It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Open to All Other Health Topics Message Board

• Intrathecal Opiate Pump Granulomas

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-21-2007, 12:34 AM   #1
    Gabby8357
    (female)

Gabby8357 HB User
    Intrathecal Opiate Pump Granulomas

Hello. I'm a 47 yr. old with hx of multiple back surgeries and a L3-S1 fusion with BAK instrumentation since 1998. I've had an intrathecal opiate pump for the last 8 years. I was recently diagnosed with my 2nd catheter tip granuloma. The first one was removed about 2 years ago. The 2nd granuloma was diagnosed last August. Now I am being weaned off the opiates to prepare for surgery. My frustration is that they are thinking of removing my pump, which is the only thing that gives me pain relief without all the side effects. I was on all kinds of oral opiates before my pump was implanted, which left me feeling loopy, tired and generally lethargic. My body has adjusted to the pump quite well. I am really frustrated at the thought of going back on all the oral meds, especially since I was able to return to gainful employment with my pump. Is there anyone out there who is familiar with catheter tip granulomas or the statistics regarding recurrent granulomas as a result of intrathecal opiates? I am at my wit's end with this whole mess. I have lost most of the feeling on the right side of my body from the waist down due to the granuloma. Actually, that's how this whole thing was diagnosed to begin with. I started to lose feeling in my right leg. Any suggestions would be appreciated. I am currently on methadone for withdrawls and percocet and Fentanyl patches for the additional pain while they turn my pump down in preparation for surgery. Any suggestions?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread