User
    22 and fast heart rate

I am 22 years old and cannot explain my abnormally fast heart rate. I wore a heart monitor last summer and randomly during the night my heart rate sped to over 170 beats/min for over 10 minutes. For no apparent reason during the day my heart will speed up and I will almost have to sit down to calm myself. It takes my breath away. Everytime I go to the doctor (for a check-up) the doctor asks if I have had lots of caffeine, even though I have had none.I went to the doctor and performed a stress test (ran on a treadmill) but they found nothing. A heart echo was also taken showing nothing. I have no record of abnormal blood pressure but feel heart palpitations almost daily. The doctor prescribed me a medication that, when I took it, increased my heart palpitations so I stopped taking them. I have tremendous history of heart disease in my family which adds to the worry. I would go back to the doctor but was basically ignored the last time I went so I want more information before I go back to make sure I am taken seriously.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-22-2006, 02:42 PM   #2
    pantherwrestler
    Inactive
    (male)

pantherwrestler HB User
    Re: 22 and fast heart rate

Tell your doctor its still happen. Ask your regular doctor for a referral to a cardiologist (heart doctor) and get a full examination done.

Old 11-22-2006, 05:29 PM   #3
    Aquaticgirl
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Aquaticgirl HB User

Go to a cardiologist. Immediately. This is serious.

I am not a doctor but this sounds to me like Sleep Apnea. Ask about that.

Feel better soon!!!!!!!!! Best wishes,
    Victoria

Old 11-22-2006, 06:55 PM   #4
    BioAdoptMom3
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

BioAdoptMom3 HB User

Have they checked your thyroid? It sounds like it could be overactive thyroid. Both of those are symptoms.

Nancy

Old 11-22-2006, 08:56 PM   #5
    CTmom
    (female)

CTmom HB User

Please see a cardiologist. Your monitor should not show 10 minute runs of 170 beats per minute if you are not exercising.

I have suffered from bouts of fast heartrate for almost 30 years (beginning at age 12). There are tons of causes for this. I agree it would be good to have your thyroid levels checked - when I was hyperthyroid my heart rates went crazy. When mine goes fast it is for longer than 10 minutes so I go the ER where it is documented and then controlled with medication. I have an electrical problem with my heart. Most can be fixed with a simple procedure but mine is more complicated so I have learned to live with it. It sounds like you already had a monitor of some type. That information should help the doctors figure out what is going on.

If your bouts are very short-lived and they decide they're not dangerous it may be best just to live with them, but you need to find out what is going on for sure. Also, there are lots of different medications to try. They probably gave you a beta blocker of some sort which is usually the first thing they try. Did nothing for me. I was also on a diuretic which didn't help. Eventually they tried a calcium channel blocker which worked like magic. As long as I take that pill everyday I stay out of the emergency room - and have for about 20 years. (Unfortunately the problem recurs when I stop the medication.) Anyway - be persistent. When you find out exactly what your diagnosis is that will be a big help in figuring out how to deal with it. Good luck and don't give up!

Old 11-24-2006, 08:48 AM   #6
    curiousforever
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

curiousforever HB User

Mine would spike up to the 160's.

The cardiologist prescribed toprol xl. I take one daily and you can't believe the difference in how I feel....I can tell if I forgot to take it cause of how my heart behaves.

Sometimes there is no reason they can find for it happening...but just cause one med didn't work ----there are others out there.

The cardiologist actually called me and said get this medicine NOW...so I have to assume it's somewhat serious.

Old 11-24-2006, 09:37 AM   #7
    bigcaat
    (female)

bigcaat HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by briannajo
    I am 22 years old and cannot explain my abnormally fast heart rate. I want more information before I go back to make sure I am taken seriously.
    Hi Brianna.

Your post sounds like it was written by me. (Except for the 22 year old part. ) Although, I probably have had palpitations since I was your age and, like you, was never taken seriously about it. After all, we're just "hysterical females" - don't cha' know?

I went to a cardiologist, I went through all of the tests, just like you, and -- just like you -- they found no arrhythmia and nothing clearly "abnormal." What he diagnosed was "sinus tachycardia." When I look it up online it's referred to as "Inappropriate Sinus Tachycardia."

The frustrating thing about it is that nobody seems to know what causes it, and -- nobody seems to care enough to want to find out. The way it was explained to me is that it is an 'electrical disturbance' in the sinus node of the heart, but with no clear cause or resolution.

I am on beta-blockers (Kerlone) which works, but I absolutely hate taking it. I want to know why I have this and what alternatives to prescription drugs there are, if any. But again, many docs just want to whip out the prescription pad and be done with you.

I, now, have a renewed interest in this as I have just been diagnosed with Secondary Addison's Disease and am now questioning whether or not the Addison's could have anything to do with the Sinus Tach. I now know, for a fact, that it is possible that it caused my low thyroid, which makes me wonder how many other of these mysterious things I have are caused by it.

How does this affect you, you ask? Well, I'm not saying you should look to see if you have Addison's -- that's a very rare disease, but I just mention it because I'm beginning to wonder if all of this is a problem with hormones.

As I said, I remember complaining about palpitations when I was very young. Well, Addison's is a hormone problem, and the way I discovered it was by going to a woman who was experienced in bio-identical hormones. After hearing about my history with regard to my cycle and such, the one thing she said to me was, "you must not even know what it's like to have ever felt normal."

So, bottom line, you need to be self-directed and a pest. You're doing your own research, that's great. Look up sinus tachycardia and see if it fits your description. Find a good cardiologist (I hated the guy I went to, but I live in a very small town with few options,) who at least can diagnose this and get it under control. Then, consider your alternatives about other things that might be possibly causing this. Because a doc is not going to do that for you, it seems. We have to be self-directed in this.

Anyway, I hope this helps. And I hope you find some answers soon.

Best,
    Caat

Closed Thread