It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Open to All Other Health Topics Message Board

• 24 and about to have a Tonsillectomy-HELP

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-25-2006, 11:51 AM   #1
    I'M_so_scared
    (female)

I'M_so_scared HB User
    24 and about to have a Tonsillectomy-HELP

Hey guys,
    I am new to this board so I will first introduce myself. My name is Christy and I am 24 years old. I work at the hospital here in my town. I currently live in Goldsboro, NC. Now the scary stuff, I am about to undergo a tonsillectomy in 12 days from today. I am so scared I dont know what to do, especially after all I have read on this board. Now I am almost thinking about cancelling it b/c I dont have a very high tolerance for pain. But I have had tonsil stones for the past 8 years and am consantly on a day to day basis haveing to dig food particles out. I get sore throats about once avery 2 months and strep about 4-5 times a year. My question is- Is this surgery worth all this pain? How long will I be in pain for? How long should I take off of work? PLEASE SOMEBODY HELP!!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-25-2006, 09:48 PM   #2
    aussie_jono
    Inactive
    (male)

aussie_jono HB User
    Re: 24 and about to have a Tonsillectomy-HELP

Start taking a multivitamin, a zinc supplement (25mg) and a vitamin c supplement (250mg) every day with food right away, they speed healing quite considerably

Buy some benzocain lozonges (Cepacol or any other brand), these will numb the throat quite effectively after your surgery.

Ask your doctor about post operative analgesia - you dont need to put up with pain, modern analgesics can effectively releive it.

Old 11-26-2006, 07:49 AM   #3
    butrfligirl28
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

butrfligirl28 HB Userbutrfligirl28 HB User

Talk to your doctor about pain control. It sounds like you need the operation, so don't back out. I had mine out when I was 20. I am not going to lie to you, it is very painful. I would suggest that they keep you overnight for pain control, and for any nausea you may experience. Also, make sure you get a liquid pain med. I took demerol, and I believe you need something that strong. I have heard of people doing it with liquid Lortab, which is much weaker. I would not have it done with Lortab. Talk with your doctor about your concerns, and make sure they will work with you. I wish you all the best!

Old 11-26-2006, 02:27 PM   #4
    I'M_so_scared
    (female)

I'M_so_scared HB User

Thanks guys for all your help. anyone else have any suggestions?

Old 11-26-2006, 07:56 PM   #5
    aussie_jono
    Inactive
    (male)

aussie_jono HB User

Dont worry about the pain - modern analgesics can deal with it.

for postoperative pain, NSAID's provide very good releif, especialy when combined with an opoid (ie, ibuprofen +/- Vicodin, Lortab, tylenol with Codeine)

Make sure to have some Benzocaine lozonges on hand!

Old 11-26-2006, 07:56 PM   #6
    aussie_jono
    Inactive
    (male)

aussie_jono HB User

Dont worry about the pain - modern analgesics can deal with it.

for postoperative pain, NSAID's provide very good releif, especialy when combined with an opoid (ie, ibuprofen +/- Vicodin, Lortab, tylenol with Codeine)

Make sure to have some Benzocaine lozonges on hand!

Old 11-27-2006, 06:54 AM   #7
    butrfligirl28
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

butrfligirl28 HB Userbutrfligirl28 HB User

You cannot take NSAID's after a tonsillectomy, because of the risk of bleeding. Please do not take any medication unless it is approved by your doctor....it could be very dangerous. Also, they are going to tell you to drink as much water as possible. This is going to be painful, but worth it. You will notice the difference if you don't drink. The dryness is ten times as painful. So drink as much as you can, very often to keep your throat moistened. Ask before you use sprays or lozenges. I am not sure if you can do this after the surgery, or if it's a no no.

Amanda

Old 11-28-2006, 01:19 PM   #8
    I'M_so_scared
    (female)

I'M_so_scared HB User

Ok guys, Call me a baby but I have decided not to go through with the tonsillectomy right now. I am just too freaked out right now. I know I will eventuoully probably have no choice but to have them out. I have already cancelled the surgery and everything. Maybe after the holidays are over I will get brave. Somebody help me to overcome this terrible fear PLEASE

Old 11-28-2006, 01:24 PM   #9
    I'M_so_scared
    (female)

I'M_so_scared HB User

Ok guys, Call me a baby but I have decided not to go through with the tonsillectomy. I am just too freaked out right now. I have already cancelled the surgery and everything. Maybe after the holidays I will get brave, b/c I know I prabably will have no choice but to get them out. Somebody please help me to overcome this fear. PLEASE

Old 11-29-2006, 07:10 AM   #10
    Mom22greatkids
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Mom22greatkids HB User

You will not regret it! You will have a short amount of time with pain but you will save yourself a lifetime of troubles. Like one of the other posters mentioned, drink lots and lots of water. The more you drink the better you will feel. I liked it really really cold so it numbed my throat. I was up and feeling better by day 4 and even better by day 5. I contribute it to keeping hydrated. It helps a lot. I got really sick on the pain med so I switched to liquid Tylenol. I felt so much better after I stopped the pain med. You might want to get some of the liquid Tylenol to keep on hand just in case. By the way, I had mine out at age 36.

Old 12-02-2006, 06:24 AM   #11
    I'M_so_scared
    (female)

I'M_so_scared HB User

Can someone tell me the best pain medicine I should ask my doctor to prescribe?

Old 12-02-2006, 07:08 AM   #12
    Titchou
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

Whatever has worked well for you before. I always ask for Lortab as that works best for me. Also, be sure to get the numbing gel type gargle. It helped mroe than the pills.

Old 12-02-2006, 01:13 PM   #13
    huffnpuff
    (female)

huffnpuff HB User

It's probably best to wait until after the holidays anyway, because you will not be up to par for the first four or five days. Recovery comes quickly, day by day. Just have very soft foods (jello, puddings, etc.) for the week or so following, your doctor will probably check you out in a week or so afterwards. You'll have other questions to ask him then. Prior to your surgery, ask what he will be giving you for pain, and have all that settled prior to the surgery. I had mine out at age 30 because I was tired of sore throats, ear problems, and just generally not feelng well. I was never ever sorry I went through it. Good luck to you.

Last edited by huffnpuff; 12-02-2006 at 01:14 PM.

Old 12-02-2006, 01:54 PM   #14
    Misty800
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Misty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB User

Others have given you good advice. However, I would like to warn you about taking "zinc". Zinc can cause a person to lose the ability to smell.

My daughter used Cold-Eeze Lozenges during a viral sinus infection and it caused the loss of smell. It has been 6 months and her ability to smell has not returned. My search indicates the loss of smell can last for a few months, few years, or permanent. There are currently lawsuits against the mfgr for Cold-Eeze Lozenges and Cold-Eeze Nasal Spray. Most likely oral zinc can/will do the same. It is certainly something to think about.

Too much Vitamin C can cause more bleeding, do not over do it. Best to check with your doctor what you can and cannot take between now and surgery. Many times we have to stop taking some meds 2 weeks before surgery. Aspirin is not to be taken 2 weeks before surgery.

It sounds like you definitely need the surgery. Many of us survived the ordeal and you will too. Best to get it taken care of now before you get any older. Surgery is not as hard on a healthy younger person.

Have your freezer stocked full of ice cream and popsicles, lots of smooth type canned soups, the smoother the better, or you can put soups in a blender and make smooth.

Years ago when I was working and had my tonsils out I was off work 1 week, went back to work half days for another week. I was 19 at the time. These days the meds used to put you to sleep are not as harsh as in the past, does not take as long to recuperate.

Old 12-03-2006, 10:41 AM   #15
    I'M_so_scared
    (female)

I'M_so_scared HB User

Misty800, huffnpuff, and titchou Thank u so mich for your help and words of encouragement. I will get through this some how.
    Christy

Closed Thread