It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Open to All Other Health Topics Message Board

• Anyone been diagnosed with adrenal fatigue/unsufficiency?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-15-2007, 05:58 PM   #1
    wmjsease
    (female)

wmjsease HB User
    Anyone been diagnosed with adrenal fatigue/unsufficiency?

I was just diagnosed through a hair analysis with adrenal fatigue, high copper level, and a high aluminum level. I was put on 7 different supplements 3 times daily to try to draw the extra levels out, and level me out. Has anyone else had this? I have had extreme lightheadedness, fatigue, pressure/squeezing type headaches, and some other symptoms. I have been tested for lyme, had mri's, mra's, cerebral angiogram, heart tests, etc, and all were negative. All of my doctors have no clue what it is. I was diagnosed with this through a highly recommended nutritionist. Any thoughts?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-20-2007, 06:39 AM   #2
    NY 1009
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

NY 1009 HB UserNY 1009 HB UserNY 1009 HB User
    Re: Anyone been diagnosed with adrenal fatigue/unsufficiency?

wmj,
    what sent you to this nutritionist? when did you decide to see him? after you had seen other doctors and they couldn't come up with a diagnosis?
    what symtoms did you initially have to send you to the doctor?
    I'm sure you did some research on adrenal fatique but just in case you didn't, this is one of the many pages of info they have on it.
    History:

Older children and adults also may have a history of infectious illness, particularly TB or meningococcemia, although any type of severe sepsis may trigger adrenal insufficiency. The condition may be seen without concomitant illnesses when it is due to CAH or AHC.

Autoimmune adrenal insufficiency or adrenal insufficiency due to adrenoleukodystrophy (Online Mendelian Inheritance in Man [OMIM] *300100), chronic infections (eg, HIV, TB, fungi) or infiltrative lesions generally present with chronic symptoms (eg, fatigue, anorexia, abdominal pain), which may be exacerbated by an acute adrenal crisis.
    Patients with chronic adrenal insufficiency usually complain of chronic fatigue, anorexia, nausea, vomiting, loss of appetite, weight loss, recurring abdominal pain, and lack of energy.
    Symptoms of hypoglycemia are common in small children. Altered mental status, even without hypoglycemia, is common with acute adrenal insufficiency.
    Increased skin pigmentation and salt craving are common in chronic primary adrenal insufficiency. These symptoms are not seen in patients with secondary or central adrenal insufficiency resulting from ACTH or CRH deficiency, since these conditions do not elevate serum ACTH concentrations. Excess MSH activity causes hyperpigmentation. If the defect lies in the pituitary or hypothalamus, no defect exists in aldosterone production because the renin-angiotensin system adequately stimulates the adrenal zona glomerulosa to ensure sufficient aldosterone concentrations and to prevent salt wasting.
    Patients who have been on long-term pharmacologic doses of glucocorticoids in the recent past are prone to develop symptoms of adrenal insufficiency when they are stressed by an illness or trauma. In this situation, adrenal insufficiency is due to chronic suppression of CRH and ACTH by exogenous glucocorticoids, and these patients consequently are unable to mount an appropriate cortisol response to stress. These patients do not waste sodium because their renin-angiotensin system maintains aldosterone secretion. Recovery of the hypothalamic-pituitary-adrenal axis may take weeks to months and is related to duration of pharmacological glucocorticoid exposure.
    Physical:

Patients with acute adrenal insufficiency generally present with acute dehydration, hypotension, hypoglycemia, or altered mental status. These signs usually occur in an acutely ill patient with sepsis or disseminated intravascular coagulation or following a traumatic delivery.
    Patients with chronic adrenal insufficiency may demonstrate increased skin pigmentation, particularly in areolae, genitalia, scars, and moles. Typically, recent scars are affected more than those preceding onset. Areas unexposed to sun (eg, palmar creases, axillae, areolae) often are hyperpigmented. The patient also may have pigmentary lines in the gums. Signs of weight loss may be evident. If not frankly hypotensive, the patient may demonstrate orthostatic hypotension. Some patients also may lose pubic and axillary hair (but not become totally alopecic) because adrenal androgens support growth of body hair in these areas.
    Wolman disease (OMIM *278000), an autosomal recessive disorder caused by a deficiency of lysosomal acid lipase, generally is accompanied by hepatosplenomegaly and adrenal calcifications, which may be seen on plain radiographs or CT scan of the adrenal glands.

It's mind boggling when one feels so sick yet the medical teams can't find a diagnosis. sometimes it takes months before a true diagnosis can be made.
    depending on the severity of it. sometimes it doesn't show up in blood work when it's at the beginning stages. I'm not speaking of the adrenal illness itself, but any type of illness. some take a long time to show itself even though the patient is suffering with symtoms.
    I too suffered on and off with multiple medical symtoms and it was very frustrating for me to have to go from doctor to doctor. some make you feel like it's all in your head. especially if you're a female. they blame it on hormones or a mental issue saying that one has too much stress going on in their life. then they refer you to see a psychiatrist to rule out mental illness. how demeaning it made me feel.
    the best thing I can tell you is to hang in there. you're doing the best you can at this point and I understand the frustration you're feeling. especially if you have to work a full time job and go to doctors in between work. this does not make your coworkers or boss very happy.
    it's like finding a needle in a haystack sometimes. some are misdiagnosed before finding an answer years up the road, which I hope is not in your case.
    at least you're trying all avenues that are out there. be careful though of some people, because they say they're there to help you and will tell you anything so you have an answer. because an answer is what you went to them for to begin with. so they'll tell you any answer.

I hope you're able to find out what is going on.
    sincerely,
    Linda

Closed Thread