It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Open to All Other Health Topics Message Board

• Help/Constant Coughing/Gagging

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-20-2007, 02:12 AM   #1
    FortWorthTexas
    (female)

FortWorthTexas HB User
    Help/Constant Coughing/Gagging

To make a long story short, I always feel like my throat is filled with mucus, My nose is not runny, or stopped up. I have to cough literally every 2 minutes or so and cough it out. I have been doing this for almost 3 years, I just recently got pregnant I am 13wks, and It has became worse! I can barely sleep bc when I lay down, I feel like I will choke, even when Im sitting up the stuff in the back of my throat gags me. Has anyone had this happen? What causes it? How can I get it to stop? Its very embarrassing, to other ppl its like I have a hairball in my throat!

A little back history, When I was 10, I had my tonsils and adnoids removed, So I dont know if maybe that has something to do with it???
    Also when I was 17-18, I got mixed up with a bad crowd and started doing meth, I only smoked it, and when I would it made me cough constantly. I know the chemicals in meth can burn your throat/lungs etc.
    Is it possible to have made a "dip" like a pocket in my throat that holds my mucus, from using the drugs, making me constantly cough?

Im trying to think of every possible cause, If you have any insight, please please respond, I am a completely different person now that this is going on.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-20-2007, 11:24 AM   #2
    KyWildOne
    (female)

KyWildOne HB User
    Re: Help/Constant Coughing/Gagging

I don't know if this will help much, but every little bit might.

I got a nasty cough like that about twice a year, that would last over a month. Sometimes I could cough something up, but most of the time I could not. I would get it around the same time everyone else would get the upper resp infections.
    I would cough so much my ribs would hurt.

Mine ended up being Allergry related. That might be something to think about. This will hopefully be my first Spring without the cough that seemed to never go away.

On a side note, I would not mention previous older drug usage to a Dr unless he asked me first. I have a close friend that was a Meth user years ago, and now that her PCP knows this, he pretty much blames everything on that without even looking farther in to it.

Good Luck.

Old 03-20-2007, 03:38 PM   #3
    _mystiger_
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

_mystiger_ HB User
    Re: Help/Constant Coughing/Gagging

I don't know if this will be any help but when there is mucus or phlegm on our lungs, our body generates a cough to clear it off the lungs. I'm wondering if perhaps you have Asthma or even a chest infection? Best thing to do is see your Doctor & let him have a listen to your chest & also get a Xray to be on the safe side. It could also be allergy related as the previous poster said & perhaps even a throat infection as these can sometimes cause coughing & mucus in the back of your throat - especially with laryginitis.

Closed Thread