It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Open to All Other Health Topics Message Board

• undiagnosed and alone! Dizziness most prominent symptom now

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-21-2007, 07:42 PM   #1
    shesson
    (female)

shesson HB User
    undiagnosed and alone! Dizziness most prominent symptom now

I have had vertigo for 6 months now. Also dizziness or incoordination (I just feel drunk!!!). My ears ring and hearing seems to come and go. Hands tingle, go numb, or feel cold at odd times. My heart pounds when I'm just sitting still, and I get stabbing pains in my temple or the back of my head every once in a while. They only last for a few seconds, but occur on a daily basis.
    Now for the past history. Between age 1-2 I started to complain of leg pain(not in the joint). Drs over the years have insisted it is "growing pains". Well, I am now 33yrs, and still in pain. Sometimes I will go a couple of weeks pain-free, but when it hits it feels like it's in the bone! I cheered and rode horses for years, so I know what muscle pain is like. This is not it!!! I used to think it flared when it rained, but now it doesn't seem to correspond to anything in particular. OTC meds do nothing for it, but I do not want to start prescribed meds just yet either. At age 10 and 11, I was hospitalized with severe bowel blockages that were never explained. I went months with no bowel movements (and obviously didn't eat after a time). About 8 years ago, I went "blind" for 3 days. It started as just blurriness, but progressed to black areas. Eyesight returned after 3 days, only to relapse a week or two later (for 2 days again). All kinds of tests ran then. Everything but a spinal tap. Neuro at the time mentioned MS possibly, but when my eyesight returned to normal, he canceled the Spinal tap and said don't worry till something else happens.
    I am now without insurance and am being seen at a clinic that has a sliding scale fee. Unfortunately, it is the only one in my area. I have 2 children , both very young, and am afraid to care for them alone because of the dizziness. I can't get my doctor to take me seriously. He has even said the vertigo and dizziness could be "just in my head". He finally did do a head CT with contrast. However, results came back normal, so this did not help my case with him. Not sure what to do now, or how to approach him so he'll take me seriously!!!! I am not even looking to be "fixed". I just want to know that I'm not crazy. Could this be MS? Any other ideas? Any advice would be welcome!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-22-2007, 01:00 AM   #2
    mmoss
    (female)

mmoss HB User
    Re: undiagnosed and alone! Dizziness most prominent symptom now

Know this may sound crazy, but have you had your hormones checked? They can do some weird things!

Old 01-22-2007, 06:19 AM   #3
    Leela_C
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Leela_C HB User

Hi Shesson! I have the SAME symptoms as you, but not the history that you have. I have had "dizziness" for 4 years now and it is still undiagnosed. I also have the heart palpitations and my heart rate is VERY irregular. I have had all the neuro and cardio tests and no one kind find out what is wrong. I have also seen two therapists and neither of those believed everything was all "in my head". I can't really help you, but I just wanted to let you know that you're not alone. I do believe what the previous poster said about hormones, and I am going to a doctor that specializes in hormones next week. I have also been doing a lot of reading about Migraine Associated Vertigo, but that would not explain my heart symptoms. Although, hormones can cause migraines, so maybe that is the root cause. I do have horrible anxiety because of all of this and not the other way around. Like you, I just want a diagnosis, but I would also like some relief from this. I feel like I can't even enjoy life anymore. I'm either too lightheaded, or too worried about my heart.

I am actually going for a spinal tap Thursday, but I'm sure it will be normal, just like every other test. I will keep you posted. I'm around on these boards a lot. Usually in the heart and anxiety forums.

I hope you feel better soon!

LeeAnn

Old 01-22-2007, 07:25 AM   #4
    shesson
    (female)

shesson HB User

Good to know there are others out there! I have developed anxiety also. My Dr tried to tell me that's what was causing all this, but the symptoms came way before the anxiety. I am on Buspar now, so the anxiety is one less problem to deal with. I am just frustrated that everyone thinks it's no big deal. It is to me, and I think that is the important thing! I don't think I'm going to die necessarily, but how do they know?!? Last Friday I spent all afternoon and evening in the ER because I felt drunk and my heart would pound for no reason. My thinking was that I was not going to let this go anymore. I wanted answers, and who better to try and give them to me than a hospital? After several hours, I was told they could not do any tests, that I need to see my primary Dr to figure this out. ER doc actually said this was not an emergency! They did not even listen to my heart. The only person to touch me was a nurse who took my blood pressure. It was 148/89, which is extremely high for me. I usually have very low BP. 148/89 qualifies as stage I hypertension, but no one said a word to me. I could have been having a stroke for all they knew. I told him I needed answers, and where should I go to get them? Could he help me find a Dr that could try to find out what's going on?. He said that wasn't his problem, and if I didn't leave they would call security and have me removed!!!! I was mortified. I am not a violent person. I have a hard time even speaking up for myself. You can imagine what this did for my confidence. I know not all Drs are like that, but I seem to get the ones that are. I just feel like they think you can't have quality care because you don't have insurance. I know this is stereotyping, but I really did not have a problem getting a Dr to believe me until I lost my insurance.
    Anyway, that's my grief for the day. I feel better just getting it off my chest.
    Thanks for "listening".

Old 01-22-2007, 09:14 AM   #5
    Leela_C
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Leela_C HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by shesson View Post
    Good to know there are others out there! I have developed anxiety also. My Dr tried to tell me that's what was causing all this, but the symptoms came way before the anxiety.
    I have had plenty of doctors tell me the same thing, but like I said, my two therapists disagreed. I take xanax just to deal with all of this, but it doesn't help my symptoms.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by shesson View Post
    I just feel like they think you can't have quality care because you don't have insurance. I know this is stereotyping, but I really did not have a problem getting a Dr to believe me until I lost my insurance.
    I'm sure you have some more issues without insurance, but I do have insurance and my docs don't believe me either. They all just think I'm nuts.

You are definitely not alone, though! I'm just sorry you have to go through this too!

Old 01-22-2007, 07:16 PM   #6
    DX-
    (female)

DX- HB User

Shesson and Leela,

It seems like you have similar symptoms -- and both of you are undiagnosed. I agree with mmoss that your problems may be related to hormones, so that's one possibility -- ask to be referred to an endocrinologist.

When you go, make sure to take copies of your records and any test results. Since you have symptoms that are strange, and occur on a regular basis, I would also keep a journal. It should contain everything you eat, every activity you do, and what symptom occurs when. You may begin to see patterns yourselves.

Also -- for both of you -- when you visit a doctor who treats you less than respectfully, that means you need to stand up for yourselves! That doesn't mean lose your temper -- but it does mean, calmly, asking them to be respectful. If any doctor treats you less, then look to reporting them to the local medical society.

If either of you thinks MS is a possibility -- and you want to learn some more, link here: [url]www.diagKNOWsis.org/healthboards.htm[/url] Please note -- MS is treated by neurologists -- not endocrinologists -- but you should prepare for your visits in just the same way: records, test results and journals.

Best of luck to you both....

Old 01-23-2007, 03:58 AM   #7
    VeeJ
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

VeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB User

Hi, Sheeson, As a teenager, I had long-lasting leg pain, located in shins, not joints; my doctors called it "growing pains". With it: fever, elevated sed rate, headaches, and abnormal WBC. Then, over the decades came joint pain, abnormal periods, irritable bowel & bladder, migraines, tingling sensations, episodes of irregular heartbeat & dizziness, fevers, hair loss, anemia, weakness and fatigue, rashes, ETC. I suspected MS, but it turned out that I had a milder form of lupus. Have your doctors (& you) considered the autoimmunes in that ballpark? Good luck! Vee

Last edited by VeeJ; 01-23-2007 at 04:02 AM. Reason: forgot phrase GROWING PAINS

Closed Thread