It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Open to All Other Health Topics Message Board

• Nerve pain....What causes it?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-23-2007, 02:19 PM   #1
    Jade001
    (female)

Jade001 HB User
    Nerve pain....What causes it?

If one has nerve pain off and on in different places, does that mean that something seriously is wrong?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-24-2007, 01:53 PM   #2
    ozzybug
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

ozzybug HB Userozzybug HB Userozzybug HB Userozzybug HB User
    Re: Nerve pain....What causes it?

Hey Jade-
    Nerve pain isn't necessarily indication of something serious going on. Nerve pain can be caused by damage to the nerve from surgery, a laceration, some sort of illness or some kind of force caused by falling, being hit, etc. There are many things that can cause nerve damage. Yes, there are some "terminal" illnesses that do cause nerve damage/pain, but you would need to speak with your doctor about that.

I have nerve damage caused by surgery, and although I have chronic pain issues from the saphenous neuropathy, it's not considered serious as in "life threatening". It's serious to me in that it's caused a chronic pain condition that I'll live with forever, but it certainly won't kill me.

You didn't say, but are you the one having pain, or is it someone you know? More details might help us to give you a bit more insight. I'm sorry if I've not really helped you. Keep checking back, and if you are able, please give more details.

Take care!

Old 02-24-2007, 02:23 PM   #3
    Jade001
    (female)

Jade001 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ozzybug View Post
    Hey Jade-
    Nerve pain isn't necessarily indication of something serious going on. Nerve pain can be caused by damage to the nerve from surgery, a laceration, some sort of illness or some kind of force caused by falling, being hit, etc. There are many things that can cause nerve damage. Yes, there are some "terminal" illnesses that do cause nerve damage/pain, but you would need to speak with your doctor about that.

I have nerve damage caused by surgery, and although I have chronic pain issues from the saphenous neuropathy, it's not considered serious as in "life threatening". It's serious to me in that it's caused a chronic pain condition that I'll live with forever, but it certainly won't kill me.

You didn't say, but are you the one having pain, or is it someone you know? More details might help us to give you a bit more insight. I'm sorry if I've not really helped you. Keep checking back, and if you are able, please give more details.

Take care!
    I have chronic low back pain and have for years, I do suffer from sciatic pain form time to time and it is usually on my left side. This started yesterday and it is on my right side now and it has hurt like nobody's business! It has calmed down, although the pain is still there, but now my legs ache. I thought maybe it was flu symptoms coming on, but mostly the aching is from the waste down. I don't know, after nerve pain sends you to the roof almost, does it give an aching feeling or does it just subside and eventually go away? I'm thinking that allergies may have something to do with the achiness, but, don't know.

Old 02-25-2007, 08:21 AM   #4
    feelbad
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

have you ever had an actual MRI or even an x ray done on your low back at any time?i think just seeing your primary for now and obtaining a simple x ray of your low back would be a good place to start.what you described sounds very much like pain caused by nerve inflammation and or compression.if you have a history of sciatica,chances are there is something,perhaps a disc problem,that is out of whack in your lower back area.

an x ray wont show down to the nerve/cord level but it is usually a good place to begin looking since it really does show bone and discs really well,and could indicate a possible herniation going on somewhere down there.then moving onto MRI would probably be the next best step.you need to start looking somewhere for the problem/source.the symptoms you have described and the location really DO sound typical of a possible disc/nerve issue going on.just get this evaluated by your primary and they will go from there.please keep us posted on how things are going for you,K? good luck,**

Old 02-25-2007, 02:04 PM   #5
    Jade001
    (female)

Jade001 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by feelbad View Post
    have you ever had an actual MRI or even an x ray done on your low back at any time?i think just seeing your primary for now and obtaining a simple x ray of your low back would be a good place to start.what you described sounds very much like pain caused by nerve inflammation and or compression.if you have a history of sciatica,chances are there is something,perhaps a disc problem,that is out of whack in your lower back area.

an x ray wont show down to the nerve/cord level but it is usually a good place to begin looking since it really does show bone and discs really well,and could indicate a possible herniation going on somewhere down there.then moving onto MRI would probably be the next best step.you need to start looking somewhere for the problem/source.the symptoms you have described and the location really DO sound typical of a possible disc/nerve issue going on.just get this evaluated by your primary and they will go from there.please keep us posted on how things are going for you,K? good luck,**
    I had an xray done about a year or so ago and he said that it didn't look bad that I have some petrusion and arthritis and then I had an xray done of the neck and I have a bulging disk in the neck..and a couple in that area of the upper spine. I was never told to really do anything about it though.

Closed Thread