It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Open to All Other Health Topics Message Board

• Sprained Ankle

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-01-2007, 05:18 PM   #1
    crazygurl_256
    (female)

crazygurl_256 HB User
    Sprained Ankle

Okay well in November of 2006 I sprained my ankle, almost immediatly did it begin to bruise and swell to a very large point...the doctors said they didnt find anything wrong with me just a sprain so we went back a week later to a different hospital because bruising had become worse they said it was just a sprain as well, its been almost 4 months since i sprained and i have permanent bruising and its still swollen when i walk, and i cant put heavy pressure on it, someone help me out because i dont know what to do!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-01-2007, 05:44 PM   #2
    ozzybug
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

ozzybug HB Userozzybug HB Userozzybug HB Userozzybug HB User
    Re: Sprained Ankle

Crazygurl-
    It's not uncommon for a sprain to take a very long time to heal. They usually take even longer than a broken bone to heal. Believe it or not, it's actually better to break a bone than sprain something as far as healing goes.

Broken bones, when they heal, actually heal back stronger in normal, healthy people. A sprain on the other hand, basically can weaken that area and cause that area to become suseptible to future sprains. Sounds strange, but that's what the doctor told me when my daughter sprained her ankle and was still having problems several months later.

To this day, she has had problems with her ankle giving out on her while simply walking along, and it happens more often when she is going down stairs. She has also re-sprained that ankle since then because it gave out. It's been over a year, and from time to time, she will get swelling, bruising and pain in the ankle and has to use an ankle brace on a regular basis.

Did any of the doctors not tell you about this? Did they tell you that after having a sprained ankle it's a good idea to wear a good ankle support any time you will be doing any kind of running, jogging, walking long distances or strenous sporting activities?

I do hope your ankle will settle down soon, but please do go and get a good ankle brace/support to have around. Take care!

Closed Thread